Thor Love & Thunder WIP (pic heavy)

SMP Designs

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This build thread will cover the creation of Thor’s new armor from the Love & Thunder film. When the project was started, reference images were scarce - in fact, the project was completed before the first trailer was released - so the entire project was done with these three images
landt-reference-1.jpg

landt-reference-2.jpg

landt-reference-3.jpg


As always, the pattern was the first step. For the base, I decided to use the pattern that I developed for my Etsy shop. I created a mockup in a similar weight and thickness to the expected finished product and sent it off to the client for a fitting. Once the fit was confirmed, I was able to create a muslin version and sketch out the vest details.

landt-pattern-2.jpg

landt-mock-2.jpg

landt-mock-3.jpg

landt-pattern-1.jpg


I began with the main torso. Using the muslin with the details, I built the vest out of metallic blue and black faux leather backed with headliner foam. In some areas, such as the chest, abs, and sides, 2mm EVA foam was sandwiched between the materials and sewn down to create the depth needed when the “armor” details were added.

There is a large segment of stretch material that extends below the shoulder blades and covers the lower back. This piece will be covered by the cape and allows for a better range of motion and breathability at a point where most men sweat the most.

landt-vest-1.jpg

landt-vest-4.jpg

landt-vest-2.jpg

landt-vest-3.jpg


At this point, I created the shoulder piece and outer collar. I also began cleaning up the templates for the armor pieces and the discs.

landt-vest-5.jpg

landt-vest-6.jpg


Next, the lower parts of the vest were built. The front, side, and back tabs were all constructed by layering headliner foam, 2mm EVA foam, and metallic blue and back faux leather. The back panel attaches with snaps and was made removable to accommodate the zipper.

landt-vest-6a.jpg

landt-vest-6b.jpg

landt-vest-7.jpg

landt-vest-8.jpg

landt-vest-9.jpg

landt-vest-10.jpg
 

SMP Designs

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The shoulder/outer collar was finished and the inner collar with the red detail was created as a separate piece that is worn under the vest. Here is the complete vest and collar.

landt-vest-11.jpg

landt-vest-12.jpg


While the vest was underway, the discs were being fabricated by ezbsvs. I created flat vector templates in the correct scale to fit the vest and he created 3D files from them. Those files were printed in clear resin so that, once painted, lights could be installed in the back and show through specific details.

landt-disc-template.jpg

landt-disc-3d-render.jpg

landt-disc-print-1.jpg

landt-disc-print-2.jpg


After the discs were printed and painted, I created the light effects using LED fairy lights with small battery packs. Each disc had its own light pack and each set of lights was mounted to an EVA foam disc and then glued to the back of the disc.

The discs are secured to the vest with industrial-strength velcro. The vest has slots punched into it for the battery packs to slip through to the inside.

landt-discs-1.jpg

landt-discs-2.jpg

land-t-discs-3.jpg

landt-discs-4.jpg


Next up in the write-up are the pants, cape, and accessories. More coming soon!
 

SMP Designs

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK, rounding out the write-up on this one, I moved on to the accessories next. I created templates for the gauntlets and boots and cleaned them up on paper.

For the gauntlets, I built the front pieces out of layered 2mm EVA foam that I covered in the metallic blue faux leather and used a cording foot to sew down the details. I then finished all the edges, added the painted foam details, and built the backs. The backs of the gauntlets were built from headliner foam covered with black faux leather and blue and red details. They were finished with separating zippers on the backs of the arms.

landt-access-template.jpg

landt-gaunt-1.jpg

landt-gaunt-2.jpg


The boots were next. I based the boots on my fitted boot pattern and modified it for the details needed.

The upper parts of the boots were created as separate pieces using the same techniques of layering foam and faux leather that I’ve used up to this point. They close with separating zippers up the back and have foam details like the vest and gauntlets.

I then created the ‘shoe’ parts of the boots to go over existing mesh running shoes that fit under the tops. Having the upper parts of the boots and the ‘shoes’ separate enables easier dressing and also a better range of movement without the worry of overstressing any part of the boot This is the same approach as the Night Monkey boots.

landt-boots-1.jpg

landt-boots-2.jpg

landt-boots-3.jpg


To finish off the costume, the pants were built with faux leather accents and stretch material in the crotch, inner thighs, and below the knees.
The cape was also built so that it would hold its folds and attach to the vest with Chicago screws for stability - a similar technique as the one I used for Dr Doom.

landt-pants-1.jpg

landt-final-1.jpg


And at last, the final costume in the wild!

View fullsize
love-and-thunder-3-poster.jpg

love-and-thunder-1-poster.jpg
 

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
Top