Thor's Hammer Mjolnir

BlindSquirrel

Sr Member
11Final2.jpg

I had some scap lumber laying around so I decided to build my own Mjolnir, mainly patterned after the Walt Simonson version.

I made it extra big... 24" long with a heavy 9" x 6' x 4" head. Any mortal SHOULD feel like a girly-man when picking it up (assuming he be worthy :p )

12Final1.jpg

Build up photos (as always) are on the blog.

Another excellent scratch build. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Walt Simonson was my FAVORITE Thor illustrator. He always seemed to get it just right.

Originally posted by rocketeer25@Mar 2 2006, 07:22 AM
Very Nice.  :)  Great tutorial on your blog, too.

What did you use to attach the vinyl wrapping?
[snapback]1197158[/snapback]​

I used contact cement for the start and end of the wraps as well as the bands at top and bottom. Since it was such a bear getting the wrap pattern right (or should I say even), I waited until the end was secure and then snuck a little Gorilla Glue under the intersections with a toothpick.

Dude, that rocks. I wanted to buy one the Thor hammers that was for sale in the junkyard recently, but the seller suffers from 'can't-ship-to-canada-itis' so I think I'm going to take a stab at building one. Great tutorial.

Anyone ever consider taking a stab at Thor's hammer from The Ultimates? I've often thought of what a cool prop that would make.

Originally posted by upandatom@Mar 2 2006, 01:24 PM
Anyone ever consider taking a stab at Thor's hammer from The Ultimates?  I've often thought of what a cool prop that would make.
[snapback]1197376[/snapback]​

That's one I would love to do but I don't have a lathe. I'm also considering doing Beta Ray Bill's hammer ("Stormbreaker"?) and the one from Hellboy. I think they'd make a cool set.

I'd been wanting to try my hand at building a Mjolnir replica for years, but could never figure out how to make the head. So I borrowed your MDF idea & ran with it. :$

Thanks for the inspiration & the light bulb. ;)

Originally posted by upandatom@Mar 2 2006, 12:45 PM
Anyone ever consider taking a stab at Thor's hammer from The Ultimates? I've often thought of what a cool prop that would make.
[snapback]1197284[/snapback]​

Yes, but not in a way that most others would immediately think of... ;)

You've done an awesome job on that hammer...as a matter of fact, all hammers in this thread are fantastic. Keep 'em coming.
-Brin

Originally posted by upandatom@Mar 17 2006, 04:37 AM
Hey Nexus, what'd you use to wrap the handle?  Is that real leather?  Looks great.
[snapback]1207598[/snapback]​
Hey thanks. No, it's "pleather", or naugahyde, or whatever you want to call it (leather-esque material backed by fabric). The original color was a brown but it looked kind of fakey. A friend of mine had a can of black paint/stain/gel called 'Delta Opaque Acrylic Base Coat'. I cut the pleather into a long 1.25" wide strip. Then I laid it all out & with a rag, I stained it with the base coat (making sure to get the edges, so the lighter-colored backing fabric would not be visible). Then before the base coat dried, I took a clean rag & wiped some of the product off so that the original color was showing through, & most (not all, but most) of the black was confined to the grain of the wrapping. It really aged the pleather just right. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Here's mine,
Of course I can't take credit for the hammer itself (Cinema Secrets) except for repainting the head, but I did all the handle wrapping with leather and stains from Tandy Leather.
Weathering is all Dremel, and beating it on frost giants and stuff. :p
134515549.jpg

134515551.jpg

I love the hammers.
-Brin

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back