The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

I played just past the first zone in OG Borderlands before I gave up on it. If you're on PC there are ways around the leveling stuff...

I did see there's an exploit for one of the challenges, but I'd long since passed it so that was a no go. I usually don't cheat, but when developers do dumb stuff like that, I have no problem. I was hoping there was a level or XP cheat, but no such luck. So I guess I'll just slog through and try to level.

I did see there's an exploit for one of the challenges, but I'd long since passed it so that was a no go. I usually don't cheat, but when developers do dumb stuff like that, I have no problem. I was hoping there was a level or XP cheat, but no such luck. So I guess I'll just slog through and try to level.
Cheat engine can be your friend. I'm sure there is a trainer for borderlands that will let you bump things up to your pace

Is Elden Ring worth my time and money?

What are the odds that a reviews search would reveal two cloned reviews?

How to set off a lie detector 101

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220807-152828_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220807-152828_Samsung Internet.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 50
I'll just grind. Every time I've ever tried to download Cheat Engine my PC antivirus software lights up like the nuclear codes are being stolen.
As a general matter, these days I simply will not bother ****ing around with games that want to punish me or waste my time. And yes, grinding is usually (not always) a waste of time.

Sometimes, the leveling process is about teaching you how to manage your abilities as they're introduced. I'm ok with that. But what is NOT cool is where you just have to grind the game to get anywhere or really any kind of gaming where repeating tedious tasks is the method of progressing.

When faced with games like that, I cheat, mod, or otherwise alter the gameplay experience to be what I want it to be so I can enjoy the game. If that means it's not the developer's chosen experience, guess what: I don't care. It's my time and my money and if I choose to spend them playing this game at all (instead of refunding it), then I will do it the way I damn well please.

I recently refunded Gloomhaven when I figured out that the design philosophy behind the game was another one of these "WRONG. Do it again" style games. I get that folks find that stuff fun. I do not. I find it tedious and irritating and a poor substitute for actual content. It's why I don't bother with Soulsborne games.

The worst part is I usually do every quest or sidequest so I should be good to go. A lot of people skip sidequests, so that's sort of punishing people for playing the game.

Is this borderlands 1 or 2?

I did drop borderlands 2 but will probably try to pick it up again (I cant stand the sway tbh. Get a little sick with the swaying).

I did notice with borderlands 2 that my
Guns dont match my level alot of the time with my guns being several levels weaker than me (even though the effects and damage are better).

I played Borderlands 1. Tried to get into Borderlands 2, but it just felt the same as the first game, and I was never super into that one.

I think a big part is that I play solo and the general style of game (looter shooter) just doesn't grab me. If I had a regular group that I played with, then maybe, but, like, I never got super into Destiny 2 either, mostly because these games just feel kind of hollow and lacking in story. (Which fits, given their looter-shooter design.)

I'm playing the first one, solo, now. I got all of them free through Epic at one point. It's fun, but it's obviously meant to be a multiplayer game that you can play solo. The only other complaint than above, is enemies generally spawn at the same spots or points that you can tell they will spawn. So I don't know if that improves in the later games. Oh and a lot of backtracking, which I HATE in games. I totally skipped the Mad Moxxi DLC because it was a tedious bunch of waves or enemies. My nephew played it with his friend and said they loved it, so some things might be more fun or easier with friends.

My sister and her husband played all of the Borderlands co-op, right up to Borderlands 3, which they hated. I played through the first one, didn't find it especially entertaining and never do any more.

Yeah it does seem like Borderlands would be more fun and easier playing with at least one other person.

In coop, you can revive each other, deal more damage, and finish missions quicker as your teammates also tackle objectives. SP is harder and more tedious in that regard.

Square-Enix just ruining me. The Diofield Chronicles and Valkrie Elysium both coming out September 29th and Tactics Ogre Reborn November 11th all on top of the already released Triangle Strategy. They're going crazy releasing the tactics strategy RPG's AND I LOVE IT. I'm glad the genre is on an upswing. It was pretty much dormant at one point and I just had to go back to playing Final Fantasy Tactics again. Only reason I am not going to start another playthrough of that is because of the rumor of Square-Enix being poised to announce a Remaster of it at some point. It's already in development according to the same leak that revealed Tactics Ogre Reborn.

Also in fighting game news, SNK says Samurai Shodown will be getting rollback netcode in the spring. This will definitely bring me back to slicing up fools.

Is Elden Ring worth my time and money?

What are the odds that a reviews search would reveal two cloned reviews?

How to set off a lie detector 101
Fwiw (not much), Elden Ring is the only soulsborne game I've ever played beyond the opening area.

I put over 100 hours into it and got to the 3rd new game plus before I finally called it.

Fwiw (not much), Elden Ring is the only soulsborne game I've ever played beyond the opening area.

I put over 100 hours into it and got to the 3rd new game plus before I finally called it.
Do you think we should wait a year just in case Elden Ring releases DLC and a new "complete" edition?

FromSoftware has released DLC for most of its recent games. The Darks Souls trilogy and Bloodborne all got paid DLC. Sekiro didnt get paid DLC but did get free DLC I believe and a rereleased GotY edition. Given how well Elden Ring sold and reviewed, I would not be surprised if they are working on DLC right now.

Do you think we should wait a year just in case Elden Ring releases DLC and a new "complete" edition?

FromSoftware has released DLC for most of its recent games. The Darks Souls trilogy and Bloodborne all got paid DLC. Sekiro didnt get paid DLC but did get free DLC I believe and a rereleased GotY edition. Given how well Elden Ring sold and reviewed, I would not be surprised if they are working on DLC right now.
They almost certainly are working on DLC. There's more than enough game to justify the full price, but if you're not in a hurry then waiting for a GOTY edition or whatever should be fine too.

I loathed Dark Souls. I would rather do pushups than play that game.

The thing I hate about it is the "WRONG. Do it again!" aspect of the game, and how cheap it could be with "SURPRISE!!! You're dead. Now do it again" gameplay. I didn't like that back when it was the predominant style of the NES period, and I'm damn sure not bothering with similar gameplay now.

If Elden Ring is like that, then I'm glad I've stayed away. If it's basically not like that, then I might check it out at some point.

That said, I just got the recently-released Spider-Man game on Steam and am LOVING it after having played it for about an hour last night. Fantastic, atmospheric gameplay.

The thing I hate about it is the "WRONG. Do it again!" aspect of the game, and how cheap it could be with "SURPRISE!!! You're dead. Now do it again" gameplay. I didn't like that back when it was the predominant style of the NES period, and I'm damn sure not bothering with similar gameplay now.

If Elden Ring is like that, then I'm glad I've stayed away. If it's basically not like that, then I might check it out at some point.

That said, I just got the recently-released Spider-Man game on Steam and am LOVING it after having played it for about an hour last night. Fantastic, atmospheric gameplay.
I don't play games to get frustrated. I play them to have fun. Things like Dark Souls which are frustrating for the sake of being frustrating, that's not a challenge, that's banging your head against the wall. Hard pass.

I don't play games to get frustrated. I play them to have fun. Things like Dark Souls which are frustrating for the sake of being frustrating, that's not a challenge, that's banging your head against the wall. Hard pass.
Bingo. You and I may disagree on plenty, but on this we absolutely are in 100% alignment.

Also, frustration and repetition is not "content."

That Spider-Man game is top notch, and the Miles centered sequel is even better.

Elden Ring definitely has some of that steep learning curve, but its also more forgiving insomuch as you can just turn around and go do anything else if you're stuck on a boss or dungeon. I find that often if I'm beating my head against something I will almost always nail it within one or two tries if I go do something else for a couple hours before going at it again.

Yeah I skip games like that with a passion. I hate games that are so hard that you have to fail 20 times until you realize how the developer wants you to play. I want something like Deus Ex where I have options.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back