Things about the recent Predator comics/movies/news

josephchoi

I just feel like doing a bit of a nerd rant about the way Predator mythos and concepts are taking shape these days... Does anyone else feel like a lot of the filmmakers/artists/writers are making Predator movies without really taking the time to understand what the characters are about? For example, in Predator and Predator he really moved with a sense of purpose. It wasn't just a way of moving- Kevin really moved the character like he knew what he was doing. In AVP, it just felt like the predators didn't know what they were doing. I really just see it as: "holy ****- there are aliens. what do we do?" "I dunno... STRIKE A POSE" in AVPR, that kinda stuff was toned down substantially and Ian Whyte really did a great job portraying the Predator, but the whole brain fart element still kinda remained imo in editing, and the way he was portrayed. in the final Predator vs. Predalien fight, the Predator has several moments where he attacks, then just kinda pauses like he just kinda blanked out or something- leaving the Predalien wide open to attack. I dunno, from what I've seen of the other Predator movies, a decent predator just shouldn't have that kind of doozies.

Design-wise, does anyone feel like they are relying too much on ADI's contributions to the character, and not enough on Stan Winston's creation? Like the wristblades. for me, ADI's are too fancy and too forgettable. Too bad they seemed to be here to stay. Stan Winston Studios' designs were at once gave the sense of practicality and alien-ness that worked, imo.

Alright nerd rant off. :)

I feel exactlly the same way. I still say they need to friggin well get their A$$es and look at the lair instead of the crap ADI produces. Ive seen more talent on here then ANY movie makers for AVP, AVPR could ever dream of imagining. Honestly, my inspiration comes from Stan and you guys on the lair alone, the rest can all go to hell :)

When you watch 'Predator', you actually had to remind yourself you weren't looking at an actual creature. You had to keep reminding yourself that there was an actor in there.

Now when the new Preds appear, your mind just screams " MAN IN A RUBBER SUIT " .

What's more, the facial expressions of the first predator seem far far more lifelike and natural than the later Preds that came 20 years later. Look at the facial expression when he realises Arnie is trying to trick him with sharpened stakes in the overhead log. It's amazing.

20 years later, the preds look far less 'lifelike' and far more animatronic. Stan Winston was able to achieve in 1987 what they can't seem to do now.

This...
PredEldermask-1.jpg

just doesn't compare WHATSOEVER with...

this:

PredEldermask-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When you watch 'Predator', you actually had to remind yourself you weren't looking at an actual creature. You had to keep reminding yourself that there was an actor in there.

Now when the new Preds appear, your mind just screams " MAN IN A RUBBER SUIT " .

Thats exactly how I feel...Its been a little while since I have rewatched P1 and P2 and I can remember alot more from those movies then I can from AVP and AVP2. Either I wasn't paying attention to most of AVP2 or my mind saw it as a tramatic event and blocked it out.

This...
PredEldermask-1.jpg

just doesn't compare WHATSOEVER with...

this:

Stan Winston took pride in his work and loved what he did these ass holes make the sculpts just to get their money they have no genuine love! But damn man that has to be the worse comparison ever like comparing dung to a diamond lol!

PredEldermask-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
to be fair, ADI wasn't given the necessary time to great the creatures. I heard they were given roughly the same time to make AVP FX as SWS was given for Predator 2.... so 2 creatures worth of FX for the time for 1 creature.

I think ADI honestly got the shaft in this one.

I feel exactlly the same way. I still say they need to friggin well get their A$$es and look at the lair instead of the crap ADI produces. Ive seen more talent on here then ANY movie makers for AVP, AVPR could ever dream of imagining. Honestly, my inspiration comes from Stan and you guys on the lair alone, the rest can all go to hell :mad:

Amen to that! Maybe they do - perhaps they spy on us? Secretly. I sure hope so.
For AVPR - ADI do have 1 original artist that worked on P1 which is Steve Wang - I know he painted the P1 suit at least.

On another note:
I've sent my stuff to ADI before and Tom Woodruff replied me back " Please feel free to send us more stuff to look at." :)

Amen to that! Maybe they do - perhaps they spy on us? Secretly. I sure hope so.
For AVPR - ADI do have 1 original artist that worked on P1 which is Steve Wang - I know he painted the P1 suit at least.

On another note:
I've sent my stuff to ADI before and Tom Woodruff replied me back " Please feel free to send us more stuff to look at." :)

Well thats kind of cool. They do seem to have their hearts in the right place and by all accounts the 'troll' preds from AVP weren't really their idea.
Wolf is up there with the better designs but i agree the character was kind of screwed by the end of it.

I think ADI do a top-notch job. Why the Preds look different ("not as good", if that's your opinion) could be down to anything from a deliberate request to make them slightly tweaked (the way P2 loked very unlike P1), to just the sculptors putting their own stamp on things. I have nothing against the AVP Preds, some bits (massive wrist blades) came out a bit daft, but on the whole i think they were very worthy. i did NOT like the hybrid (can't even bring myself to us its other name!) - looked like phone cables on its head rather than dreads etc - there's pics of kits w/out the dreads and IMO it looks far better w/out them. Still and all, writing them off as ******** is abit out of order i think.

Warped, that P2 pic is gooooorgeous!

to be fair, ADI wasn't given the necessary time to great the creatures. I heard they were given roughly the same time to make AVP FX as SWS was given for Predator 2.... so 2 creatures worth of FX for the time for 1 creature.

I think ADI honestly got the shaft in this one.
ADI got the gig twice though, and while they estimated a workload of 9 months, they've gotten two. Main problem I have is they didn't pay much attention to the classics.
And let's be honest: SW got 6 weeks and he managed to pull it off brilliantly.

...so they can steal your ideas lol! I swear they used parts of Rob's drawings in the Wolf Bio, but what can you do?

As far as directors, writers, etc changing the PRedator? I'm all for it, as long as it isn't a RADICAL change. Keep certain aspects and insert new elements. In the movie biz, there has to be new stuff to keep everyone happy - the existing fans, AND it has to draw in new crowds. I have my fingers crossed for the Predators movie...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back