Thunder Fighter Research

No. It's scratch built. I have seen the EAD up close and personal and you can see it's scratch built. I looked at all sorts of aircraft wings as well:cool

Mark

The EA Destroyer's wings are actually the THUNDERFIGHTERS wings. The main "intakes" on the hull are from the F-15, two were used.

The only scratch part on the EAD is the "bridge" hammerhead that was a vac formed piece.

All courtesy my Ken Larson, who I've had a few good conversations about working on Buck and the tail of BSG. Most of the is on his site, http://www.universalhartland.com/

And no, he doesn't have any more pics to share right now . . . I've asked!

Ryan

This is one for the military historians or model builders. Does anyone else think this decal looks like a shark over a boat/torpedo?

I've looked through over 900 U-Boat insignias and none match. This is an example from a U-Boat showing a fish with a curved tail. Maybe it's a logo from some submarine hunting squadron??
2522pk2.jpg

I think I may have found the mystery marking. It looks a lot like a marking for a WWII German Armor Unit. Check out this set of Microscale Decals.

1311at1.jpg

What do you think?

Sorry Ryan, the head of the EAD is not a vac form part. It's from the 1/25 M23. It's an indy car but not Tamiya's. This kit also has parts for the Base Star. The vac formed ones he is referring to are the ones made for the spin off that was planned for the Terra and EA cast.
The wings are from the TF yes but they were scratch built. Not kit bashed.
And it takes 1 Fujim F-15 and 3 Revell F-15's to make the main body. And the Fujimi and Revell necks are used for the extended neck and the Airfix/MPC hawk kit is the engine portion of the head section. I can back this all up with picts.
Kenny's memory is going bad it would seem.

Mark

Last edited:
Sorry Ryan, the head of the EAD is not a vac form part. It's from the 1/25 M23. It's an indy car but not Tamiya's. This kit also has parts for the Base Star. The vac formed ones he is referring to are the ones made for the spin off that was planned for the Terra and EA cast.
The wings are from the TF yes but they were scratch built. Not kit bashed.
And it takes 1 Fujim F-15 and 3 Revell F-15's to make the main body. And the Fujimi and Revell necks are used for the extended neck and the Airfix/MPC hawk kit is the engine portion of the head section. I can back this all up with picts.
Kenny's memory is going bad it would seem.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the info! I've been working on trying to get one of these up and running as yet another side project since we started the SS Thunder. Would love to see your pics, but I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than its already been, any chance you'd want to start it off with a bang and post those?
Would be a nice collaboration build . . .

Ryan

I think I may have found the mystery marking. It looks a lot like a marking for a WWII German Armor Unit. Check out this set of Microscale Decals.

1311at1.jpg

What do you think?

The one in the middle of the sheet just to the left of the circle decals has to be the best candidate I've seen so far. Very promising indeed :thumbsup

Do we know what the purpose of that marking on the vehicle means?

Yes sir!

That CERTAINLY looks like a possibility! :cool

Steve, are these something we can see closer, as do you actually have them, or do we need to pick up a sheet from somewhere?

Rob.

RKW,
I think the markings are German Armor Division markings.

The first ones I found were on a pic of a decal sheet on the side of the box for a 1/35 Flak kit by Dragon. I decided to check after market decals made by Microscale. I went to their website and the first one I pulled up had the markings on it in 1/72 and 1/48 scales. The decal sheet is $6, but is currently out of stock. I suspect the decals they used on the Thunder Fighter came out of one of the kits used for parts.

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2...e=13-1&Category_Code=MILITARY&Product_Count=0

Those are indeed divisional markings, identifying the what unit the vehicle belongs to. They were used early in the war, and LOTS of the Tamiya German armor kits include some of them. Typically, they were white or yellow (to show up against the dark grey base color used before 1943), but the marking on the Thunderfighter looks black.

I just got an e-mail back from Microscale Decals. They are currently redrawing decal set 13-1 to computer artwork and it will be out of stock for at least 90 days.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back