The Wand Company twelfh doctors sonic screwdriver

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Darran, May 13, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Darran

Darran Active Member

The wand company are releasing an extending twelfth doctor's sonic later this year. From their facebook page:

"After receiving emails pretty much every day since the launch of our Eleventh Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver asking for an extending version, we're thrilled to announce that we will be launching an extending Twelfth Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver universal remote control. As you'd expect, it's a highly detailed and completely re-engineered working replica of the Matt Smith / Peter Capaldi Sonic Screwdriver and we're very excited to reveal that it will be seen for the first time at San Diego Comic-Con on 8th July 2015, exclusively on the BBC America Stand."

Looks good, what do you think?

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. Doctor49152

Doctor49152 Member

must get!!!! strange that they changed the button. Makes some sense... but is strange.

3. Bluebox303

Bluebox303 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It seems like they are using their old tooling for the die cast parts. Darn. I really wanted a sonic screwdriver with at least an accurate shape instead of the 1200 for the rubbertoe. If they changed the button and made the center band taper more it would be reasonably ok for me. I like that they added the lines in front of the rivets near the center, though.

It also seems like it will have the TV-B-Gone feature

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  4. GreenCircleCube

GreenCircleCube Active Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Waited for this thing for too long!

I love this because I want a sonic screwdriver that is a replica and can be Functional. AMAZING!

5. B-Movie Zombie

B-Movie Zombie Sr Member

I can't wait.

6. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like I'm going to have to sell off one of the two old models I have so I can grab one of these!

With just a little bit of work, these should be DEAD ON!

-Nick

7. CaptChunkyChew

CaptChunkyChew Active Member

Ditto. Gonna have to do some machinin'... but what to do with my kursoswawa conversion, suppose it'll be worth more when they stop making non-extendable ones

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  8. GreenCircleCube

GreenCircleCube Active Member

nice profile pic, I miss Craig doing TLLS

9. B-Movie Zombie

B-Movie Zombie Sr Member

10. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

12th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver remote by TWC - extending version on the way

Looks like the release date is September 7.

http://www.bbcshop.com/page/12thdocscrewdriver

dw12th_doc_screwdriver_hero1_im.jpg
    dw12th_doc_screwdriver_hero4_im.jpg

I like the new stand... Now it can be displayed more easily alongside the 10th Doctor sonic remote.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  11. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda New Member

Only a few things bug me.

- The copper is way, way, way too shiny and the silver is way too dull.
    - The stalk that the emitter is mounted on is supposed to be conical, but instead they made it cylindrical.
    - The buttcap's dimensions are a bit off...
    - And, may we never forget, the collar connecting the black piece to the sliding assembly is way too wide. I have no idea why they sacrificed that to make a battery compartment instead of just making the end cap unscrew like a flashlight.

I plan on modifying it to see how many of those I can fix, but all-in-all it looks awesome. I can't wait to get my hands on one~

12. Sendra

Sendra New Member

Please remember it's a remote and not a prop replica! There has to be room for the electronics. That being said it's an awesome looking sonic at an awesome price range! keep up the great work you're doing Wand Company!

Don't waste time, or time will waste you!

13. B-Movie Zombie

B-Movie Zombie Sr Member

With SSDC going on has anyone heard of a price range yet?

14. Bluebox303

I bought two. The price is 120$. Will post pictures and review later. On Sunday I will talk to Chris and Richard to get more information on the development and the design process of both the new communicator and the screwdriver.

B-Movie Zombie likes this.
  15. Bluebox303

Seems like there are already some popping up on evilbay.

16. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A friend got one at the con, the sliding/flick mechanism works flawlessly.

17. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda New Member

18. Mclabop

Mclabop Active Member

I just picked up the limited edition one at SDCC. It is truly epic. Richard, (forget his last name, but one of the designers) handed it to me and it just felt right. Didn't feel like a toy. And the flick to open action is perfect. I think he said 5-7 newtons of force to open it. I haven't tried it with the TV yet, but the sounds it emits for each motion are good and loud. Paid more than the final will be worth, sure, but I just couldn't wait. I always have ONE impulse buy at the con. This was a good one.

19. CaptChunkyChew

whats different on the limited edition one? is it just that it was available earlier?

20. Bluebox303

The Limited edition version was laser numbered, and was released early with a COA. Otherwise, that is about it.

21. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda New Member

Mclabop, think you could make a video of some kind with it? All that's been released so far are pictures and descriptions, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see a video~

22. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda New Member

23. Mclabop

Mclabop Active Member

Sorry, didn't mean to blow you off. I didn't subscribe so didn't see your reply. Glad you found a video.

Dash Lambda likes this.
  24. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda New Member

25. Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda New Member

Ooh, I'd love to see that.

I mean, it's not like it can ever compete with a Rubbertoe in terms of accuracy, but I'd like to see where it succeeds and where it fails.

26. fishboy220

fishboy220 New Member

I would much rather see a flatter tip on the emitter. Does anyone think its possible to heat the plastic just enough to flatten it a bit?

27. parfaitelumiere

parfaitelumiere Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You can (try to I tried but never get it) order a marble emitter from kursosawa.
    You can also easily flatten by hand the actual emitter, it's just a piece of colored plastic...

Shame it's still not accurate regarding all the front, especially the conical ring.
    However the polling front is interesting, I think it may be compatible with my actual eleventh screwdriver, highly modified from a universal remote.

28. fishboy220

fishboy220 New Member

I was able to flatten the tip by holding a soldering iron close to the tip long enough to flatten it.

20150927_232532.jpg Before and after 20150927_234715.jpg

29. excelsiorsteff

excelsiorsteff New Member

Hello
    I'm new here at the rpf and have a question. Does anyone know a good way to remove the clearcoat on the cooper parts of the
    screwdriver without dissasembling it? It is the only thing i really don't like about the screwdriver cause the cooper is way to shiny and
    I like when it gets a little patina over time.

30. CaptChunkyChew

Check Kursosawa's remote conversion threads, he says how he does it there! I don't know which one, though, so search "Sonic remote conversion" and look through them, it'll be there somewhere!

31. RobI

RobI Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nuts. Now I have to get another sonic??? I bought Kursosawa's V1 conversion, then had it upgraded to V2. Also bought a Rubbertoe but am still on the payment plan for it. If/when WC comes out with a River sonic I'm going to be *...I mean thrilled. :lol

32. VashDstampede

VashDstampede Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I picked up one of these as soon as it came out on Thinkgeek and I love it! It's a great addition to my ever growing sonic screwdriver collection.
    [​IMG]
    The emitter is actually flatter than the old version, but could use a bit more. The only other thing I can nitpick is the section where the claws lock on to is plastic, but I'm sure that's because of the wear it will have to endure with the constant flicking. The copper ring around the marbled interior section is plastic as well, which could have been plated like the rest. Other than that, it's a very affordable and beautiful looking replica. Bring on River's sonic!!! :D

For those wanting to tone down the shine, why not just mask everything off and spray a matte clear on top. You can add some washes and then spray again with matte, or a satin clear coat.

33. RobI

RobI Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's a very nice shelf you have. :cool