Things you've always wondered about in sci-fi movies

I wouldn't call that a coincidence exactly. There are a lot of planets out there we just see the tiny fraction that are very similar to Earth because those are the ones that support life that is similar to us.

I don't think that covers it. People in spaceships find habitable planets way too often by sheer chance. There will be multiple planets/moons near each other. Etc.

Space fiction is a modernization of older fiction where people were sailing the earth's oceans and stumbling onto strange lands & cultures. But when the ancient Greeks got lost in the Mediterranean, all the strange uncharted islands/shores had livable gravity and climate.

Out in space we're talking about a couple percent of all planets being habitable, maybe less. The most optimistic predictions are something like 3-4%. That isn't the number of planets that do look like earth, it's just the ones where the size & location doesn't rule it out.

And so many planets coincidentally have earth-like gravity, atmosphere, temps, etc. They also have one climate per planet.
INDEED! And all are named after the main species living on that planet: Cardassia - Cardassians, Cylon - Cylons, Neimoidia - Neimoidians. There are exceptions like Tattooine, Coruscant, Carillon and Earth in general. So if this would be the case in the real world, we humans would live on a planet called "Human". Sounds very weird. Buck Rogers (1979) chose "Terra" - "Terrans" which is acceptable but calling us "Earthlings" is very outdated.

That is not a can of worms, that is a dream come true. :p
I would be more concerned by THIS:

:D
e57.jpg

Why did Picard need heart surgery after he was stabbed? Why would anyone in the Trek universe? Can't you just throw them in a transporter and have their body molecularly reassembled?

tODM4MDUxMjVlOTE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQ3MjU3NTU@._V1_.jpg

How did Jeff Goldblum's Apple laptop miraculously connect with the alien ship in ID4? I have enough trouble connecting to my Earth-made router.

How come in Star Trek, whenever they beam someone out of a shuttlecraft, from a sitting position, they are recomposited in a standing position. Is this some fancy AI in the transport system Recognising they are sitting. Just once I’d like to see someone materialise in a seated position and gracefully fall to the side!
Or for that matter, what happens to any air or gasses where you beam into? How is there no vacuum when you beam out?
Just once I want to see someone beam into a forest and have their sleeve merge into a leaf from a branch fluttering in a breeze your transporter didn't account for?

207C0CBA-F1E9-4DCA-B466-AAF99AC58D47.jpeg

I have recently wondered what would have happened to the Classic Star Trek film series, and I guess to the franchise in general, if Harve Bennett had allowed Nicholas Meyer to stick to his original vision and had Spock remain dead, dead, dead, after Star Trek II vs. the, let’s admit it, gutless “reset” that occurred in Star Trek III that gave us a regenerated Spock and three more films with Spock as “mystical Vulcan shaman”…

Would they have brought a new Vulcan on board the ship in the next movie? Would they have tried to make Saavik that Vulcan? What would Trek III have been if they weren’t searching for Spock?

Other races are also probably out there exploring or sending out signals to be noticed. That should cut down the time on who finds who.

Whoa! Spock staying dead...are you out of your v#lc$n mind?!?

Planets that were colonized probably had more leeway with names.

I always wonder how aliens know we call Earth, " Earth."

I remember John Byrnes reboot of Superman he had like a force field around him, so it even protected his clothes. Bugs be hitting an invisible wall.

I always thought thinking is the best way to travel.

And so many planets coincidentally have earth-like gravity, atmosphere, temps, etc. They also have one climate per planet.

I wouldn't call that a coincidence exactly. There are a lot of planets out there we just see the tiny fraction that are very similar to Earth because those are the ones that support life that is similar to us.
To use Star Trek's own language, those are "Class M" or "M-Class" planets--similar to Earth and capable of supporting human life. Besides, why would reasonable human beings visit a planet that would kill them?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back