The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

last time i saw physical stock in my area was october 26th. today my local store got 20, and a store roughly 20 miles away also got 20, but they sell out instantly..

seems like they always have them saturday mornings if they do get them..
That's due to the slime that's out there.

Was talking to a guy working at best buy back in November. I was driving by one and had been looking for a video card and thought it can't hurt to look. When I asked if there were any they guy just sorta laughed and said 'nope'. He said there are still people lining up hours before the store opens and some who camp out all night and if anything shows up in the video card or PS5 stock, buy them all.

I really really hate scalpers. I wish they'd outlaw it somehow.

The odds 20 people went through that store who wanted one for themselves - in 15 minutes - is slim and none.

The manager of GameStop is a relative of him, he told me the store doesn’t even know they when they are getting shipments because the staff is either buying them or calling their friends to get in line and buy them..

It’s kind of pointless now because when the FedEx truck is waiting at the door at 10am to open.. they know they are getting a batch of ps5’s…

I waited in line a Best Buy thanksgiving night.. got in line at 8:00pm.. I was 11th in line, freezing cold.. first time I ever did Black Friday.. trying to get one for my girlfriend for xmas

They were going to open at 1am.. 12:20 the staff shows up and while unlocking the doors yells we aren’t opening until 5am.. thinking they were joking the group laughed (still only 11 of us in line at this time) they then repeated “no seriously, new massachusetts state law.. we can’t open until 5..”

I’ve never done this before.. the rumors were 20 of them are inside.. I figured I’d wait.. I’m in my cycling winter tights, sweat pants, hoodie, and my heavy work jumpsuit.. I work outside for a living I was fine.. people were shivering and shaking..

3:30 it starts to rain.. I’m not making this up.. but now people are getting in line.. the 2 kids Behind me.. I say kids they were I college.. I asked them if they had one already and they said that they both had one and they were re selling if they got theirs tonight..

We continued to talk and come to find out between the two of them they have gotten 9 extra and selling them between 900-1200 bucks “depending on how desperate they are”.. I thought it was awful

I had a young kid in front of me hoping to get one, a husband and wife in front of him trying to get one for their son, and a guy in front the them, again wanting one for his kid..

Manager came out at 4:45am and yelled “no consoles!!!” Started passing out maps of the store.. doors opened at 5am they let the first 10 in, I snuck in with the kid in front of me.. sure enough no consoles.. I left the store soaking wet, freezing and was on the highway at 5:02am for work.. not kidding I think I spent 20 seconds in the store

6DC5A038-845B-4685-8ED9-88D65EAA9758.jpeg

I have been told by the kid that works the gym desk, they have now passed a new scalping law.. something to do with using bots.. how they can prove this I have no idea.. but supposedly there is a new law about it

I ended up having my brother find one of Facebook for me, I paid 200 over sticker.. and that was because it was a client of my brother otherwise he wanted 1000…

It’s ridiculous

All of this stuff, consoles or video cards, could easily be figured out to make sure they sold to the gamers. The problem is all the companies, despite how much they say they are for gamers first, couldn't care less because they are moving products. nVidia is one of the worst because they know people can't find video cards, aren't doing anything to control who buys, and then announces new cards that crypto miners will eat up. All of these companies could at least try to put a system in place to limit how many consoles/cards a person buys. Yeah some people will get friends to pitch in. but it would be something. I know the chip shortage is part of it, but c'mon! I'm guessing I'll still be using my now 8 year old PC for another year or two.

All of this stuff, consoles or video cards, could easily be figured out to make sure they sold to the gamers. The problem is all the companies, despite how much they say they are for gamers first, couldn't care less because they are moving products. nVidia is one of the worst because they know people can't find video cards, aren't doing anything to control who buys, and then announces new cards that crypto miners will eat up. All of these companies could at least try to put a system in place to limit how many consoles/cards a person buys. Yeah some people will get friends to pitch in. but it would be something. I know the chip shortage is part of it, but c'mon! I'm guessing I'll still be using my now 8 year old PC for another year or two.
Im not a computer guy, but how does the video card mine bit coin? I would figure it would be the Computers processor

I’ve heard about the video card shortage because my friend is a big gamer but he doesn’t t know anything about bit coin, or why they use a video card for it

Except that NVidia isn't a retailer and, as far as I know, don't make and sell the cards themselves. Sure, they come up with the hardware specs and the software but their cards are made and sold by a myriad of companies. Even if they make the base chipset, there's no way they can control who ends buying the card using their chips. That's not even up to the individual manufacturers either, that's up to the retailers and most have no reason to care that much who buys products from them. To them, a Bitcoin miner is the same as a gamer's money as far as they're concerned and there's no way for them to keep track of what they're buying a product for. How does one tell the difference between someone buying a video card for their gaming rig and someone buying to mine Bitcoins?

Most thing I know of bitcoin, is its like a virtual money that like the stoke market, its value can go up or down. Thats about I know know, if thats even all correct, not sure. Sounds like to much of a gamble.

Also, now that Im thinking of it, does anyone know how, with a PS4, having only one controller, if its possible to switch it to thr second player controller?
PS3 had a way to do it, but I can't find a way on PS4, and google apparently doesn't understand my question.

Most thing I know of bitcoin, is its like a virtual money that like the stoke market, its value can go up or down. Thats about I know know, if thats even all correct, not sure. Sounds like to much of a gamble.

Also, now that Im thinking of it, does anyone know how, with a PS4, having only one controller, if its possible to switch it to thr second player controller?
PS3 had a way to do it, but I can't find a way on PS4, and google apparently doesn't understand my question.
When my first controller is dying I grab the second one and press the center logo button, it brings up the profile window on screen and I log in on the second control and that one now controls my screen

I know nothing about video games and has my ps4 for Netflix’s and Disney plus, I don’t even have a video game for it

This PS5 shortage thing is still going on? What's it been, 2 years now? *****, that's absurd. Apparently all driven by some semi-conductor shortage due to COVID-19.

Whatever. I'd consider getting one, but not for the prices people charge these days. I only use my Xbox One for streaming anymore, and playing Disney Infinity with my kid. Outside of that, it sits idle and I do all my gaming on my PC which blows a PS5 out of the water any day. Only thing it doesn't do is play PS5-exclusive titles.

I’ve been trying to get a ps5 for over a year.. and I have family that is a manager of GameStop. What’s that tell you lol

.. wait no no, I actually get along with this family member LOL

Im not a computer guy, but how does the video card mine bit coin? I would figure it would be the Computers processor

I’ve heard about the video card shortage because my friend is a big gamer but he doesn’t t know anything about bit coin, or why they use a video card for it

Hell.. I have watched a ton of videos online and still don’t understand bit coin..

Exactly. I really don't know. Somehow they run something that "mines" them and creates fake money that you can turn into real money. I guess? I just know that for some reason GPUs are more effective for mining than CPUs. I don't know why though.

Except that NVidia isn't a retailer and, as far as I know, don't make and sell the cards themselves. Sure, they come up with the hardware specs and the software but their cards are made and sold by a myriad of companies. Even if they make the base chipset, there's no way they can control who ends buying the card using their chips. That's not even up to the individual manufacturers either, that's up to the retailers and most have no reason to care that much who buys products from them. To them, a Bitcoin miner is the same as a gamer's money as far as they're concerned and there's no way for them to keep track of what they're buying a product for. How does one tell the difference between someone buying a video card for their gaming rig and someone buying to mine Bitcoins?

You're right. I should have said companies like eVGA, ASUS, etc. Pretty much all of them claim they are for gamers first, yet they don't do anything to even try to get cards to gamers instead of miners. I'm pretty sure they can tell gamers from miners when people are buying pallets of RTX 3080 cards instead of one. ;) I just think they don't care as long as they are making money. I don't have any problem with that, but don't say you're for gamers first.

Exactly. I really don't know. Somehow they run something that "mines" them and creates fake money that you can turn into real money. I guess? I just know that for some reason GPUs are more effective for mining than CPUs. I don't know why though.

You're right. I should have said companies like eVGA, ASUS, etc. Pretty much all of them claim they are for gamers first, yet they don't do anything to even try to get cards to gamers instead of miners. I'm pretty sure they can tell gamers from miners when people are buying pallets of RTX 3080 cards instead of one. ;) I just think they don't care as long as they are making money. I don't have any problem with that, but don't say you're for gamers first.
Thanks, this has always confused me, glad im not alone

Several points.

First, you can still get demos of games through the PS/Xbox store. You just go to the demo section, find the game to demo, download for free and try it out. Much easier than before were demos werent really a thing on console except for those discs that came with magazines.

Second, yeah, graphics cards and PS5s are being bought up by scalpers. Covid restrictions help slow down the supply chain and the high demand for chips while scalpers know that people want these items so buy them up. They can apparently make a tidy profit so pool together resources to buy them up, then sell well above market price. Really ridiculous that this hasnt been addressed already but the only option is to not buy from scalpers. Dont encourage them and they just have some old electronics on hand.

Going to add that there really arnt that many must have games for PS5 yet and many such games are also available on PC. Im not a fan of steam but you can still play the games without a PS5.

Several points.

First, you can still get demos of games through the PS/Xbox store. You just go to the demo section, find the game to demo, download for free and try it out. Much easier than before were demos werent really a thing on console except for those discs that came with magazines.

Second, yeah, graphics cards and PS5s are being bought up by scalpers. Covid restrictions help slow down the supply chain and the high demand for chips while scalpers know that people want these items so buy them up. They can apparently make a tidy profit so pool together resources to buy them up, then sell well above market price. Really ridiculous that this hasnt been addressed already but the only option is to not buy from scalpers. Dont encourage them and they just have some old electronics on hand.

Going to add that there really arnt that many must have games for PS5 yet and many such games are also available on PC. Im not a fan of steam but you can still play the games without a PS5.
My
GameStop friends are telling me this is just the beginning and predictions say we won’t be over this chip storage until 2024..

I am not a gamer, I don’t own a single game for my ps4 besides night trap that my cousin downloaded for me when we had a reunion

Game use to scare the hell out of us when we were kids lol

But my girlfriend is a huge gamer and she’s looking forward to the Star Wars MMO I think that’s what it’s called.. and the Lego game, which I just learned this weekend is now scheduled for Dec 2022..

I just wanted to find a ps5 before these games came out

I remember when wii came out it was the same thing.. I had every single game at launch, I had 4 controls 4 nunchucks, a zapper.. I had everything except the damn wii!!

I think it was 3 or 4 weeks after Xmas I was in Walmart and randomly found one inside the case.. wasn’t even looking that day..

My
GameStop friends are telling me this is just the beginning and predictions say we won’t be over this chip storage until 2024..

Maybe. Cant say for sure when this will end since we also dont know when the pandemic will end. Im sure businesses are working on their supply chains to fix demand though. I still recommend waiting to get at market price over going to a scalper because should anything go wrong with the console, you get a warranty if you buy from a retail store.

I am not a gamer, I don’t own a single game for my ps4 besides night trap that my cousin downloaded for me when we had a rBut my girlfriend is a huge gamer and she’s looking forward to the Star Wars MMO I think that’s what it’s called.. and the Lego game, which I just learned this weekend is now scheduled for Dec 2022..

Do you mean the Star Wars KOTOR remake? Not sure what lego game since there seem to be a ton coming out in 2022.

Good news about the Lego games are that they seem to be releases for the PS4 as well. All the Star Wars Lego games and Indiana Jones will be on PS4 (which is also playable on the PS5). Not sure what the differences between the versions will be (probably just better graphics) if any.

About KOTOR (which is unfortunately PS5 exclusive), you may want to talk with your girlfriend about it. If she is a fan of the original, the remake likely wont be very faithful to it given that it is more "action-based" for the modern gamer like Nioh or God of War 4 although the story will remain the same. If she doesnt like action games that much, she may not enjoy it.

Maybe subtly bring it up or ask about how a ton of games are being more "actionized" these days lol (FFVII vs its actionalized remake for example).

If you want to be safe, maybe the lego game is the safer choice of the two.

Maybe. Cant say for sure when this will end since we also dont know when the pandemic will end. Im sure businesses are working on their supply chains to fix demand though. I still recommend waiting to get at market price over going to a scalper because should anything go wrong with the console, you get a warranty if you buy from a retail store.

Do you mean the Star Wars KOTOR remake? Not sure what lego game since there seem to be a ton coming out in 2022.

Good news about the Lego games are that they seem to be releases for the PS4 as well. All the Star Wars Lego games and Indiana Jones will be on PS4 (which is also playable on the PS5). Not sure what the differences between the versions will be (probably just better graphics) if any.

About KOTOR (which is unfortunately PS5 exclusive), you may want to talk with your girlfriend about it. If she is a fan of the original, the remake likely wont be very faithful to it given that it is more "action-based" for the modern gamer like Nioh or God of War 4 although the story will remain the same. If she doesnt like action games that much, she may not enjoy it.

Maybe subtly bring it up or ask about how a ton of games are being more "actionized" these days lol (FFVII vs its actionalized remake for example).

If you want to be safe, maybe the lego game is the safer choice of the two.
I sure will, I’m going to send her this link you gave me. Really appreciate it

If they change KOTOR that much, there will be a riot. That company won't make any more SW games after that. Why they went for a remake over a remaster, is beyond me. It's like letting someone remake the original Star Wars.
i never played the original one, but my girlfriend loves it. i think she downloaded it on his computer and wants to start playing it now.. but rumors are there is a new update coming from it?

again i dont really know if KOTOR is the same game she's talking about... i sure do think it is though

she wants to stream her journey on twitch

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back