Thread Question

Cameron1138

So, for my next couple of sewing projects, I'm making some coats that I want to be able to use as part of my everyday wardrobe in addition to for cosplay. Therefore, I have to make them as sturdy and long-lasting as possible. This is making me wonder about thread choice. I had been using Coats & Clark Dual Duty, which is made of polyester covered polyester. The owner of the local shop where I got my new sewing machine said that that sort of thread is crap and that I shouldn't use it, although he didn't say why. However, I've also sometimes used a heavier thread by C&C (I believe it's ccalled All Purpose or something) made of mercerized cotton. Which is more reliable and sturdy in the long run, polyester thread or heavier cotton thread?

Edit: If the fabric type is relevant, the first coat I'm making will be made of 100% wool with 100% polyester lining, and the second coat I'm making will be made of 100% polyester faux suede and polyester lining.

Not sure what his beef with Coats & Clark is but I know the Dual Duty XP line is probably your best bet. Other options are a heavy duty nylon thread which can be used for sewing anything that requires strength and durability. Here's a site I stumbled upon awhile back when I was looking into threads for a project: Polyester Thread Info

Thanks. I did some research online and found similar info elsewhere, saying that polyester thread should be sturdier than cotton thread.

Thanks. I did some research online and found similar info elsewhere, saying that polyester thread should be sturdier than cotton thread.
No problem. Yeah, I think as long as you stick with the Dual Duty XP line you're good. I'm sure there are more expensive threads in the same category but from what I've seen C&C should be fine. The only differences I could find between the nylon and polyester was the way it reacts to bleach, sun, etc.

Yes, polyester thread is studier than cotton thread. Eventually, cotton rots over time - I would only recommend cotton thread if you are doing heirloom sewing, or recreating a historical garment where cotton thread would have been used. Polyester thread will outlast the wool.

MaulWalker - sewing for almost 50 years.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back