Thor Muolnir Bootleg Hammer

dstreety

If you ever seen any of my other post, you know I'm not the best, most accurate prop builder but I do get inspired. So this Thanksgiving I saw a 4 lb hand sledge hammer and decided I needed a Mjölnir hammer. You'll see in the photos the original 4lb hammer with steel (ree) bars wrapped around the head. I found the heaviest bars i could to get as much weight as possible. Then I built a wooden frame with quarter-round trim inside to create the beveled edges. I poured a full 12ozs of bondo in and it barely covered the bottom. Then the investment began, 5 cans later. I wish, wish, wish I'd been able to find a gallon can and saved about $40 and actually had enough to fill the frame completely. The best part of the build is when i popped off the frame, it actually worked! I scribed in some made up symbols and the quote from the good Thor hammer prop. And this is where I am now:

Next steps; stain the handle, painted the head, and add the leather straps. And i was even thinking about getting crazy and buying an electro-magnet at Radio Shack for the base because there's enough metal in this hammer to hold it in place for a cool effect. What'd you guys think?

I think I've got the photos figured out. so...

original hand sledge hammer with reibar
wooden form for bondo
first pour of bondo into frame
hammer

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back