The Universal Studios Theme Park KITT - Got any Pics?

firebirdta84

Does anyone have any pics of the Knight Rider KITT cars that Universal used at their theme park in California? Either while it was on display or in the years since. The car you see below was on display from the 80's until the late 90's, then sat outside the tram garage until 2008:

kittuniversalstudios.jpg

univ001.jpg

I've already scoured the Internet for pics, but if you guys have any of your own - love to see them!

Joe

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???? By no stretch of the imagination is this how you treat one of the greatest characters/vehicles in television history. When things like this happen, I get really pissed off. I remember when I went down there with my family when I was 18. It was our first time going, and seeing that car in person was one of the greatest moments of my life. It was so awesome to sit in the driver's seat of a car I had watched on TV as a kid. I'm sorry if I'm taking this personally, but Knight Rider was one of my favorite shows.

I'm too freaked out by that ad to notice.
Still trying to work what the link between
Knight Rider, Mr Men and Yogi Bear is?

And how does it start in London and end up with
A wide shot of...Looks like Detroit.

think the makers thought we wouldnt notice its a u.s backlot if they stuck a uk uniform on the traffic warden ...unless its filmed and edited for all countrys?

ah cool , ive got some photos of it but no scanner , planning to get one soon so will try and update it

looked nice when i saw it...apart from the vandal proof interior

There were a LOT of KITTs - They filmed part of the season 3 opened KNIGHT OF THE DRONES at my house when I was a kid, and even for THAT, they brought a truck with 6 backup KITTs ...

My house was the one on the hill that "Margo" lives in with the two twin guards... (Dont live there anymore)

They shot for 3 days - I have a lot of pictures, and D.H. even gave me his personal crew hat - I still have it.. Its cool because its pretty beaten up.. I guess he wore it for a while before he gave it to me :)

Thats my house :)
I lived there from before I was 1, up until I turned 10 or so - My dad built the house.. Its in the hills of Tiburon, Ca. (They shot a Jacuzzi commercial in the Jacuzzi, too :)

I dont have any scans online, but this is one that is on a Marin county nostalgia site, marinnostalgia.com

Thats me in 1985

web.jpg

If that was a stunt car someone added an airdam from the 1984 TA aero package to the front. This part was never on KITT. The seats are also the wrong style.

Last edited:
space rat - you are exactly right. The air dam was added by Universal specifically for display purposes. It hid some of the audio equipment that allowed the car to talk to the visitors at the park. Regarding the seats, this car DID have the correct seats when first on display. The problem is, with thousands of visitors getting in and our of the car, the original seats were worn over the decade, so Universal just threw any seats in there - that's the reason for the non-authentic ones.

Joe

I have pictures of it from when I visited the park years ago. They are put away in a "safe place" (i.e., not sure where my box of photos ended up after my most recent move). If I come across them I'll try to get them cleanly scanned and uploaded.

Always wished that they added the aero package to KITT. I thought it would have looked great on it.:love In 1985 when they made the ground effects bigger and added that beautiful spoiler to the TA ,:love:love I thought for sure they would. Still, it's a shame how Universal treated that car.:cry Especially since it was screen used. Maybe someone will fix it up someday.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back