TheCap's Captain America Shield(s)

Re: TheCap's Captain America Shield rep.

Cap I love the work, its truly great and your doing it for love, Chris I was a huge fan till reading this thread. Yes you did a lot of work no one is arguing that, but you are making a huge deal of nothing. TheCap is not trying to steal your work or put you down, your coming off as a greedy fat cat. I know your not but your painting your self in that light, you have to remember your very backed up and can't make shields for everyone who wants one. I wanted your shield you told me maybe later I went with captainrossi's shield, others went their own way.

What I am trying to say is no one is trying to take anything away from you they're just a lot of people who want shields. I also have to say TheCap is trying to help people save money, not take money from you. I know it still hurts but in TheCaps mind the shop knows how to cut and etch and will charge less. But in yours they only know that because of you, and your both right.

I guess the bottom line is Chris your making money and if your deal with master replicas works out, your make a $h!tload. So why not chill out relax and enjoy your great work, TheCap why not just tell Chris he gave you the star idea. I mean I agree he did not invent it but he did help everyone implement it much faster.

I have been off this site for awhile due to the "trolling" i couldn't stand on my own thread. I am in no way trying to intervene but give my opinion. 1. The idea from my own shields comes strongly from Chris, I am a Quality/Industrial Engineer and I can back his statements as far as man hours into the project. I went to a unknown metal spinner and basically had to go through all the things he did. Which was tons of work,phone calls,emails, dimensions and trial and errors.I don't think the people of this website realize what goes into these and they are the first to nit pick and criticize and put down peoples work. If it was so simple everyone would be making these,right? TheCap you were one of the only ones who defended my shields in my thread, For that i applaud you and both of you have been very helpful.Cap i Love your shield, Might be prettier then mine, and the fact you help people on here whether defensive or hooking them up with the spinner, or any other of the good deeds you've done you seem to be a genuine good person. Maybe agree to disagree? LoL. Remember why we all did this and that's the love of the sport,the characters,the comics and showing our artistic side or mechanical background i feel like the initial agenda has been aborted. It's to spread these creations to everyone so the people who can't do what we do can share our vision. I had 2 guys on my thread bash my dimensions and cost me alot of sales,on my own thread. When people read up the threads they read everything,rightfully so but negative feedback hurts the bottom line one every ones thread. To those 2 idiots and anyone else who would do such a thing on anyones thread i could say a lot but i only say this. I guess you can't have a hero without a villain. Instead of comparisons and competitions i feel the shields should all be celebrated together, what we've done is amazing, the ammount of dedication and ambition it takes to go after this project is something to be proud of because i know i am. Both of you guys are awesome. Keep up the great work on both ends.

your both brilliant and both came up with an obvious idea to get around the cost of cost of milling it from scratch, just like ive seen others come up with as well

noobs......:rolleyes

The star argument is my favorite part of this thread. In the SCA we've been etching patterns into aluminum shields and adding metal shapes on top for at least 10 years (the amount of time I've been in), if not longer. We don't argue about who did it first though, mostly because the vikings beat all of us to this "idea" by about 2,000 years :lol

Wow, that's crazy. Did you ask them to replace it for you? I would definitely be asking for that at the very least.

Wow, that sucks. It's not like aluminum as difficult to polish with a decent wheel. Unless there's a gouge I can't see, those surface scratches should come right out.

Wow, that sucks. It's not like aluminum as difficult to polish with a decent wheel. Unless there's a gouge I can't see, those surface scratches should come right out.

the problem here is the machine lines from the spinning are all gone. So, for him to refinish the surface, he'll have to spin it again, not sure if he has the tools to do that.

place was just called Machine & Weld, yeah think im going to see what i can do with it, it's not like i can make it worse heh

If you have a drill press or grinder... or some other motor that turns, you can make up a fixture to spin the star, and sand and polish it while it's spinning. You could probably try it by hand, but I would think matching the curves to look machine made would be difficult. You could do a test with a green scrubby and see how it works.

the problem here is the machine lines from the spinning are all gone. So, for him to refinish the surface, he'll have to spin it again, not sure if he has the tools to do that.

Was the star actually spun in the movie, or did it just have a grain? A wire wheel would clean it up + give it a grain nicely as long as you didn't over-polish it.

Was the star actually spun in the movie, or did it just have a grain? A wire wheel would clean it up + give it a grain nicely as long as you didn't over-polish it.

Yeah, it's a spinning to get the correct shape. The surface finish is a nice side effect to the spinning process :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back