First project of 2016:

Getting started...

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The Wizard of Oz - Wicked witch of the west hat replica

Some progress more

The measurements are as accurate as I'm able to -
cone headpiece height: 14"; (aprox 35,5 cms)/ brim widths (from crown):5 1/2" front, ( aprox 12,5 cms), 8" back, (aprox 20 cms), 5" left, (aprox 12 cms) and 5 1/2" right (aprox 12,5 cms).
According to Adrian's creation I'll give it a more menacing look when finished in order to create a shadow over the face (like they did when Margaret Hamilton was wearing it)

pic6.jpg pic7.jpg pic8.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

pic8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Good job! I've made one of those and only found one problem. There isn't a shelf in my house big enough to hold it! It lives on the bed in my guest room, with the door firmly closed to keep the cats away from it. The silk chiffon scarf is just too tempting to kitty paws.

Good job! I've made one of those and only found one problem. There isn't a shelf in my house big enough to hold it! It lives on the bed in my guest room, with the door firmly closed to keep the cats away from it. The silk chiffon scarf is just too tempting to kitty paws.

Thanks. Haven't figured out yet where to display mine. And yes it would be bad to have the silk chiffon ruined... :D

Hat is almost done:
Left the wire showing on purpose once I wanted to give it a bit of a screen used look (more or less like one of the hats that was sold on auction)

pic9.jpg pic10.jpg pic11.jpg

I went with the more "perfect" version as I made an entire WWotW costume with hat and broom.

Looks like you handed Margie a cup of Maxwell house as she handed you the hat! ;) :thumbsup

Thank you fellow members. Glad you appreciated it.
It really was a fun project - I decided to make this replica because the original hat is an iconic prop and a true piece of movie memorabilia
Shoes and hat are done. Now I need to go for the broom :D

Ugh. This hat is so well done it gives me the willies.

The Wicked Witch of the West is one of THE scariest film characters to me. Looking at the pics of her now, my stomach turns.

I'm not 45 years old or anything.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back