The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

I've always loved PC gaming, but at 10 years old it was really not holding up to the task, had been on 360 and wii for a bit. Until last year, finally built up a really good rig and wow. stuff has changed a lot. Steam is a complete game changer and the best thing to ever happen to PC games. Kerbal Space Program has stolen my soul haha. Also next year is going to be really interesting with all the VR headsets coming out. I've been drooling at the Oculus Rift for a while now, specifically built this pc to be able to run it the moment it comes out

Heard Nintendo is looking at doing Apps these days and doing business with other systems.

Entirely false. It would kill them instantly, the only thing keeping them afloat is their IP exclusivity. They ARE working with one company to make some smartphone apps, but you'll never see a full Mario game on your iphone. They'll use them to either promote their AAA titles or to work in tandem with them for extra things.

so, what's your reviews on mario maker? the unlocking system sounds stupid. it's not a game, it's a creation system like mario paint.

LOVE Mario Maker, as do my kids. They keep making levels to see if I can beat them. ;)

Unlocking system doesn't bother me and makes sense to a point. They want you to get used to the new stuff and encourage you to build in several different styles. It's easy enough to bypass though. Create for 5 minutes, then advance your Wii U's clock to the next day. Rinse and repeat until done.

The game is great and there is definitely no shortage of awesome courses out there to try!

LOVE Mario Maker, as do my kids. They keep making levels to see if I can beat them. ;)

Unlocking system doesn't bother me and makes sense to a point. They want you to get used to the new stuff and encourage you to build in several different styles. It's easy enough to bypass though. Create for 5 minutes, then advance your Wii U's clock to the next day. Rinse and repeat until done.

The game is great and there is definitely no shortage of awesome courses out there to try!

ifnintendo where smart, they'd do a contest that would use the best levels created and release them in an official mario game

ifnintendo where smart, they'd do a contest that would use the best levels created and release them in an official mario game

I have no doubt that at the very least they'll take some inspiration from some of the levels created! Already a great community of builders. :)

It wouldn't surprise me if they had some contests or other plans for Mario Maker. Loads of potential for additional DLC as well (the good kind).

Oddly enough I got my first 2 amiibos today at walmart, that area was hit hard. They're a hit with the gamers and collectors. I'm not letting it get out of hand like my Transformers collection did though, i'm only going to get specific ones lol.

and then there was this. the most 'I couldn't give a flying flip' performance since Groot in Bay Turtles . that running attempt.. my god..

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up ordering Amiibos of that 8 bit mario online, it's cheaper and easier to get the damned things from Japan than a US seller. A mario that walmart had like a dozen of is 25.00 on amazon which confuses me lol. My destiny game showed up late today so now i have to go out first thing in the morning to return it, gamestop's still not returned my emails from a week ago.

Did GameStop quit sending used controllers out to be cleaned and serviced?
I bought one last week, and when I got it home, the left trigger didn't work.
I took it back on Monday and exchanged it and bought a second used controller, and when I got them home they were both filthy.
Like boogers and cheezy-poofs and spilled Kool-Aid filthy.

Could it just be the store I bought them from, or does GameStop have a new policy about not giving a crap?

I buy all my stuff off ebay and amazon off sellers I trust. I very rarely buy anything used from gamestop, i get better prices online plus i don't want to encourage their new idea to buy and sell old gaming stuff like NES games. It's a ploy to get folks in who don't ebay or have a locally owned used game store. Actually i only order from gamestop because lately they have exclusive special editions of games nobody else does.

Off topic - Wes R: I know your signature is from an Alice Cooper song, but every time I see it I think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvnkTUbssbI

"Since I was no bigger than a weavil they've been saying I was evil
That if "bad" was a boot that I'd fit it
That I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately
O **** it! I'm a monster! I admit it!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Those actually sound like lyrics he'd write at some point lol. I have to admit I do have one OCD about games: that old ones be as complete as possible and in this case it's those foam inserts that used to come in Sega CD/Saturn and first gen Playstation long box cases. I ended up buying 60.00 worth just to have extras on hand. Newer games i don't mind getting from gamestop as long as they have a case since companies are getting pretty cheap and not including manuals anymore. Oddly enough with 2 gamestops near me the only one i deal with is an hour north of us i go to once a year. The two locally i've had bad luck with and are in horrid locations to get to after moving out of our mall.

I really wish they'd stop making 3rd party Genesis systems and give us quality 3rd party sega cds, NES and SNES systems. Nintendo is missing out on reissuing those older systems with built in games like Sega does. Also i have to replace bad capacitors in my gamegear and it terrifies me to do it as I'm not good at this kind of thing. I'd buy another, and i might, but every model has the same issue with bad capacitors that stop it from working.

I dunno, but as someone with OCD, that's why I refuse to buy used.

I always buy used and just open and clean it myself. Super easy and cheap! Never found a controller for any system that I couldn't fix.

I really wish they'd stop making 3rd party Genesis systems and give us quality 3rd party sega cds, NES and SNES systems. Nintendo is missing out on reissuing those older systems with built in games like Sega does. Also i have to replace bad capacitors in my gamegear and it terrifies me to do it as I'm not good at this kind of thing. I'd buy another, and i might, but every model has the same issue with bad capacitors that stop it from working.

Replacing caps isn't hard, cramming them into the game gear isn't fun though. I've done a few. If shipping isn't too bad I'd do it for you for a few bucks.

Nintendo makes money on it's virtual consoles with the old games, so releasing all in one systems wouldn't make sense. Less bang for their buck. Sega does that because they don't have a platform anymore.

star wars kinect wont start....

So, I finally decided to take this out and get around to it, and I can't even get the damn thing to start the game.
it won't recognize my wave, and when I voice 'start game' or 'xbox start game'..nothing.. I just go into that maddening threepio search for the commander.

am i doing something wrong?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back