This is why I prefer physical media.

CB2001

Master Member
Now, I'll admit, I do have a rather big movie collection. The last time I counted (back in 2007), I had a little over 300 DVD titles. It's been a decade since, and I have a bit more in my collection, as well as upgraded certain titles if they provided more than the copy I had, and have also added Blu-Rays into the mix (so I haven't done a recount of what I have when it comes to those titles). I also have VHSes in my collection, as there are some movies that never made it to DVD or Blu-Ray and some of them I have because I grew up with them in my VHS collection), in addition to Laserdiscs (got into that because I found a whole pile of them on the cheap at a thrift store in my home town, and my Dad got me a player to go with it). Anyways, nowadays, we are in an age where a lot of movies are being released in digital, or are provided through a streaming service. I prefer the physical media not just for the aesthetic, but for the fact that when I buy a copy of a film or TV series, I know I own it and it's always there if I ever want to watch it.

The reason why I am bringing this up is because of a topic that has been brought up by a channel I follow called Overlord DVD. The channel's maker has a character he has created called Victor Van Doomcock (I have to sensor the character's last name because I'm not sure if spelling it out would get me in trouble here or not. Better safe than sorry). Anyways, the character does provide a lot of commentary on the various aspects of media, including films and TV shows. And for the topic brought up in this video, is a bit of an eye-opener. This seems really scary, but the fact is that purchasing a movie or TV show in digital format doesn't necessarily mean you own a copy as it does with physical media. And when it comes to preserving films, having physical media is important (as we've learned with the original Star Wars trilogy, where George Lucas has drastically altered it to where it's no longer like the three films that audiences fell in love with when they were first shown, doing away with a lot of the miniature effects and drastically altering scenes. And the only way to watch them now is the Despecialized Versions, which are the closest you can get thanks to Harmy and those who provided resources from physical media to be able to help him recreate the films). Though the character is dressed funny, wears a mask and has his voice altered, he does provide a topic that makes me worry for future generations who wish to watch classic movies as they were originally presented, due to the fact that we are currently in an era where we could be trading physical formats to digital just for convenience (yes, I know this has happened before with vinyl records to cassettes, and cassettes to CDs and CDs to digital, but those previous formats still exist, and record companies haven't done away with Rush and Queen for remakes of their hit works, yet). I'd like to get your opinions on this topic. But, I can say this: what he's presenting is why I prefer physical media over digital. And if Disney starts doing this, then future generations would lose a large chunk of cinema that helped shaped the modern filmmaking age. I know I'm probably worrying over nothing, but this does make me uncomfortable with the thought.

Last edited:
His name is Dicktor Van Doomcock (DVD), and I don't see why it would be any worse than Hitchcock. And the topic of digital media is worrisome. If everything shifts to digital media in the cloud, with no physical copy at all, can you ever really own it? Sure you can buy "lifetime" access to something, but is that your lifetime or the lifetime of the film/music/whatever. The owner of the property can take it down whenever they feel like it, or even alter it.

Disney is currently giving "trigger warnings" for several of their classic shows and movies on Disney+, while leaving the so called "inappropriate" material intact. But what happens if they decide to edit these films, or remove them completely?

The best option is physical of course. But when "buying" digital always take the download option if available. Then you can save it or burn it to disc yourself, and it can't be taken away.

His name is Dicktor Van Doomcock (DVD), and I don't see why it would be any worse than Hitchcock. And the topic of digital media is worrisome. If everything shifts to digital media in the cloud, with no physical copy at all, can you ever really own it? Sure you can buy "lifetime" access to something, but is that your lifetime or the lifetime of the film/music/whatever. The owner of the property can take it down whenever they feel like it, or even alter it.

Disney is currently giving "trigger warnings" for several of their classic shows and movies on Disney+, while leaving the so called "inappropriate" material intact. But what happens if they decide to edit these films, or remove them completely?

The best option is physical of course. But when "buying" digital always take the download option if available. Then you can save it or burn it to disc yourself, and it can't be taken away.

It's nuts, but I agree. But when it comes to the digital and burning it, it makes sense. Right now, I have Season 1 and Season 2 of the TV series Halt and Catch Fire. The show ran for four seasons, but only the first two seasons ever made it to a physical release and AMC and their distributor for the DVD releases have stated they have no plans for Season 3 and Season 4 to be released. So, basically, I've only got half of a series I wanted to own. Currently, I can purchase the remaining seasons on Amazon digitally, but like what you've stated, the owner of the property could very well decide to pull it from being viewed completely (and I don't think Amazon has a direct download option for shows purchased via Prime. Just checked it, definitely not an option). Does anyone know if you download videos when you purchase films/tv shows from iTunes or are they streaming as well?

But I agree, the thought of movies you think you own because you purchased them digitally just disappearing is horrifying. Where does the line between what you own because you paid for it end, and the line of "you're just renting it from us" begin?

The problem is that when you buy a digital copy of something, you are not actually buying a copy of the movie or TV show. You are buying a license to view said media. The content owner can revoke that license whenever they want. This is why Studios love the digital model. They maintain all control over the media.

Physical media for me in both DVD's and music CD's. I do own a lot of MP3 music, and also watch movies online or download them, but when I want something to be mine i buy physical media of that thing. A good friend of mine lost a ton of MP3 music and movies when his PC broke.

# CD collection.jpg 1 DVD collection.JPG

I never buy digital copies of anything without having it on my own physical media. For video, I buy DVD or Bluray, period. I have more than 5000 commercial discs in my collection.

I do that too. I've got Ready Player One, Welcome to Marwen, Halloween (2008) and recently Home Alone that all came with digital copies in addition to the Blu-Ray and DVD releases. Not only that, if I ever really want a digital copy to go on my iPad, I can just rip the DVD myself.

Last edited:
I have a very large collection of physical media (Vinyl, CD's, VHS- even though I no longer own a VCR-, DVD, BlueRay, & now 4k BlueRay). I like ACTUALLY owning what I pay for. But, more importantly, the physical media sounds AND looks better than streaming. Yes, I do stream, it's very convenient, however, the compression & loss of detail is very apparent. When friends come over for movie night, it's always with the hard, physical, copy of the movie.

Same here. For all the reasons already stated: you truly own it and the quality is better. Plus I just love having something I can display in my home that can be looked at. Even if the physical version is more expensive (actually it's usually cheaper), I'll still buy it. The only time I buy digital is if I have no other choice. And while I never plan on selling them, physical media affords me that option as well.

I do that too. I've got Ready Player One, Welcome to Marwen, Halloween (2008) and recently Home Alone that all came with digital copies in addition to the Blu-Ray and DVD releases. Not only that, if I ever really want a digital copy to go on my iPad, I can just rip the DVD myself.

A lot of physical media comes with digital copies these days. I don't think I've ever watched a single one of them.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back