This auction is NOT cool...

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by SD Studios, Nov 13, 2011.

1. SD Studios

SD Studios Well-Known Member

Is this somebody here???

Who is Quantum Replicas???

Star Trek hero Assault Phaser, movie prop, Shatner autograph, Captain Kirk | eBay

That pic of William Shatner signing a plaque was taken by us at MR. It was NOT taken so you could swipe it for your product.

The pic was copyrighted and it makes me suspect the authenticity of your Shatner autograph. Even if the auto is real, I doubt WS would agree to use it for a bootleg certificate that had a pic of him signing a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT licensed plaque for the MR Communicator.

You even copied the MR signature-edition certificate fold-out format. (which, while far less-offensive, was not very creative or original on your part...)

It just doesn't make any sense. Bad move.

For reference, here is the original MR certificate that I helped design. Bryan Ono took the WS picture for MR:

View attachment 74673

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
    ralphee and Thibault like this.
  2. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Extremely bad form in fact I would probably see what excuse the bay has for not doing anything about it.

3. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The usage of 'Quantum' to top it all tells me whoever it is was once 'close' to you Steve. Too many coincidences.

Did you email the seller asking provenance etc ?

Thibault likes this.
  4. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

If nothing else, the seller is using a copyright-infringing photo so you should be able to report them for that.

5. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

That's a nice case.

6. Hellclaw 01

Hellclaw 01 Well-Known Member

A sticker on the bottom of the handle instead of an engraved plaque? It looks bad too, you can see the pixelation on the edges where the red meets the white.

Who is this Robert M. Fox? The top google search yields a bankruptcy attorney in NY. :LOL

No result for "Quantum Replicas" though. You would think if they had the Trek license they would have a website or something. :rolleyes

7. Alan Castillo

The item in question is a total 'fake' from A to Z. Steve, again, I would ask the seller of its origins, and try to track down the original source.

8. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Who ever it is, given the detail, they seemed to know a bit about the collecting world but have quite a few inconsistencies in the description. Like they are playing on those who do not know enough about hero versus stunt pieces. This reeks of a rip off con artist, you could not type up that much information without knowing a bit about it. Mr Fox seems to be a crafty one, 3 bids.

Huge military game and collector from his past auctions.

9. FuseNova

FuseNova Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Surprised to see so many closeups of such low quality work.

10. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It is kinda ****ed up lookin' aint it.

11. Apollo

:lol Ain't that the truth! :lol

12. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix Active Member

What is the mistake like Steve said is stealing an image of Bill signing a MR piece. I think the guy may have bought it and is just selling it off probably and has no idea that the image is in question . Or he could just be using the picture to hype the piece and the bogus autograph.

I don't think Ebay will pull the auction. Unless your willing to fax them documents that prove you are the copyright owner and by that time he will have sold the item. Your best bet Steve is to email the dude direct on Ebay tell him who you are and why your concerned about the auction. If he is cool then he will comply .

I have had someone recently copy my exact description word for word and STEAL my exact images to sell something. Now talk about being in your face plain as day and Ebay did jack after calling them and reporting the item. If he is a real scammer he will sell more then one. But Ebay will do what they want and nobody can change that.

Your first copyright offense is a warning no matter what it is thats a fact . Second offense you will get a suspension from 3-7 days next they will suspend you for life. I just went threw this with a piece of garbage its frustrating .

13. MustangGTR1

MustangGTR1 Well-Known Member

Looks like a CoolModels copy of the phaser

14. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Third switch, nearest the handgrip, see the little dots on it? What letter in braille might that be..."J" maybe?

Honestly this looks a hell of a lot like a copy of one I did as a commision piece for someone a while ago (5 years maybe?). It was suposed to be used for a "Fan Film" and returned or paid for, I never saw a dime, never saw a film.
    I wish I still had some pictures so I could be 100% on this but I've since had a computer die on me and it took all my old pics with it...and I've made others of these since and they kind of blur togeather.
    One thing I AM sure of: I put a "J" somewhere on every piece I make.

Contacting seller.

15. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix Active Member

So he used your prop with his pictures what a piece of work.

Thats your best bet make contact and see what his response is that will tell the whole story .

16. phez

phez Sr Member

What is the deal with the edition number?? Did this guy just make up a number an put it on the COA to make it look collectable :lol:lol:lol.

17. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Oh no, he put some actual work into this ripoff.

He needed one of these:
    [​IMG]
    for $6.00

Had to download this:
    [​IMG]
    for free.

AND...he needed a pen.

Honestly I think the hardest part would be not laughing his *** off while he signed it as "Vice President".

18. exoray

exoray Master Member

With a little Googling you will see this is not the first time it's popped up for sale, can't say if it had all the 'supporting' paperwork before but it's been floated around...

19. SD Studios

I sent this:

Hello. This is Steve D. I was one of the founders of Master Replicas and the VP of product design. I would like to ask why you are using the picture WE took of Shatner signing our signature edition communicator plaques on YOUR certificate?

Are you aware that these kinds of pictures are copyrighted? You can't just "swipe" it for your use. Since you "lifted" a pic of Shatner signing a completely different (licensed) plaque, it makes the Shatner signature on your cert "questionable" at best...eBay looks very badly on these kinds of copyright violations.

Waiting for a reply...

20. Apollo

Have you talked with E-Bay yet?

21. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

Agreed completely on all points.

A point of fact though, I took the photo, as well as did the signing with him that day.

22. SD Studios

Details, details... :lol

23. C0mmand3rC0dy

C0mmand3rC0dy Sr Member

I'll be damned if I let someone win that auction, time to place a bid methinks :love

What that individual did is completely crooked, and in the words of Bill and Ted, "Most Unrighteous".

24. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

A legal question - what happens if a company that owns the copyright of a certain pic or item drives financially against the wall and has to be closed? So that the legal body who owned them is completly exterminated .....

For sure not every "i was involved"-guy can claim to own the copyright then, no matter how they might feel it´s their baby.

But who can?

Steve, didn´t you sell these harddrives full of pics some time ago? Who was the legal owner of each of that pics you´ve sold? Did you really asked each of them, and what´s your proof that you can sell them all?

Legal stuff can be pretty funny, right? :lol

25. Alan Castillo

Please don't lets have another one of 'those' threads :cry

26. ericwong

ericwong Active Member

IMO, the point here is not about the copyright BUT the fact that the seller stole a picture from somewhere, and claim it as its own and then selling it.. this is fraud

27. nstevic01

nstevic01 Well-Known Member

Auction just shot up over $1000....

28. ericwong

ericwong Active Member

private listing..... maybe just a fake account jaking up prices!

29. C0mmand3rC0dy

C0mmand3rC0dy Sr Member

Someone outbid my $1000 :lol

30. ericwong

ericwong Active Member

OMG, that was funny!

31. nstevic01

That was your $1000? I was wondering why it went from a hundred something strait to $1000.

I really, really wanted it so I had to go to $4500.

32. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix Active Member

But you still need someone to bid to 1000 to get there you can't just jump a bid unless there is one there to raise it over. Unless he is selling the prop as an original and its a replica there is not much anyone can do fake auto or not . How many people sell authentic autographs on Ebay ? Answer not nearly as many that sell fakes and nothing ever is done. . No agency will even lift a finger for something like this no matter how much noise you make its just the times we live in.

Look at the movie prop or wardrobe section on Ebay its like a who can make up the biggest
    lie competition .

33. nstevic01

Looks like he just deleted our bids

34. ericwong

ericwong Active Member

lol, at least he is realistic about this prop after all

35. nstevic01

Looking at the bid history, when I place mine of $4500, it showed the actual bid of $123.50, then the $1000, then the $1050 bid (which was part of my $4500 bid)

36. nstevic01

He just deleted all of the bids, all of them. I guess they were all bogus...

37. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix Active Member

He most likely knows somethings up after the SD email And will block your bids

As crazy as it sounds be careful if Ebay finds any connection to bids
    being raised they can ban your account on the spot.

The slime who stole my pictures and description is still active selling
    on Ebay after 3 phone calls and demanding to speak to a manager .

I also reported the item 5 times . :cry

38. Pookie

Pookie New Member

Could he be a member here and following this thread? Maybe he knew they were bogus bids just by reading it here.

Jedifyfe likes this.
  39. phez

phez Sr Member

Hey quit messing with my Phaser auction :lol:lol:lol:lol. I was there the same day MR was getting the autographs and slipped Shatener a twenty to sign an extra one. I saw where the MR guy was standing and decided to take my photo from the same spot. I came up with the trifold idea before the MR came out so really they stole my stuff

What are you thinking here Steve, why are you ripping off my ideas???? LOL

40. rollerboi

rollerboi Sr Member

Don't have to be a member to read this section, just FYI. anyone can find this with a google search.

41. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

Not much to tell. We (officialpix) did all the MR autograph signings personally. On the signings we did, I took all the photos except for the first Hamill, who needed to shave his beard before the photo, but needed it to finish Comic Book the Movie so his wife did it later.

Exceptions:

We arranged Phil Tippett but proximity to MR made it convenient for Bryan to do it. And he's a bit of a fanboy about things like this (sorry Bryan).

Ford was arranged by somebody else. (Which ultimately is the reason Ford is INCREDIBLY HESITANT to do signings now). It was a bad experience for him.

Might have been some of the Enterprise signings we didn't do. Can't recall doing them.