Thoughts on The Army Painter paints?

masterjedi322

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I need to get some acrylics to weather a costume I’m working on. While doing a quick search on Amazon, these Army Painter sets kept coming up.

Looks like they have a wide range of kits, different color themes, mixing bottles, etc. for a relatively competitive price compared to some of the other brands.

Has anyone used these? Any comments on quality? Ease of airbrushing? Etc.

Sean

Depending on the effect you are looking for, you can use Diatomaceous Earth. You work it into the cloth and it looks like you have actually used it out in the real world. Make sure you get food grade for safety reasons. Lots of Special Effects and Costume people use this. Best part is you can still wash the item if you need to and just have to reapply as needed.

I bought a set about a year or so ago and they've worked well for me. They water down nicely for use in airbrush and the bottles make it very easy to control how much paint you use. The only real downside is that the bottles are pretty small, so if you're going to be doing a lot of weathering these paints wouldn't be that good of a deal. If you plan on weathering large parts of your costume, I'd just buy some cheap acrylics from Michaels. I've bought these from Michales and they've worked well enough for me for painting models, props, and miniatures.

I need to get some acrylics to weather a costume I’m working on. While doing a quick search on Amazon, these Army Painter sets kept coming up.

Looks like they have a wide range of kits, different color themes, mixing bottles, etc. for a relatively competitive price compared to some of the other brands.

Has anyone used these? Any comments on quality? Ease of airbrushing? Etc.

Sean

I use Army Painter spray can primers as my primary source. I love the grey primer the best. I find them very durable

as far as the acrylic bottle paints, I have picked up a few of the Star Wars Legion color sets since they had lots of useful colors specific to Star wars stuff. Really great color choices and pretty good matches as well
The silver metallics like Durasteel and Astromech Silver are amazing and the Strong Tone and Shadow Was are really useful

Some colors cover really well, others require several layers. This is true with most paint lines anyway though

If you are familiar with Vallejo paints, these are identical in the way they work/thin for brush painting and airbrush

If you do airbrush with them, I would suggest using the Army Painter brand thinner

not sure how economical or durable the bottle paints would be for cosplay armor, but they should be ok with a clear coat at least

I use them for gaming miniatures which get handled a lot and they hold up

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I’ll definitely check out the Michael’s paints for larger costumes and the Army Painter stuff for smaller projects.

Sean

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back