thought on eva foams

rangemaster

Hey guys I'm trying to strengthen the EVA foam Ironman suit I built and I was wondering if anyone has used ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) on this foam. Seems like a great concept to do vacuum forming plastics but I have no experience at all and from what I've seen from the process the biggest problem would be the foam melting while being applied. I've never tried it thats why I'm posing this question to the community to see if anyone has had experience with this or similar vacuum formed plastics. My goal is ultimately try to maintain a foamy underside to the armor (the parts that contact the body) and have the outer shell be hard and strong (unlike resins which could crack easier)
Thanks

If you look at the xrobots site - james has a really good bit on vacuforming plastic onto foam. Might help. I tried it but the vacuform table I built was rubbish. You could always just keep glossing it - it wont be perfectly hard but you can get close.

I'd use XRobots' woodglue&Smooth-on method for plastic coated costumes,and woodglue&plastidip for strong-yet-supple effect.

I did have another idea. You could use wonder flex . It's a thermoplastic. You cut out the shape you need - warm in water/ heat gun. Then stick it on the piece of armour- it's self adhesive. It sets hard in about 2 minutes. I used it to cover a foam shield last year. Really easy and you can paint it after.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back