Thor's Hammer Mjolnir

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by BlindSquirrel, Mar 1, 2006.

1. BlindSquirrel

BlindSquirrel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]

I had some scap lumber laying around so I decided to build my own Mjolnir, mainly patterned after the Walt Simonson version.

I made it extra big... 24" long with a heavy 9" x 6' x 4" head. Any mortal SHOULD feel like a girly-man when picking it up (assuming he be worthy :p )

[​IMG]

Build up photos (as always) are on the blog.

2. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Another excellent scratch build. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Walt Simonson was my FAVORITE Thor illustrator. He always seemed to get it just right.

3. Beeb89

Beeb89 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You gotta love that hammer. Very well done.

-B89. :D

4. Polluxius

Polluxius Active Member

Great Job

5. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Very Nice. :) Great tutorial on your blog, too.

What did you use to attach the vinyl wrapping?

6. BlindSquirrel

I used contact cement for the start and end of the wraps as well as the bands at top and bottom. Since it was such a bear getting the wrap pattern right (or should I say even), I waited until the end was secure and then snuck a little Gorilla Glue under the intersections with a toothpick.

7. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Awesome looking hammer. Love the wrap on the handle.

8. upandatom

upandatom Well-Known Member

Dude, that rocks. I wanted to buy one the Thor hammers that was for sale in the junkyard recently, but the seller suffers from 'can't-ship-to-canada-itis' so I think I'm going to take a stab at building one. Great tutorial.

9. upandatom

Anyone ever consider taking a stab at Thor's hammer from The Ultimates? I've often thought of what a cool prop that would make.

10. BlindSquirrel

That's one I would love to do but I don't have a lathe. I'm also considering doing Beta Ray Bill's hammer ("Stormbreaker"?) and the one from Hellboy. I think they'd make a cool set.

11. Nexus6

I'd been wanting to try my hand at building a Mjolnir replica for years, but could never figure out how to make the head. So I borrowed your MDF idea & ran with it. :$

Thanks for the inspiration & the light bulb. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. BlindSquirrel

Very nice. I like the texture on the head. :thumbsup

13. D48thRonin

D48thRonin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I did the Hellboy Mjolnir about 4 years ago - I had a lot of fun doing it and I was quite happy with how it turned out:

[​IMG]

14. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, but not in a way that most others would immediately think of... ;)

15. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The ultimates version almost HAS to be made out of metal due to the blade on it, yes?

16. brin

brin Well-Known Member

You've done an awesome job on that hammer...as a matter of fact, all hammers in this thread are fantastic. Keep 'em coming.
    -Brin

17. upandatom

Hey Nexus, what'd you use to wrap the handle? Is that real leather? Looks great.

18. Nexus6

Hey thanks. No, it's "pleather", or naugahyde, or whatever you want to call it (leather-esque material backed by fabric). The original color was a brown but it looked kind of fakey. A friend of mine had a can of black paint/stain/gel called 'Delta Opaque Acrylic Base Coat'. I cut the pleather into a long 1.25" wide strip. Then I laid it all out & with a rag, I stained it with the base coat (making sure to get the edges, so the lighter-colored backing fabric would not be visible). Then before the base coat dried, I took a clean rag & wiped some of the product off so that the original color was showing through, & most (not all, but most) of the black was confined to the grain of the wrapping. It really aged the pleather just right. I couldn't be happier with the results.

19. brin

brin Well-Known Member

Here's mine,
    Of course I can't take credit for the hammer itself (Cinema Secrets) except for repainting the head, but I did all the handle wrapping with leather and stains from Tandy Leather.
    Weathering is all Dremel, and beating it on frost giants and stuff. :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I love the hammers.
    -Brin

20. darth_sayder

darth_sayder New Member

cool hammers.

21. upandatom

I've got a question for you cats that've finished your hammers. I've got mine at the 'bondo' stage according to the awesome tutorial on BlindSquirrel's blog (thanks bro.) and I put some bondo on a test piece of MDF to see how my choice of paint would look before I tried it on the hammer itself. Here's my conundrum.

I only bondo-ed half of my test piece, but wound up painting the whole thing. The half with the bondo seems much more susceptible to chipping than the side that's just painted straight on the MDF. Would I be running into trouble if I just painted the hammer without bondo-ing it? The paint I'm using is 'hammered metal' (kinda seemed appropriate :p) and says it doesn't require primer as it's an uneven finish and will mask any problems without primer.

Help me out boys.

-kyle

22. BlindSquirrel

I used the Bondo to fill major holes (most was sanded off) and a Krylon automotive primer surfacer to give me a smooth finish before painting.

I'm a big fan of the hammered paint. That should look cool...please post pix when you're done.

23. brin

brin Well-Known Member

Yes please, I love the hammers.
    Or did I already say that? :lol
    -Brin

24. brin

brin Well-Known Member

Any updates on da hammers?
    Did I mention I love the hammers? :lol
    -Brin

25. BlindSquirrel

I am well into the build of Beta Ray Thor's Stormbreaker. I expect in a few weeks I will be posting pics in a new thread.

juliocolon1 likes this.
  26. brin

brin Well-Known Member

Fantastic. :thumbsup

27. upandatom

Squirrel, hopefully you'll have another great tutorial on your blog for Stormbreaker, too. I'm at the painting stage of my Mjolnir, I'll definitely post pics when it's ready, it's a little different than yours... :)

28. brin

brin Well-Known Member

Not to be impatient but... :lol

29. Spheric Thor

Spheric Thor Well-Known Member

Here is Thor's Hammer that I got from Rylo. I added the leather wrapping and the inscription on the side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. upandatom

Cool. What'd you use for the leather? That's the stage I'm at with my Thor project. Which I wouldn't have HAD to do if Rylo would have shipped one of those babies to Canada. Dagnabbit.

31. Spheric Thor

I used a leather wrap made for tennis racquets.

32. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Very nice. How did you do the inscription?

Are you for hire? :love

33. Spheric Thor

I did the inscription on my computer and printed it out on decal paper. I post the artwork for the inscription if you want.

34. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

That would be great. :)

35. Spheric Thor

Here is a link to the TIF file, right click and select save target as to download it:

Thor's inscription

36. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

i have the same inscription on my condoms

37. upandatom

To each their own, I guess, but my condoms say "...if SHE be worthy..." :lol

38. upandatom

I finally finished my hammer. I made a few extra cuts than blindsquirrel, just my personal preference to have the 'hammer' portions a touch smaller than the main body. I couldn't be happier with the choice of paint. Here're some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yea verily, yon Mug Root Mead tis truly the nectar of the gods.

39. Docking Bay 93

Docking Bay 93 New Member

I'm just curious: what was Mjolnir supposed to be made of?

Great hammers, guys.

-E

40. Nexus6

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Docking Bay 93 @ May 1 2006, 03:21 AM) [snapback]1236251[/snapback]</div>
    "Uru" metal.

41. brin

brin Well-Known Member

That's an awesome HUGE looking hammer, great job.
    Brin

42. blackbok

blackbok New Member

Ok, here's mine (like I haven't shown it enough)...

[attachmentid=7857][attachmentid=7858]

43. BlindSquirrel

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blackbok @ May 1 2006, 07:53 AM) [snapback]1236351[/snapback]</div>

I like the texture that you have on the Uru....It's making me rethink my paint job. :confused

44. upandatom

Hey Squirrel, what's the status of your Stormbreaker project?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlindSquirrel @ May 1 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]1236508[/snapback]</div>

I like the texture that you have on the Uru....It's making me rethink my paint job. :confused
    [/b][/quote]

45. BlindSquirrel

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(upandatom @ May 1 2006, 01:03 PM) [snapback]1236526[/snapback]</div>
    You guys don't let a brother slack off, do you?. :lol

Well, I spent the weekend touching up the paint, cursing at the fumes, top coating, cursing at the wind and building and weathering the strap. I should be assembling it in the next few days. It will probably depend on how stinky the top coat is (my gauge for dryness.).

I expect by this weekend I'll have pictures here and build-up on the blog.

46. upandatom

Sweet. Looking forward to checking it out. :D

[/quote]
    You guys don't let a brother slack off, do you?. :lol

Well, I spent the weekend touching up the paint, cursing at the fumes, top coating, cursing at the wind and building and weathering the strap. I should be assembling it in the next few days. It will probably depend on how stinky the top coat is (my gauge for dryness.).

I expect by this weekend I'll have pictures here and build-up on the blog.
    [/quote]

47. Cptnchaos

Cptnchaos Well-Known Member

Awesome work.

I made a FOAM one covered in Gaffers tape with a wooden wrapped handle for my girlfriend to smash Spiders with...

HA, its not really SILVER anymore... its more like a tainted grey with lots and LOTS of red on it.

(Wolf spiders are frikkin HUGE in Florida..)

;)

Love your work guys..

Damian

48. BlindSquirrel

49. Cptnchaos

Cptnchaos Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlindSquirrel @ Mar 2 2006, 08:58 PM) [snapback]1197406[/snapback]</div>

That's one I would love to do but I don't have a lathe. I'm also considering doing Beta Ray Bill's hammer ("Stormbreaker"?) and the one from Hellboy. I think they'd make a cool set.
    [/b][/quote]

I was thinking of making it out of PLASTIC, like the STING sword that was being sold awhile ago. I want to put SUPER LED's inside to make the hammer and the axe blade glow.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this thing PLEASE let me know and I will jump right on this...

Thanks

Damian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brin @ Mar 21 2006, 10:32 AM) [snapback]1210042[/snapback]</div>

Brin... WHERE did you get that Thor helm??? thats AWESOME...

D

50. Lukes Roommate

Lukes Roommate Well-Known Member

Dang, all these Hammers are great.
    Definitely one of my all time favourite comic weapons, from one of my all time favourite characters.
    Walt Simonson's run on Thor was incredible.

Great stuff.