The Walking Dead Season 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by MooCriket, Aug 1, 2017.

1. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

2. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

After last Season,they better, OR ELSE! :lol

MooCriket likes this.
  3. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, they lost me last year. Just a snooze-fest. Hell, I don't even remember exactly how it ended.

They're just trying too hard to punctuate the point that Negan is a bad-*. We get it, we get it, already! Plus, the garbage people were so utterly ridiculous, I almost abandoned hope.

-Rylo

MooCriket likes this.
  4. maffhewdc

maffhewdc Sr Member

They lost me at the end of season 5. I only watched a couple of episodes from season 6. I watched only the first two episodes from season 7 because of Negan. Then they completely lost me. It got boring. Season 8 might be a pass for me.

5. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I haven't been really excited for this after they said the trash people will be a major player. They are the lamest thing this show has created yet. They should die in episode 1 as revenge and then we never see them again.

6. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i dont know how much more i can take. i dont want to sound like a hater, but hasn't it felt like every season has been the same, just a different gang of bad guys?

VilleLeskinen and MooCriket like this.
  7. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

If this season does not pick up, I'm done. I'd almost rather have a jump in time and have them kill almost everyone off and have an older, grizzled Coral having flash backs to the past with Daddy Rick and wrapping up with the eventual demise of the zombies and remnant of what was civilization rebuilding.

Apollo likes this.
  8. Apollo

Yeah I am pretty much done with the Show, I was hanging on with my fingertips with Season 5 and Season 6 did me in, I'm out! :unsure

9. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Then why do you guys keep posting? Seriously how about you all bow out of the discussion and leave the thread for those of us who still watch and enjoy it, without having to dig through numerous "I hate it, have hated it since...blah blah blah." posts.

ZotoSpidey likes this.
  10. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Welcome to the Internet and life in general. It's what people do. We bitch and complain, and sometimes enjoy things...for a while anyway.

ZotoSpidey and Soulinertia like this.
  11. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I gave up with the first fake Glen death. But to be fair, I've also given up on the comics even after the Negan arc is resolved. I read Compendium 3 and it just...I dunno. The thrill is gone. I think a big part of the issue is that the comics moved at a fairly steady pace early on, taking the survivors from one setting to the next, having them try to survive in each, only to ultimately have it fall apart. That was cool for a bit, but then it got old and they needed human opponents. Fine, no problem. The comic introduced them, and with the Governor, you had the first credible human threat. Then the prison fell, and they headed to Alexandria, which was interesting. But honestly, with the introduction of Negan, it just kinda...I dunno...started getting stale. I think the comic had to up the ante with Negan and he's just such an over-the-top character that it's hard to get into it. With his eventual defeat, you introduce.....YET ANOTHER group of humans and oh who gives a crap anymore.

With the show, I think the biggest flaw was that they took the more dynamic parts of the comic and then draaaaaaaaaaaaaaagged them out, and threw in a TON of boring filler and human antagonists. The end result is that every group of human antagonists is treated like OMGTHEBIGGESTTHREATEVAR!!!! and they just end up not being that way. But simultaneously, they neuter the threat of the dead. The whole thing's just been mismanaged.

Realistically, though, I think what we're dealing with is a concept that was fresh and interesting at one point, but which has been treading water and riding the same premise for coming up on 8 years now. It's bound to get stale no matter who they introduce, because the foundation was never really in the characters or the plot, but rather in the setting.

12. maffhewdc

maffhewdc Sr Member

Well... i mean... that's what discussions are.....

Apollo and MooCriket like this.
  13. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Solo 4114's Post is a discussion. My complaint is the same crowd every TWD or FTWD thread feels it necessary to chime in that they hate the show. Got it about 4 seasons ago, you don't like it or watch it. There are threads here about shows I don't care for or watch, but I don't feel the need to go stomping into the discussion, I don't even bother to read the threads. But that's me i guess. Carry on.

JediHomer likes this.
  14. harrisonp

harrisonp Well-Known Member

I feel like a lot of the negative opinions in threads like these are coming from people who once cared a lot about a property and have been subsequently let down by it. In a way they are still carrying a torch for the topic, but they've been "hurt" (dramatic as that may sound) and have feelings they want to discuss. Seems like a similar situation in the Alien:Covenant thread. For TWD a TON of people were on board with it in spite of some not great story lines, but TV continued to evolve and the show wore out its welcome for a lot of viewers by stumbling over some plots and needlessly stretching/padding others. I will go back and watch the whole series someday (haven't watched since S7 premiere) but I still appreciate how much I loved the show when it was at its best. I hope they decide to end things within this season or next, and really bring it back to center before giving it a nice send off. I was disappointed initially when I heard that the final seasons of GoT would only be 13 episodes combined, but now I'm actually glad they made the decision to wrap things up for better or worse, and I would like to feel the same out TWD's final season.

halliwax, MooCriket and Apollo like this.
  15. Apollo

qft I love complaining, hell I complain about having to complain!

MooCriket likes this.
  16. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Bingo. As rushed as the current season of GOT seems, it only seems that way because it's taken so long to get here and all the pieces have been put in place for ages. Now they're paying things off finally, and it's (so far) pretty satisfying.

I really enjoyed TWD's first season. I liked the 2nd half of their 2nd season, too. The first half was pretty weak and dragged, though (the search for Sophia). The pattern basically held like that. The start of the new season would be slow until a big moment would happen mid-season, and then things would usually go better for the rest of the season. Or they'd flip it and the first half would be interesting and eventful, and the second half would drag. And on and on it went. Over and over until it just got...stale.

But yeah, I used to really love it. That's why I still care at all, to be honest. It'd be nice for them to wrap it all up well, but I just don't have a ton of faith in them to do so. The comics on which they're based haven't handled things much better, really, at least not over the long haul.

17. Rylo

In point of fact. This thread wasn't started with any specific tone such as "Post if you can't wait for season 8" or "I love The Walking Dead and here comes season 8!"

Hell, the first post even ends with..."So they say" which is sardonic at best and rather invites everything from speculation and criticism to enthusiasm.

That said, I don't like to see hate pile-ons on otherwise celebratory threads, e.g., "McRib is back!"

Not the case here. As others have noted. There are those who are simply disenchanted with the course of the show. They've earned the right after having invested their time to passive aggressively vent on-line as much as the next miserable bastard.

-Rylo

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    joshvanrad, maffhewdc and MooCriket like this.
  18. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

Im still dumbfounded people would even look at a McRib as food.

MooCriket likes this.
  19. MattBlack

MattBlack Active Member

I gave up with the comics after the 'All Out War' arc. It was just endlessly dragged out. Then the time jump happened, which was a great opportunity to mix things up and make it fresh, but it was still dull as.

It's really obvious that Robert Kirkman loves Negan and wants him to be the main character. But as Negan is a) an awful human being and b) Glenn's killer, it just can't stick. In the comics Negan is so OTT now, it's like a parody.

20. Rylo

See, case in point! lol :lol

I confess, I love them but look for zero nutritional content in them. I know what I'm gettin'!

MooCriket likes this.
  21. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This whole site is populated with people who can't NOT obsess over things. It took me a while to realize that that's why people who say they don't even like something anymore can't stop talking about it. Now I usually am able to just scroll past those posts and barely take note of them.

22. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Yeah, Negan was kind of interesting at first, but he's become boring. Great. He curses, and he's not just Chaotic Stupid in his alignment. So what? That doesn't make him particularly interesting. He should be dead by now, or he should've had his character really change. Or there should be a point to keeping him around, other than giving Kirkman the opportunity to have a guy who swears every 3rd word.

I think the real problem with both the comics and the show is that the characters have always been kind of one note, and don't really seem to grow. They just kind of...are. Stuff happens to them, and life goes on. They don't really change a ton, so much as their surroundings and circumstances change. The plotlines tend to be self-contained, too, so there isn't a lot of opportunity for that to be dynamic over the long haul. So, really, all you're left with is the world itself changing around the characters, and them occasionally getting killed off in gruesome or abrupt fashion.

This translated into the show, too, and I think it really hurt the show. The actors are all terrific, but the writing has been uneven and hasn't given them a chance to really demonstrate character growth.

Look, I love me some zombie apocalypse tales. I don't need it to be highbrow, either. A little social satire, some blood 'n' guts, and I'm good to go. But TWD positioned itself to be something different, something better, and something that treated its setting as merely the backdrop for a more serious take on "How would regular people really respond?" That started off as really, really interesting. And then they got caught up with gimmick moves, dragging out storylines, and apparently not letting the characters progress that much. They accumulate experiences, but I don't get the sense that they've changed a ton.

MooCriket likes this.
  23. Apollo

Excellent points Dan as I posted on another "Dead" thread, I wonder how this Series would have turned out if Darabont was still at the helm.

As it is this was the smoothest bait and switch i have seen in awhile.......

MooCriket likes this.
  24. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

Love the Chaotic Stupid alignment! Great RPG reference.

Stopped reading the comics at the same point I stopped watching the show, Glen's death. His fake death really didn't help. I though it cheapened his character and lessened the impact of his expected death.

25. maffhewdc

maffhewdc Sr Member

I agree. I'd prefer if Glenn got killed first before Abraham. Glenn gets killed on screen at the end of S6, probably ends with a shot of Negan's face smiling and spewed with blood. Then S7 starts directly after that and Abraham would be the one to try to beat up Negan for making fun of Maggie crying, and Negan just brutally beats him to show how serious he is. They can still do with the Daryl thing if Negan states that Daryl keeps looking at him funny.

26. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again--The Walking Dead is much better as a binge watch. That way the filler doesn't seem so....filling.

MooCriket and Apollo like this.
  27. bwayne64

bwayne64 Well-Known Member

One thing is true, imho, no matter how bad TWD gets, it will never be as bad as FTWD. But never say never, again ;-)

28. Apollo

yeah thats what I have done, imo thats the ONLY way to watch it

MooCriket likes this.
  29. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

30. Apollo

Too funny!

Everybodys getting screwed by the People, AMC, who put up the money, well no chit thats show biz :rolleyes

Kudos to AMC for giving Gale Ann the shaft shes one smart and tough cookie

I was wondering when Raleigh would be sold!

Good for them!!

MooCriket likes this.
  31. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

32. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Attached Files:

33. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

What if he just woke up in the hospital and none of this really happened? I mean Shane was probably banging your wife still, but no walkers!

Apollo likes this.
  34. halliwax

Then I would feel like I was watching LOST all over again. Lol

35. Apollo

Solo4114 and MooCriket like this.
  36. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

37. harrisonp

As long as they also focus on Negan being in the ground by the end of the season it'll be an improvement

38. halliwax

Heeeeeeeeh... i don't know if they can do that ;)

MooCriket likes this.
  39. harrisonp

I just watched season 7 for the first time and honestly liked everything but Negan's scenes. Even the idea of the Saviors is fine, and their interactions with the other communities, but I genuinely can't stand Negan as a character. Not even in a "love to hate him" way.

40. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

I have to disagree, but admit I am a bit biased as I love the comic book character. I love the fact that he is based on Henry Rollins, and love the fact that the actor was/is a fan of the show. In some ways, I see similarities to another role Morgan played (The Comedian-The Watchmen), which is another favorite of mine.

What's not to love about a used car salesman/former gym teacher/coach?! I hope somewhere down the line that little bit of his back story comes out.

harrisonp likes this.
  41. harrisonp

for me it all comes down to the writing of the character and JDM's delivery. I think he's a good actor, I was excited when he was cast, but I feel like they completely missed the mark with what his character is supposed to be. His cool guy beatnik persona just doesn't work for me, and the "banter, banter, lean back on elongated syllable" diction is so grating.

42. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

To be honest, I find him annoying in the comics, too. Although I may just be annoyed with the comics overall.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

harrisonp likes this.
  43. MrSouthpaw

MrSouthpaw Sr Member

They spent too much screen time trying to establish that Negan was a no-nonsense bad ***. When that was established handily with Glenn's death. But they just kept hammering it home so much they not only got the nail nailed, now they're just making marks on the wood.

I've said this in another topic. But I think they missed a great opportunity to have Negan take Carl under his wing long-term. Have Rick worry about Carl's loyalty, etc. That would have spiced up the season quite nicely.

44. ysosrs

ysosrs New Member

I actually haven't read past a few comics after All Out War, but how many more seasons can they draw out on the TV show? Would they really have several more seasons of Rick in old man makeup? I think they need to wrap up the show at some point. We don't want it to go all Season 6 LOST on us.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely! They wrapped up that story arc way too quickly...

45. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

I am kind of looking forward to the time jump. Haggered Rick, piecing everything back together. I also think you will see some Coral/Negan development, would be my guess.

46. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

When Negan comes on screen, out comes my phone, and I mess around with that until his scene is over.

joshvanrad likes this.
  47. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

Ok, so I haven't watched any TWD since like an episode or 2 after they off'd Glenn... because I just lost interest.

HOWEVER, I just had a thought when I was scrolling through unread threads and saw this one... I honestly think TWD will kill the zombie horror genre for a long time. It's one of those things where they did something REALLY cool and original for TV. They hooked people in a new way with something that felt really authentic.Anything zombie related that comes out following TWD will always have people saying "Well, TWD already did that." Also, they've gotten to a point now where they've butchered the genre so badly and strung it out for so long I think people will just be burnt out on zombies for a long time. I know I could go without the zombie genre for a while.

On sort of a side note, TWD is one of those stories that really frustrates me because it opens with a BANG but tapers off into a plateau of mediocrity. TWD could have been PERFECT if it had a distinct beginning, middle, and end. Instead, they're stringing it out forever and it has just become "the middle" since they Governor.

TWD is one of the most unfortunate series ever for me because of the potential it had. I followed the comic and the show, so I saw where the show would be going and sort of figured I'd be losing interest. Where the show suffers even more than the comic is that the show has absolutely NO INTENSITY left. There are not stakes in the show. In the comic there was still an element that anybody could die at anytime and horrible things could happen to anybody without warning.

Oh well, at least I still have GoT.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Solo4114 and VilleLeskinen like this.
  48. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I absolutely agree. It's certainly done that for me. The notion of surviving in the midst of a zombie apocalypse has now been done...er...to death. But seriously, it's like we've played out pretty much all of the interesting scenarios, and it's no longer interesting. The madness and confusion of the initial breakdown of society, the gradual decline into lawlessness, the rise of various settlements with differing ideologies run by different types of leaders, those settlements coming into conflict with each other and ultimately one winning out over the other and usually absorbing or wiping out the loser, etc. Meanwhile, the zombies keep on shufflin'. About the only thing left to address is (1) finding the cause/source of the zombie plague, and (2) finding a cure for it.

But yeah, otherwise the standard Zombie Apocalypse thing is...meh...it's been done.

The one show that I think really handles it in an interesting fashion is iZombie, which I love. But it takes a completely different spin on the entire genre.

I also very much agree with you about TWD having too big of a "middle." the show is especially bad about this, because it basically spent about 4-5 seasons with the survivors getting to a location, putting down roots, having it all go to hell, and then walking around again looking for a new location. The truth is, though, that the comics aren't much better. Things happen in a tighter timeframe (e.g., they don't spend half a season walking to the next location), but the comics still suffer from this issue. The big change occurs after the conflict with Negan, but even that change felt...meh. And a new threat was introduced that just struck me as utterly stupid and uninteresting. But really, that's just it -- the story had reached its end point as far as rebuilding civilization goes. Zombies were a threat, but a manageable one. Other human contingents might be a problem, but with a sufficiently organized and well-armed militia/military they could handle it. The problem with the comics is the feeling that everything needs to continue, which means there must continue to be external threats and conflicts. After a while, it all starts to feel the same.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  49. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

I'd be really interested in seeing what Frank Darabont would have done if he could have continued. I think the show would have gone off in different directions and been less formulaic.

joshvanrad likes this.
  50. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

People hammered on the farm episodes. I am in the minority I guess because I loved the farm. The climax of that season was amazing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk