Thrawn's Ysalamir/Ysalamiri Build - Ideas

adam010289

Alright, so this started out is a little bit of a joke as I've been working on a Grand Admiral Thrawn costme over the past few weeks. However, the more I think about it the more I want it.

I'm drawing on your knowlege to see if it's possible to sculpt (or commission) a full size semi articulated Ysalamir/Ysalamiri.

My skills are limited so I'm really after someone or a producer who has these skills to produce such an item.

501st approvable is a must and I strive for perfection. Here's some reference:

YsalamiriEGttF.jpg

8617013.jpg

Grand_Admiral_Thrawn_by_Evolvana.jpg

I remember from reading the trilogy of books they describe it as being on a frame of some sorts, a bit like a back pack you could take on and off, over just wrapped around your shoulders like in the pictures.

However I haven't read or seen the comics so not sure what is considered official by the 501st or which came first the book or the graphic novel, but personally I think the frame you wear like a backpack is the more believable option, as can you honestly see a Grand Admiral with a lizard round his shoulders and lizard poo dripping down the back of his white uniform, I think not lol.

If you want I can dig out the books and find the description but up to you.

:) Don

I seem to recall from the books that the Ysalamiri were described as having two heads. Something all of these artistic renditions are lacking.

- Bill

I seem to recall from the books that the Ysalamiri were described as having two heads. Something all of these artistic renditions are lacking.

I don't remember that ...

My friend was going to crochet me one, but that didn't end up happening. It wouldn't have been very realistic, but it'd have been cute :)

Thanks for all the replies :) The frame is something I can probably do myself, but the hard part is the Ysalamiri itself. CFX masks can do one for $2,500 but that is well over my budget.

There are no 501st standards for the Ysalamiri itself, rather I'm just looking for something of quality that is as close as possible to the first pictures.

They need to go on a frame, because they can't be removed from the trees.

Yeah the images around Thrawn's shoulders are one of the many inaccuracies from the comic. To do it correctly it would be on a support frame. I think Karrde says in the books that they can be removed from the trees, you just have to know how to do it correctly.

Hi all

So I did a bit of reading from 'Heir to the Empire' which is the first book to mention the Ysalamiri and discovered the following which might or might not help.

They are no more than 50cm long and not predatory.

Their claws grow directly into the branch they are living on, which indicates they feed from the sap of the tree for most of their life not moving around.

They are described and quote "Fur scaled salamander like creature."

And at one point it's referred to Thrawn stroking its long neck.

I found this picture which fits in more with their description (although I get the impression its neck could be longer,) as the pictures posted so far seem more lizard and predatory looking, and they defiantly don't do the whole neck scarf thing.

Ysalamiri.jpg

As for the frame it's described as thick and heavy tube, and wraps around the neck and back, and at one point is called a nutrient frame.

That can be interpreted any number of ways, but if I were making one I would go for a backpack type frame that starts at the bottom of your back and just comes over the top of the shoulders, and the Ysalamiri would be still on its branch but fixed to a frame. Being a costume item, used at conventions and such like I always feel the public like things to look at that work, so as they refer to it as a nutrient frame, I would incorporate a couple of small sealed canisters of coloured water and a small 12v pump to pump it around some clear tube wrapped around the frame and feeding in and out of the branch the Ysalamiri is on, and something sci fi mechanic like on the lower portion of the frame which would power it all. As its referred to Thrawn reaching up and stroking its neck I would mount one across the shoulders leaving the lower frame to mount the other stuff to.

I included a very rough sketch if I were making it, using copper tube for the main frame as it's easy to bend and work with, and still light then attach a real or plastic log drilled to take the clear pipe, then construct something to go at the bottom of the frame tech wise looking like other star wars stuff does.

You could then get off ebay or local hiking shop some backpack padding for the lower back and shoulders and have shoulder and waist straps to hold it on. However that's just me and my interpretation of what I would do.

IMG_6833.jpg

:) Don

Ps, forgive my stick Ysalamiri I'm not good at drawing creatures

Thanks for all the replies so far! After reading Heir to the Empire last night there's so much that doesn't add up to the pictures. It has mention of fur, talks about how they can't be removed from trees but then Thrawn goes back for more and it seems all too easy.

I'm a little stumped. I would love to have this and special thanks to Don with your idea/drawing of the backpack feeder hyprid. It does make alot of sense even if it's not visualised in the books or by Sideshow.

I'm considering putting this part of the project on hold. Mainly due to the costs and that I'm putting so much effort into the costume (right down to red Sclera lenses) it might take away the effect. Working out how the backpack/frame will work around the hard rank boards too.

Please! Keep the ideas flowing :) That's why I love the community.

Thanks for all the replies so far! After reading Heir to the Empire last night there's so much that doesn't add up to the pictures. It has mention of fur, talks about how they can't be removed from trees but then Thrawn goes back for more and it seems all too easy.

I'm a little stumped. I would love to have this and special thanks to Don with your idea/drawing of the backpack feeder hyprid. It does make alot of sense even if it's not visualised in the books or by Sideshow.

I'm considering putting this part of the project on hold. Mainly due to the costs and that I'm putting so much effort into the costume (right down to red Sclera lenses) it might take away the effect. Working out how the backpack/frame will work around the hard rank boards too.

Please! Keep the ideas flowing :) That's why I love the community.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back