The Veepy rocket pack builders thread (hijack friendly)

zorg

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
To avoid hijacking other threads, post everything here. EVERYONE welcome.

1. build progress
2. build questions
3. hardware supplies
4. workarounds
5. electronics
6. printer settings or orientations
7. paints or glues
8. handy tips

(disclaimer....because i started this thread there is a good chance it will die a death)

here is where i'm at right now, i got all this printed from a part roll of e-sun pla+ "silver"
creality cr-10 V2
55mm/s speed in general (35 for the little fins 0.12 lh)
0.24 layer height is coming out fine (for me)
zVpffm4.jpg

stuck some weights on the picture incase you want a quick ref of approx weights to see what you can squeeze outta part roll.. its gonna be slightly different depending on your settings. these are post support weights.
i had to reprint the washers in sunlu grey as i wasn't happy with how they turned out.

i have also been trying to orientate the seam lines where they will be harder to see.
either blended into the existing seam or under other parts. or at the rear.
i printed the tank blisters standing up to avoid the layer steps.
HtfMul8.jpg

i am printing 3 layer walls because i want it pretty sturdy due to the high G turns i expect when in flight.

z

Last edited:
It’s 235x235x250 and I’m using the Creality version of Cura at the moment
I've just tried the largest pieces and they are coming in within the build limits you quote.

obviously the engine sections combined file is too tall but the 2 seperate files fit no problem.

even though my cr10 has a 400mm z limit, the combined pieces are about 396. something mm

i didn't want to risk my machine somehow not being able to reach quoted height so i chickened out and printing separately.

the main hull tilted back should fit on your machine.

im using cura 4.8

So am I going to be able to do all this on an ender 3 or do I have to learn to split some bits?

pretty sure it will fit, what parts are you worried about?

here is the main hull for example, probably the most awkward part, obviously i would stand it more vertical due to my higher z height limit.
pGysefW.jpg

the engine tubes come pre split if that is how you want to do it.

the rest of the parts will fit no problem....in my opinion

I've just tried the largest pieces and they are coming in within the build limits you quote.

obviously the engine sections combined file is too tall but the 2 seperate files fit no problem.

even though my cr10 has a 400mm z limit, the combined pieces are about 396. something mm

i didn't want to risk my machine somehow not being able to reach quoted height so i chickened out and printing separately.

the main hull tilted back should fit on your machine.

im using cura 4.8
Thanks I should be good to go then, I just need to buy some more filament!
Also, do I understand correctly that there’s a couple of parts I need to buy from the designer of the files which they print on an SLA printer in finer detail?

Thanks I should be good to go then, I just need to buy some more filament!
Also, do I understand correctly that there’s a couple of parts I need to buy from the designer of the files which they print on an SLA printer in finer detail?
Yes, send an email and request to be added to the list, you will then get a private link to eBay when there are some available.
I think you will need at Least 4kg, and that is keeping supports to a minimum.

The fit of the parts are excellent, high rez models.

Well I pulled the trigger. I bought a printer for this project. Plan on setting it up and learning all I can. Lots of test prints!
I will probably be leaning on the community, pretty heavily for guidance.
Wish me luck!
Bob

Well I pulled the trigger. I bought a printer for this project. Plan on setting it up and learning all I can. Lots of test prints!
I will probably be leaning on the community, pretty heavily for guidance.
Wish me luck!
Bob
I will have to admit it took a couple of weeks before i could start getting my first successful prints, don't expect everything to work straight outta the box, watch plenty of you tube videos. the problem i had was the print head was not tight enough and was wobbling around each layer. so fail after fail ensued.

getting the bed level is the most important thing. once you get everything tightened up :lol:

good luck!

I see some talk about the “seams” here.

The model was created with intentional seams in many of the parts. That’s the way the original looks. Some are fake seams in the model, and others are actual true seams when the parts will come together.

The only seam folks should be trying to hide if at all, is the seam created at the rear between lower and mid tank parts. The original doesn’t have a seam running along the back. This is why I included a combined version of these two parts, which eliminates that seam at the rear.

Happy printing!!!

I see some talk about the “seams” here.

The model was created with intentional seams in many of the parts. That’s the way the original looks. Some are fake seams in the model, and others are actual true seams when the parts will come together.

The only seam folks should be trying to hide if at all, is the seam created at the rear between lower and mid tank parts. The original doesn’t have a seam running along the back. This is why I included a combined version of these two parts, which eliminates that seam at the rear.

Happy printing!!!
(excluding vase mode)

ahhhhhh but your seam and my seam are two very different things.........

every line the printer lays down has a stop and a start, this leaves a small imperfection. stack these imperfections on top of each other and you are left with a seam.

when i pull up one of your files into the slicer program, in my case cura, i orientate the model and or tell the slicer where i want this line of imperfections to go. if i place it where your seam is already i can hide it there.
hope this clarifies what i was talking about.
utW8px2.jpg

gnolivos,
I do not know if this is possible. Could it be possible to have your resin printer source print the radiator sections, and all vent grills and little fins. Cost being what is appropriate. I went out and bought a printer to do this project. I have no experience at all but I like this project so much that I had to try. I want it to be the best it can be. I can not imagine going out and buying a Mars just to print these parts. I know it is a big ask as you have expressed your feelings about getting involved in the commercial side of things.
Thank you
Bob

gnolivos,
I do not know if this is possible. Could it be possible to have your resin printer source print the radiator sections, and all vent grills and little fins. Cost being what is appropriate. I went out and bought a printer to do this project. I have no experience at all but I like this project so much that I had to try. I want it to be the best it can be. I can not imagine going out and buying a Mars just to print these parts. I know it is a big ask as you have expressed your feelings about getting involved in the commercial side of things.
Thank you
Bob

If you assemble the little fins into one “file” (all of them together) and use Shapeways to print in ultra detailed resin it will be quite affordable. The small tail circular vent too.

The radiator however is massively expensive at Shapeways for whatever reason I could not understand. Their pricing is nuts with larger parts.

If you assemble the little fins into one “file” (all of them together) and use Shapeways to print in ultra detailed resin it will be quite affordable. The small tail circular vent too.

The radiator however is massively expensive at Shapeways for whatever reason I could not understand. Their pricing is nuts with larger parts.
i have ordered several times from shapeways, i think the main issue with the larger top vent pieces and their expense with shapeways is the material build volume.

i bet if you upload one but include a hole in the model for them to retrieve/remove the unused material from inside it would be cheaper.

I priced the larger hull vent in Shapeways and it was $70 using detailed resin. Crazy. The build volume isn’t the issue !

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back