The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

Oh yeah? Where in Montana? I used to spend summers out your way. Don't get your hopes up about it representing Montana especially accurately. They got the accents all wrong. Everyone is southern-ish, which is NOT what folks sound like.

It's a lot like Homefront: The Revolution, which is set in my home town of Philadelphia...except literally nothing about the geography of the game is anything relating to Philly, people sound more like they're from New York, and there's not a local landmark to be seen. The architecture is...kinda similar, but all the different parts of town you go to are totally made up.

Great Falls area! And got family down in Helena and Missoula.

Where did spend your summers?

Last edited:
Great Falls area! And got family down in Helena and Missoula.

Where did spend your summers?

Nice! Mostly around Nye, up in the Beartooth mountains. We'd fly into Billings, drive to Red Lodge, and from Red Lodge to Nye. Then when we'd get out of the hills, we'd hit up the Chico Hot Springs for a nice dinner. Did one summer up around Kalispell, and another nearish to Missoula.

Anyone ever play the SNES Star Wars games? Super SW,ESB and ROTJ. Just found out that SSW was remastered for the PS4 back in 2015. Got it for $5. Those are some ridiculously hard games. Even with save states, I have had to reload my progress a few hundred times and I haven't even finished it yet. The original game didn't have a save or password feature...pretty much impossible.

Anyone ever play the SNES Star Wars games? Super SW,ESB and ROTJ. Just found out that SSW was remastered for the PS4 back in 2015. Got it for $5. Those are some ridiculously hard games. Even with save states, I have had to reload my progress a few hundred times and I haven't even finished it yet. The original game didn't have a save or password feature...pretty much impossible.

That's what the Game Genie was for! :)

Why do CG characters in cutscenes tend to have such terrible skin? The complexion is ashen and splotchy, often with a greasy film and obscenely vivid pores. I feel like they just get carried away with trying to be realistic and end up making everyone look rough.

What ticks me off in games is when you do a really hard mission/quest and they make it sound like you're getting a great reward and then when you finally complete it, the reward is crap. I remember in The Witcher 3, after say Level 10-ish, being rewarded with things that were always inferior to the armor/swords I already had. The Witcher gear was always way better.

So I've been playing Far Cry 5 and if you haven't played it there's a mission where a Vietnam vet says he and all his buddies prepared an arsenal for when "the crap hits the fan" and that a part of the code for the door is on their lighters. So you have to find 12 lighters all over the map. You can buy a map that puts icons on the map to show you where to go, but it still takes awhile. Anyway I finished it and go to his bunker thinking surely I'm getting some special weapon for all this work and I open the door and there's just ammo, a bulletproof vest, and some explosives. Are you kidding me?!?! I don't know if because it was made by Ubisoft Montreal they don't know what kinds of guns Americans have, but I have a larger gun collection than these 12 guys' "arsenal"! To me that's kind of a screw you to the player. I hate that!

...So I've been playing Far Cry 5 ... screw you to the player. I hate that!

So, I think this one is a no win scenario for the developer.

1. Give you an awesome Super Powerful weapon
- people will whine that the "good gun" can't be gotten without doing stupid fetch quests. And that playing the game should give you the best gear.
-or-
- people complain that the game is broken, because you can just run around and collect some things, then get the best gun.

2. Give you an almost empty room.
- player feels bummed over the mostly empty room.

Collectable hunting is a weird mission. I feel like it's almost only good if it ONLY rewards the player with an achievement, and a higher game completion %. Since those rewards won't be cared about to much by players that don't already feel compelled to collect everything on principal.

Well it depends. I remember playing Battlefield 3 and the starting gun for the engineer was the M4. It wasn't what most people thought was the best gun in the game, but I racked up more kills using that than anything. I think they could give you a reward without messing the game up.

In most of these games, if you are at all competent, you are going to have some pretty decent weapons long before the game just starts handing them out. I noticed that in The Outer Worlds, where they finally started handing out science weapons and I already had some of the most powerful guns in the game. I think that some of those missions are just there to catch people up who aren't all that competent.

I just finished The Outer Worlds. I give it a 5/10. The game just gets going and then ends. It feels like it wasn't finished. The companions are underdeveloped and you don't really care about them. I'd say if you can get this in a sale for around $20 it might be worth buying. If you really want a good scifi RPG go get the three Mass Effect games.

Well it depends. I remember playing Battlefield 3 and the starting gun for the engineer was the M4. It wasn't what most people thought was the best gun in the game, but I racked up more kills using that than anything. I think they could give you a reward without messing the game up.

The real problem with the Battlefield series and games designed similarly to it is the concept of "unlocks" at all.

If your game isn't fun enough to hold people's attention without putting them on a boring, grindy hamster-wheel experiment in operant conditioning, then your game isn't actually very good.

Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition announced for Steam, PS4, Switch and Xbox.

After the original source code was lost, the recent fan rebuild of 1997's Blade Runner PC game that appeared on GOG in December is now getting the graphical update treatment for all platforms. Guess the sales on GOG must have been pretty good.

www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/classic-blade-runner-video-game-be-restored-consoles-steam-1283768

EDIT: Limited Run Games confirms PS4 and Switch will also be getting physical releases of the game including special Collector's Editions.

Last edited:
I'm going to play it but I need to play RE: Origins Collection and RE2 first. I always meant to play those anyway.

In the meantime, has anyone played the FFVII Remake demo? The real time/command hybrid fighting mechanic takes a lot of getting used to but the more I did, the more I enjoyed it.

So they are saying this is the PS5 controller. Guess they got a bunch of storm troopers to design it.
So it will be nice and white on the first day and gray about a week later.
But who knows. The PS3 debuted a weird silver boomarang controller, but by launch was the typical normal type.

ps5controller.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back