The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

I finally just downloaded and played SW Battlefront 2 a couple of weeks ago.

I'm coming from having played a ton of Pandemic's BF 1 and 2 and being burned in 2015 by DICE's Battlefront. I was burned and insulted so hard by that piece of garbage I had absolutely zero interest in DICE's Battlefront 2 when it was released and ignored everything about it. Then I started to hear some good stuff about it so I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago.

I really like it. They fixed just about everything I hated about the last game. This feels more like the original Pandemic games. They fixed the combat roll mechanic. Maps are really intricate huge. Some interesting game modes. Sure, they added upgrades, but these don't dominate and unbalance the game as much as the last one did. Most of all, no pay to play lootcrates. I do miss being the guy with the rocket launcher but, you can't have everything. (I know you can get a similar launcher as an upgrade but it's significantly tuned down from the Pandemic version).

I'm probably not downloading Squadrons because I can't figure out how to fly with a mouse and keyboard.

Nothing wrong with that. Unless it's forced just for the sake of it.

I mean really, both Star Wars and Star Trek are filled with not just humans of different shades of orange. But also actual aliens, of all sizes colors and whatever.

I would imagine both franchises are like a nightmare for actual racist people. Unless there really are people out there rooting for the Empire. "Yeah, go space nazis, kill 'em teddy bear-Ewoks!". (I don't have a problem with Ewoks, and yes I am a millennial lol).

Just, make a fun and entertaining game that can please both casual "I only have 25 mins to play", as well as the folk who have the time to really get immersed and work as a team to *what ever end goal*. Different game modes for different people.

Hell, why not just have all the stupid unlocks unlocked for part of the game? And don't award selfish game play.

We really don't need 8954 different shades of Call of Duty. That's what we had Doom and Quake for.

Not everything has to be political. (including fictional Prequel-politics). How many eight year olds care about trade disputes? :lol:

To be real for a moment, I hate nazis, but I can still enjoy playing on the side of the Empire in a Star Wars game. I don't have a problem with playing on the side of the Germans in a WW2 game either. It's just a game. In real life I don't like guns. I have tested firing guns and it's not my thing. People are different. But I still really like shooting guns and blasters in video games.

Games are not real life. Games are supposed to be fun. Games are supposed to be escapism. A way for a moment at least, not having to deal with viruses and a-holes.

"Covid-19 SIMULATOR 2022" - no thanks.
Absolutely! My post was more a comment at how the narrator felt the need to point it out;)

As for the game itself, a few observations:

It looks like it all takes place in space. No planetary environments, or should I say no surface environments. So no Hoth (which is very disappointing), no Tatooine/Beggar's Canyon, no Death Star (both 1 & 2). Maybe they haven't shown us the whole game or maybe it'll be in DLC. Which leads to...

I wish they would've set the game during the OT instead of immediately after it. I know I know, we've all played those battles numerous times in previous games but never in VR and if you've never had a chance to try VR, it's a fantastic experience especially for flight sims and I'd love to have that experience in a familiar Star Wars setting with familiar Star Wars characters. That includes the PT as well. They didn't show much of what the single player campaign will entail which is worrisome.

I get the feeling EA is holding back a lot of content AGAIN that they're going to release later on as paid DLC which would explain the low price point. More ships, more maps, playable characters from the movies. Typical EA fare.

Absolutely! My post was more a comment at how the narrator felt the need to point it out;)

As for the game itself, a few observations:

It looks like it all takes place in space. No planetary environments, or should I say no surface environments. So no Hoth (which is very disappointing), no Tatooine/Beggar's Canyon, no Death Star (both 1 & 2). Maybe they haven't shown us the whole game or maybe it'll be in DLC. Which leads to...

I wish they would've set the game during the OT instead of immediately after it. I know I know, we've all played those battles numerous times in previous games but never in VR and if you've never had a chance to try VR, it's a fantastic experience especially for flight sims and I'd love to have that experience in a familiar Star Wars setting with familiar Star Wars characters. That includes the PT as well. They didn't show much of what the single player campaign will entail which is worrisome.

I get the feeling EA is holding back a lot of content AGAIN that they're going to release later on as paid DLC which would explain the low price point. More ships, more maps, playable characters from the movies. Typical EA fare.

Totally.

I own a PSVR and I have played through the free Rogue One mission a couple of times.
Easily my best VR experience. Just incredible. The immersion, the 3D. Almost got nauseous at times.

Even if WE have played through OT missions in older games, doesn't mean newer generations shouldn't get to do that. :p

I would still love to. Bring it on. :)

We've all been saying for years they need to remake the X-Wing (etc) PC games from the 90s. That's exactly what Squadrons is! Looking forward to it.

Not to start a fight, but I have zero interest in single player games. I only game for 1.5 to 2 hours a night and don't feel like wandering vast open spaces doing fetch-quests or having to backtrack through levels just to unlock some random box. Single player action/fights are typically just whack-a-mole sequences that once you learn the pattern of the AI enemies, there is very little in regards to tactics or strategy needed to come out on top.

Multiplayer (to me) provides that constant action that I'm looking for, along with a competitive/varied environment that makes each match/game different. For me, a game excels when it can provide a balanced multiplayer experience. Battlefront 2 failed (imo) by having bad gunplay (hit detection and aim assist) along with unbalanced perks and Heroes brought into the game through a pay-wall system. Balance the gameplay and improve the controls and I could see a case where Squadrons could shine.

All of that said, I fully understand the issues that people have with multiplayer games and how they exist in today's gaming sphere:
- you die way too quickly
- if you aren't playing every day and leveling up your gear/perks/etc then you (again) get smacked down
- every game is sweaty/ultra-competitive
- every game has a steep learning curve to understand the meta
- playing solo/lone-wolf is frustrating
- if you try to join a random squad, nobody is using mics or communicating in any way

Developers have recently started to invoke Skill-Based Matchmaking (SBMM) to counter a lot of the issues that casuals/new players encounter by placing "like skilled players" all in the same lobbies. There are pros and cons to this approach, but I do think it helps new players get their feet wet before being dropped into the lions den.

Other games (The Division, Battlefront 2, etc) have brought in AI enemies into the multiplayer space to try to blend the two (single player and multiplayer). Games like Destiny have leaned heavily on the co-op multiplayer experience (still online multiplayer, but without the pvp competitive issues).

Not really trying to change anyone's mind here, I'm just a multiplayer-only perspective to the discussion.

Got your Point. I like MP Games that make sense in MP. Like Counter Strike. But if I want to play a great story and explore new worlds MP most of the time is a PITA.

When I look back to the greatest games I'v ever played then there are titles like Monkey Island, Indiana Jones 4, Deus Ex, Half-Life, Mafia 1, GTA, The Witcher etc. Games that tell a story to me. And evenif there's a MP to them it's their SP that changed gaming.

I like Co-Ops, where you can play a great story with some friends. I hate open things like GTA where you and your friends have always join back on the same server after every race, heist etc. and then you get killed by a 13 year old idiot with a fighting jet in downtown LS.

I hear you, but for something like SW, I don't want some idiot yelling "YOLO! YOLOOOOOOO!" in the middle of the game and removing the immersion of it. That was the first and last time I tried playing SWTOR when it was free.
I feel like a lot of people tried multiplayer games years ago and had this type of experience (the 12-year old screaming in their mic) and feel like all games are like this. Nowadays, almost 99% of gamers either (a) don't talk at all or (b) are in party chat. When I'm not playing with my squad-mates, I rarely hear anyone talking. That said, developers are catching onto this issue/concern and implementing things into games that allow players to "talk" without actually talking. In MW: Warzone, they make it very easy to 'ping' items of interest in your field of view and on the overhead map. You can also make requests for more ammo, etc. through the interface. I hear that Apex Legends also does this. Makes for a much more enjoyable solo experience.

well I am taking the plunge into X BOX. during this "covid" period, everything is in short supply. I am a die hard PLAYSTATION fan and really want PS5... but who knows when it we be released, price point etc. so anyway my room mates have x boxes and they have slowly turned me.... I found a 6 month old gently used x box one x 4K? with the 1T hard drive for 300.00. bought a brand new 50'' vizio 4K UHD for 290.00 and will be hooking everything up this afternoon!!

Last edited:
well I am taking the plunge into X BOX. during this "covid" period, everything is in short supply. I am a die hard PLAYSTATION fan and really want PS5... but who knows when it we be released, price point etc. so anyway my room mates have x boxes and they have slowly turned me.... I found a 6 month old gently used x box one x 4K? with the 1T hard drive for 300.00. bought a brand new 50'' vizio 4K UHD for 290.00 and will be hooking everything up this afternoon!!

The PS5 is scheduled for the holidays. Unless something happens it would be here by Xmas. Price tag is looking to be $400-500 range depending on which one you want. Stream / DL the games or old school disc games. I’ll be getting one is they have Demon’s Souls remaster as a release date game.

My 17yo. nephew brought his Xbox One from his room the other day when I was over so we could play a game. It's got stains all over it and looks like a can of Coke spilled in it (probably did...). I asked him why he wasn't taking better care of it because he plays it everyday and he says "I don't know what that is, I take care of it!" :unsure: I'm actually surprised it will turn on.

Been concentrating a lot on my college classes these past few months since I've been working from home. I'm supposed to move to Texas this fall but it's kinda been put on hold. I doubled up on them for that reason, so I wouldn't have to worry about interruptions while moving plus a military school I'm supposed to go to prior/during/after the move. now that I'm done with college classes until Oct/Nov I figured I'd relax and escape from all this damn "apocalypse stuff" in the real world with more games. Thank you, GTA online for continuing my strong belief for having very little faith in people as a whole lol.

I've had much better luck in RDRO and that really feels like the "Wild West" in that everyone seems to give each other space and it's pretty easy to outrun anyone who looks like they're going to give you trouble, unlike GTAO since horses > super turbo powered (and flying cars) and motorcycles.

man oh man, the guy I bought the X BOX from baby'd it! this thing is pristine, he kept the box and even the little plastic bags etc. HE SHOOTS.. HE SCORES!! :p

I've still got the original box for my Xbox sitting in the garage. In fact, I still have boxes for game systems I don't even have anymore. I ought to get rid of some of those.

*2160p

PS5 is supposed to come out in November in two versions, digital only for $399 and the regular for $499.

so got it up and running, man the graphic's and game play are stellar! Ive been outta the gaming world for almost 10-12 year's so imagine finally getting the time to "upgrade" everything :eek: started out playing destiny 2, there is a ton to learn and my room mates keep telling me "come on get on line!!" :cautious: uhhh yeah I need to level WAY up before I do that again.. :lol:

yeah its the learning the buttons and menu's. these guys have been playing for months with there level well over 1000, I'm at 660? its still fun tho, were looking for chat head set's today. instead of yelling up stairs and out of bed rooms... :lol:

Has anyone heard Rockstar saying they won't do another GTA? Someone on a game site comment section was saying that Rockstar said because of the climate they probably won't do another GTA because they thought they would get too many lawsuits over people being offended by everything. Every GTA since Vice City have been controversial in some form, so I can't see them bowing to pressure when the games make so much money. That would be like shutting down South Park because someone was offended!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back