The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by SethS, Jan 14, 2017.

1. SethS

SethS Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

it's one step short of boing a paper towel tube drawn on with a sharpie

halliwax likes this.
  2. SethS

Okay saber fam-- Here is a BETA version of the next edition.

It's not yet on wannawanga, I haven't released it to the FB groups or other forums. I'm not even updating the first post yet. I am still waiting on notes from a couple new sources and some images are still on the way to me, so this is not final. But this is close, so now's the time I do a small show for you all to play spot the problems...

LOTS of changes. Did a lot of rewriting, a few new entries, and I dod a total redesign. Enjoy!

http://sethmsherwood.com/OMGSECRET/V4_2019_betaV2.pdf

3. nailuj

nailuj Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

yippeee!!!

4. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

A couple of thoughts on the sequel trilogy sabers...

Re how shiny the graflexes look in TLJ, my suspicion is the color grading is causing it, rather than CGI replacement or touchups. Depending on what exactly they're doing, they could be dragging the highlights and shadows all over the dang map, which would certainly mess with the appearance of something like reflective metal.

For the sake of completeness, I think it's worth comsidering that they could also have just replated the vintages they were using. Is that likely? I don't know, but it's worth listing.

Re Kylo Ren's saber, you may want to check out this thread and have a look at this guys work recreating the saber(s). He seems to think the TFA and TLJ sabers are different and it's worth checking out to see if he's right.

Kylo Ren's Lightsaber Hilt Build

Obvious differences include a wider, more irregular cutout in the main body on the TLJ version, and different shaping where the side emitters meet the body.

SethS likes this.
  5. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That kobold promotional saber is wacky

ms80444, halliwax and SethS like this.
  6. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

Wow, one of those sabers really is just a pipe.

thd9791 and SethS like this.
  7. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The TLJ graflexs were wicked polished. You can see the polish job in the Star Wars show props episode

Where they debuted the “white glove” saber. I just recently backed up my phone and don’t have a picture to show you for example :(

You can see in between the t track the difference in finish, between the track, and the upper part of the flash

I think they just buffed the heck out of them

AnubisGuard likes this.
  8. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is it strange that through all these changes, my favorite section is still the "about me" section at the end?

9. SethS

There's some dude Fan-splaining me on one of the FB groups using the guide as his evidence... guess he skipped right to the pictures...

10. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I saw that, haha. I felt the same when I was being “schooled” on the Obi saber last week.

11. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Fan-splaining, HAA!!! Love it! That's going in the lexicon.

I would have paid money to see that. But I doubt I would've been able to keep myself from laughing at whoever was "schooling" you.

12. halliwax

Social media... heeeerrrrhhhhhh

russellsch, Jediseth and jorged123 like this.
  13. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

Link? Lol

I remember years ago when I was among the most knowledgeable regarding sabers.. since then give forgotten many details and so much has been discovered and debunked I do t even know whats going on with sabers anymore. Lol

Great work btw,

JunkSabers1138, thd9791 and SethS like this.
  14. SethS

We've all been there. I'm being treated like a n00b pariah at the Dented Helmet right now be cause my ability to eyeball EE-3 accuracies is zilch compared to my saber knowledge.

thd9791 likes this.
  15. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

All the freaking blaster variants look the same to me. Can't tell a Greedo Killer from an...actually, that's the only variant name I know. But I can spot a graflex variant from a mile away!

halliwax and SethS like this.
  16. SethS

I can spot the DL44 variations, and the obvious differences between the ROTJ and ESB EE-3... but beyond that I got nothing. Even with comparison photos with E11s I can't see the difference.

halliwax likes this.
  17. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I got caught once at the Dented helmet thinking the "stunt" fett rifle was the real hero. They pointed out the seam line in the barrel is where it "blows up" and theres a cut-out in the stock with a switch and wiring for the pyro charge. And yet I can spot different Stunt sabers.

halliwax likes this.
  18. halliwax

I don’t know s75t besides v2 stuff :/

19. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

I really like a lot of the new additions and the improved layout, plus I love the classic red and black color scheme that makes the contrasting white text easier to read.

The ONE thing I would change, I'm not too crazy about the photonegative sabers beginning each chapter. To me, the benefit of the full color photos from previous editions is that it gives the reader the best possible look of the saber in question as it would have looked on screen (even if it's just a dang good replica) before going into the unclear and grainy screenshots/photographs in the chapter proper.

But apart from that, excellent work as always! <3

steven giunta and SethS like this.
  20. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great to see all this info in one place!

In the beta I noticed that page 16 is locatedafter page 26.

Edit: whoops, missed that my other comment was covered in the guide itself!

SethS likes this.
  21. BlueSaber

BlueSaber Jr Member

I’m sorry, I love your book I constantly check it, but I have to be honest - I absolutely HATE the inverted colors. It would be like reading a novel with a black background and white text it would bug me to death. And I miss the actual showcase pictures of the sabers at the beginning of each chapter. This is a style over substance thing so I implore you to change it back.

22. BlueSaber

BlueSaber Jr Member

Also caught a typo on the prequel sabers rots grievous:

There was significant use of CG body-stunt dou- bles in ROTS. Therefor CG models of many props, including lightsabers, were created.

23. SethS

Still toying with the chapter headers, those will likely change. The inverted photos aren't something I am married to-- but the overall white text on black and red theme is probably there to stay.

JunkSabers1138 likes this.
  24. roygilsing

roygilsing Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You also mentioned it's done to prevent illegal printing, didn't you?
    But keeping the images correctly would also be my preference.

halliwax and SethS like this.
  25. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Quick comment on phrasing... The guide on pages 57 and 58 attributes the Praco Yoda build to being made specifically for the Episode 1 Visual Dictionary - according to Ed's telling, the prop was made independently as a goof by EM and SD, and it was through his friendship with David West Reynolds that DWR became aware of the prop, and requested to borrow it for photography and inclusion in the book (and unbeknownst for the later movies):

Yoda VD lightsaber discussion

So it was really a fan-made design that was incorporated into supplemental materials and then the movies themselves, rather than something commissioned by Lucasfilm or DK books. I saw he commented in this thread last month so I may be saying things you already know :)

Also, do you remember the source of the association of that Minicam flash saber with Even Piell? I couldn't find much info on it anywhere on the RPF, so I added a comment to the single thread about it, here: Even Piell Lightsaber

Nitpicky but I noticed a few times where Mark Hamill's last name was spelled with only one L - 'Hamil' instead of 'Hamill'

26. D48thRonin

D48thRonin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That was always my understanding of the genesis of the Yoda saber as well.

E Williams likes this.
  27. SethS

I've got Ed's exact account, it's one of the parts I'm still revising.

Drew Baker and E Williams like this.