The Way To Eden - Guitar

Macklin

I've seen information from time to time on the Vulcan Lyre, but never anything regarding the guitar used by Charles Napier in the TOS episode 'The Way To Eden.'

It's an interesting design and would make a great conversation piece.

I checked Google and found nothing. I don't even know what to call the thing. It anyone has any information, screencaps, whatever, please post here.

Yes, this is a serious thread. :lol

Patrick

<div class='quotetop'>(Macklin @ Jun 4 2006, 05:06 PM) [snapback]1256006[/snapback]</div>
I've seen information from time to time on the Vulcan Lyre, but never anything regarding the guitar used by Charles Napier in the TOS episode 'The Way To Eden.'

It's an interesting design and would make a great conversation piece.

I checked Google and found nothing. I don't even know what to call the thing. It anyone has any information, screencaps, whatever, please post here.

Yes, this is a serious thread. :lol

Patrick
[/b]

I build and repair basses & guitars for a living...... And I've blueprinted most of the Vulcan Harp from screen-caps, just waiting for me to build a real working harp that is also screen accurate.

But I don't remember that guitar your talking about and I don't have that episode on DVD.

Can anyone here post a screen-cap?

Thanks.... Nick :D

Quick trivia tip. That is Walter Koenigs wife Judith behind Adams right shoulder.

Now back to to our regular scheduled discussion.. :D

Yep, that's the one.

I made some crappy DVD screencaps. I tried to get as many angles as possible.

back.jpg

bridge.jpg

buttons.jpg

buttons2.jpg

guitar_length.jpg

height.jpg

joint.jpg

side_handle.jpg

top_strings.jpg

wings.jpg

Notice the brass screw hook on the back, presumably for wall hanging. Or maybe they intended to put on a strap.

EDIT:

Corrected aspect ratio of screen captures.

Patrick

Hey out there...

(Hey out there...)

I reach, brother. :D

Say BTW I don't know why exactly, but some of you guys produce screencaps that are squashed vertically... aspect ratio is way off. Note how tubby everybody looks in those caps above. :rolleyes

Here's one of mine for comparison.

WTE-spacehippies.jpg

Eat all the fruit and, throw away the ri-ind...

Yay-ee, bro-ther.

Yay-ee.

:D

Oh and let's not forget the girl with the bicycle wheel, shown here jamming with Spock.

WTE-spockperform.jpg

Let's get together and have some fun...

I don't know how to do it, but it's got to be done. :lol

- k

Good point about the squashed screencaps.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Aside from using PowerDVD? :lol

<div class='quotetop'>(Macklin @ Jun 4 2006, 05:46 PM) [snapback]1256169[/snapback]</div>
Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Aside from using PowerDVD? :lol
[/b]

Took the words out of my mouth. :lol

Well I would look at the capture settings... is there an "aspect ratio" control somwhere...

The last resort would be to open the caps in Photoshop or Paint or whatever graphics program you have, and resize them vertically to the correct 4:3 proportions.

- k

BTW for all the crap Shatner takes about his hairpiece... I don't think I've ever seen Nimoy's looking quite as bad as it does here. :lol

WTE-spockperform.jpg

- k

Hey. Don't be baggin' on the bicycle wheel 'bro.

If you look closely you can see it was strung with red and blue tennis racket gut. :lol

<div class='quotetop'>(SurferGeek @ Jun 4 2006, 06:09 PM) [snapback]1256181[/snapback]</div>
If you look closely you can see it was strung with red and blue tennis racket gut. :lol
[/b]

Oh, I had thought the red was the dried blood of those she had killed with it. :rolleyes

Ok, I changed the aspect ratio of my screencaps above. Hope that works better.

It looks like the buttons are some kind of inlaid plastic discs. I think it would be a nice touch to go with mother-of-pearl.

Looks like the center knob may have been an automotive cigarette lighter.

Closeup of the end of the neck looks like a 2x4 cut into shape.

Not sure what the strings are. I know they're not tight. They wobble when the actor touches them. I can't make out how they're attached to the 'wings.' Maybe tiny holes drilled into the metal, then knotted through?

As I noted earlier, there's a brass hook screwed into the back.

I still don't know what to call it. Maybe the shooting script will offer something.

Is anyone interested in making one of these? Looks like a fairly easy project.

OH..... MY...... God. :eek

That thing is Hidious.......

I wouldn't call it a guitar but a harp strung on a sword or a crossbow.

I wouldn't build that Monstrosity even if someone pay me good money. :lol

Nick

Another interesting side note:

The girl playing the bicycle wheel is now an artist working out of Indianapolis. Does very nice work out of, of all places, a cart in a mall.

I've known her for going on...heck, 9 years, I think.

And yes, she still kinda digs being known as "the girl playing the bicycle wheel". ;) At least, she did last time I talked to her.

T

<div class='quotetop'>(alteregos @ Jun 7 2006, 02:41 AM) [snapback]1257618[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>
I wouldn't build that Monstrosity even if someone pay me good money.[/b]

HERBERT... You are STIFF... :p
[/b][/quote]

Ha, ha.

Yea, brother.
Is that an egg on Napier's shoulder?

<div class='quotetop'>(alteregos @ Jun 7 2006, 02:41 AM) [snapback]1257618[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>
I wouldn't build that Monstrosity even if someone pay me good money.[/b]

HERBERT... You are STIFF... :p
[/b][/quote]

:lol I was waiting for someone to use that one. :lol

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back