The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

In preparation for the casting I've put together a bench top roto-caster.

IMG_1743.jpg IMG_1744.jpg IMG_1749.jpg IMG_1748.jpg

Last edited:
Yes! I designed and built it. Still needs a motor. It's for casting the L'Eggs engine noses. It looks like I'll be needing more than 30 pair. That's too many to sit there and hand rotate!

Looks really cool. hope you'll do a video of it in action. ;)

Yes! I designed and built it. Still needs a motor. It's for casting the L'Eggs engine noses. It looks like I'll be needing more than 30 pair. That's too many to sit there and hand rotate!

Hey guys, FYI shapeways are trialling PLA for makers which brings the V1 nacell cores down to $58 each if anyone is having problems with a printing solution.

PS Dave you are a god !!

Jamie, Thanks for pointing out the PLA. 'Bout time Shapeways offered FDM printed parts. and the version 2 nacelle cores are only $28.54 each!

PLA should work fine for the nacelle cores. Depending of the layer height they use PLA might be a little corse for the fuselage shells. But I would definitly NOT use PLA for the mounting block, it's too brittle. Spring for the WSF or print them on your own machine with ABS

Looks great!!

Tons of motors over at Apex Electronics in the San Fernando Valley...one of my favorite surplus stores.

Regards,

Andre

Adding the styrene plating to the L'Eggs engine nose cone. First step was to make a silicone mold of a L'Eggs egg. This is a mold of a full L"Egg, not the turned down nose cone. That way if I ever need another egg, I don't have to go back to EBay!

IMG_1779.jpg

I poured a section in resin to use a a vacuum forming buck.

IMG_1766.jpg

.015" styrene was vacuum formed over the buck, then cut the plating pieces out of the formed plastic.

IMG_1765.jpg IMG_1768.jpg

The plating aplied to the egg. Ready for molding.
IMG_1771.jpg

Last edited:
I have some L'EGGS for sale under limited run I bought a bunch and took what I needed so if any one needs some contact me i am also going to use the other half of the egg for the cylon tanker

thanks I just may buy a set of your castings if I fail at doing a good enough job of mine

Last edited:
Hey, my apologies! I was making what was supposed to be a humorous comment. By all means if someone wants to go it from scratch they should. I've taken the comment down.

i removed my comment too i would not want anyone upset this is a great site and we all get on well here . i think lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back