Thorin Oakenshield ,The Hobbit

That is some real dedication to the costume! You are going to be one happy guy once you start to add color to those cast pieces. The texture is awesome and will really pop with some color and washes. Looking forward to seeing this one come together!

Added a few pieces to the muscle suit today.
15780089184_3996f918c9_o.jpg

16376579636_47c80301f6_o.jpg

16400804511_630218be0a_o.jpg

16215152490_4cb2298c23_o.jpg

Made a little video on how it looks , My shirts are now too small to fit my body. Looks like the Hulk is going to burst through.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, this is absolutely most impressive! I'm new to costume making so seeing all these techniques is just so clever! I really like the sewing of the foam to make the muscles, I'd not have though of that. Brilliant! I'd just die to see this full costume strutting around! I'll keep an eye on this for sure! Thanks for being so inspirational!

Got inspired by some youtube tutorial videos about Paper Mache... Made this from scrap paper. Gonna add more pieces and make it looks more like worn wood. The "Metal" pieces at the end is going to be made from a different material.

Love the muscle suit!

And that's the same thing my son did for his shield!

Here are the reference shots we used, in case you need it. :)

shieldreference.png

Been working on the muscle suit. I have have now made the two part that attaches to the arms T What i have left too do on the arms is to attach the elbow pad with elastic straps.

I also made the two upper pieces on the legs, I figured that i don't want to freeze when wearing just the foam and Thorins pants, so i been sewing the foam onto a old pair of denim jeans.Next part do make is the kneepads and the lower leg parts.

I have sculpted Thorins hair beads and Cold casted them. The large one is for the back of the head and the two smaller ones are for the sides. I use a copper powder because i think it looked good.

The mold

A test fit on some quickly made braids

I was considering making a female version of Thorin recently.
I was expecting quite a lot of work to make this version as well (I can't but liking this "armor") but wow, what you are doing is really nice =)

I will definitely keep looking at what you do!

The weather is getting better and better here in sweden , so i have been able to start painting outside on my balcony. I still have a bucket of sprayed black parts to spray silver.

I am really proud of my work on the belt buckle. Its going to look so good with drybrushing in all that texturing.

All the pieces are painted silver, I am going to be needing to cast a few more strap buckles but i think the amount of metal pieces will be ok.

Starting replicating Thorin's Boots.

I have a boot sole from my previous Dredd cosplay , I plan on making parts from fake fur and fake leather and glue them to the sole. I started by wearing the sole and my muscle suit pants so i get the right thickness around my leg. Then i cover my leg and sole with aluminum foil and then masking tape. That way i get a boot that i can draw my pattern from.

The back pattern for the leather parts

Pattern drawn and cut out from stiffer paper.

The leather on the boot has stitches around the edges so i am gonna replicate them by stitching string. On the real thing i am going to sew straighter than on this test piece.

Its all starting to come together.

Today i have cut out the parts from faux leather.

The boots has decorated leather straps attached to the boots. There are two straps on each side of the boots and they are winded around the boot all the way up and then attached with a belt buckle. You can also see on these pictures that the boots has a nice threads running on the edge of the leather, As i am making mine from faux leather i do not need to use expensive leather thread, It only need to look the same.

I have a wood burning tool that i read can be used to decorate leather. So i first make the two lines on the edge of the strap.

The first half of the pattern is ready.

and the final pieces are done. It became a little sloopy but not bad for the first time.

Onward with the faux leather pieces... The pieces are all cut and i and using super glue to hold them together.

I use this spurrwheel tool do make indents in the fabric where the stitchs are gonna be.

Then i use a thicker thread and just stitch up and down the holes i made.

When finished i turn the fabric around and use a small amount of superglue on all the stitches. This way they are not going to loosen.

An hour later the whole thing sewed.

Fits perfectly.

And then after another hour both pieces are finished. Now i am going to attach the other back pieces and sew them on as well.

A mockup on how the pieces gonna fit together

Started sew

Last edited:
Finally one boots leather parts finished. For the other boot i need to cast a couple more parts before i can finished those leather parts.

Freehand pattern making.

Computer pattern making + design making.

Test build from thin and flimsy printer paper. :thumbsup

This tells my day yesterday...

Now i have 5 meters of darkbrown fake leather...... It's gonna work but i wanted to have the black leather. Damn colorblindness.

Ha! I know that feeling! :lol

The boot is looking awesome by the way! Love the detail you are putting into this build!

Doh! Although you are probably better off with dark brown as it will photograph better than black.

Yeah, Most of his costume is different shades of dark blue, and a little black. Luckily i have enough of the old black leather fabric to finish the boots and the vambrace /gloves. So its only the coat that is getting darkbrown.

Started building the toe cap with Worbla, but it was not as stable as i wanted and there is the risk that it will break if the temperature gets high.
So i scrapped that idea and started over with Styrene plastic.

Marking out the pattern on a old sign.

Cutting out the pieces.

Sanding the pieces so that the glue attach better.

Cutting out the details. This would have been pretty much impossible with worbla because of the thickness.

Glueing the pieces together

Started to attach the borders around the toe caps. Then i am going to attach all the details.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back