Thrasher's HIC build thread

Thrashers

I'm new here been lurking for awhile & figured I document my Han Solo in carbonite build here. I've been planning on this build for several years and just recently pulled the trigger and started. I wanted to do as much of this myself, learn some stuff along the way, & stay budget conscious. I had access to a CNC machine & 3d printers through a maker space i joined so I'm taking advantage of that. I cut my own box using the blueprints and DXF files on the Yahoo HIC builders group. I also am printing out the side panels and greebles from the files that flimzy posted to Thingivere ( they are great need some resizing but VERY APPRECIATED)
IMG_4007.jpeg
IMG_4009.jpeg

Odd that you had to scale the Volvo pannel that much as it was drawn from a fiber glas casting any shrinkage would be global and less than 1 percent but I'm glad you like the file and looking forward to seeing it finished.

Odd that you had to scale the Volvo pannel that much as it was drawn from a fiber glas casting any shrinkage would be global and less than 1 percent but I'm glad you like the file and looking forward to seeing it finished.
I had to rework the panel openings on the box files form the HIC builders group to work with your panels. Adjusted the shape of the sides and move the tab cut outs closer together. Your panels are about 5mm shorter than the Volvo panels and the shape is ever so slightly different. I'm having my edited box files cut now. Luckily the files could be opened in Adobe illustrator and I could fix them. I tried to get you STL box files
cut, but no one wanted to cut from STL. Which is a shame your box is awesome. I've printed 5 of your panels so far and love them!

Last edited:
flimzy I used the dxf file from the yahoo group- I assumed it was set to cut on the line, but it could have been intended to cut inside the line (this changes the hole size by the width of the bit) the tabs were off by 5mm, it may be some shrinkage from the casting and a faulty assumption on the cut ( my first time on the CNC ) it’s only 2% - I did a global resize and the curve (short side) was off - perfect would most likely be 1% on y and 2% on x but I stopped when I found a recipie I was happy with ( I did prolly 6 or 7 partial test prints) I expect a good bit of trial and error as well as figuring out fitments etc ( I’m a newbie at all of this) Your 3D files are amazing - THANK YOU ! I appreciate that you spent the time to do them and make them available for people. BTW I’m struggling to print the U clips any advice on positioning or supports ?

The shape is different ? What do you mean? Sent photos

Ok. The first image is the cut out for a real Volvo panel. As you can see with your 3D panel the shape is slightly off.
The second image is the edit I made to the cut out file.
IMG_1764.jpeg
IMG_1765.jpeg

Last edited:
I didn't actually print the clips I bought them . I did make a file to laser cut and fold them in aluminium but it was easer to buy them. I'm lucky I have a form2 resin printer so they could be made on that the would be tricky on a FDM printer

The cast I have is a real Volvo pannel. I worked on last Jedi, ( don't hate me I didn't write the script ) the hole in the box never was the same shape as the pannel. It's actually rounded off.

The cast I have is a real Volvo pannel. I worked on last Jedi, ( don't hate me I didn't write the script ) the hole in the box never was the same shape as the pannel. It's actually rounded off.
Have to agree. Looking at pictures there's a bit of space between the panel and side of the hole. They don't meet up flush.

I liked Last Jedi - as a Monday morning quarterback I wish somethings were different (based on real world situations) and a few choices were a bit much but overall I liked it ( force awakens raised quite a high bar) on the model the tabs were off a bit and with the cut the total off was 5mm the base for the handle also seems off don’t know for sure, but I adjusted the 3D model to fit - I’m gonna try to thicken or fill in the u clip to print better . If it works I’ll post a remix to thingiverse & link to your original - thank you again

What I'm saying is, have you attualy put a real pannel next to a printed side by side. Other wise how do you know your reference is right? And the hole in the box according to the ILM box doesn't follow the pannel it has rounded edgest and angles back. I didn't do that on mine because it a lot of work for not much payoff. I'll post pictures when I have 5 mins at work

I had no luck printing the u-clips. I ended up buying a metal set from Zenix. It's really not worth your time and energy to
edit the files, play with your printer setting, and try and print 20 of these things. I had a tiny bit of luck separating the top
part of the file shrinking it to sit against the main clip. It printed better, but was still too thin and flimsy to work. Maybe if they
were solid?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back