The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

I recently got the inspiration to machine the slope on my grenade down to make it accurate to the original prop. I then aged it again so it was like before the operation.
IMG_7416.jpeg

And then after a little while of messing around with all the parts one of the tabs that held my grenade in place snapped recently and the whole assembly started to not hold together properly. When I would screw it together it was very lopsided and didn't feel sturdy. I figured machining some sort of spacer would allow the grenade to sit in the correct position according to the Chronicles reference and also take the stress off of the remaining tab. The idea was that this would allow the long threaded section to support the weight of the grenade and add stability side to side.

IMG_7483.jpeg
IMG_7484.jpeg
IMG_7486.jpeg
IMG_7487.jpeg
IMG_7488.jpeg
IMG_7492.jpeg

I realized I didn't take a photo of the whole thing assembled yet... but here's a screenshot from a short video I took of it together.
IMG_7496.png

So schrodinger555 ... well done ... does this mean you'll open up a workshop soon, for commissions from members looking to 'upgrade' their precious Hales with those additional not screen-accurate cuts or without that correct slope? ;)

I just realised, now I need to adjust your Obi-Wan lightsaber in my Picture Index :

OB1 - Mechanismo*schrodinger555.jpg

Chaïm

Last edited:
I have done some commission work for people with regards to weathering and machining before, but it's usually simple stuff! I can definitely take on making hales more accurate like this though :) I don't think I can make a non symmetrical cut hales symmetrical though, it would make the cuts too wide, but with the sharp slope this is a step closer to the correct look!

As far as updating the Index I would wait for a little while! Another upgrade is going to come in June and then I'll be content with this build (for now anyway...)
So schrodinger555 ... well done ... does this mean you'll open up a workshop soon, for commissions from members looking to 'upgrade' their precious Hales with those additional not screen-accurate cuts or without that correct slope? ;)

I just realised, now I need to adjust your Obi-Wan lightsaber in my Picture Index :

View attachment 1821140

Chaïm

I recently got the inspiration to machine the slope on my grenade down to make it accurate to the original prop. I then aged it again so it was like before the operation.
View attachment 1821118

And then after a little while of messing around with all the parts one of the tabs that held my grenade in place snapped recently and the whole assembly started to not hold together properly. When I would screw it together it was very lopsided and didn't feel sturdy. I figured machining some sort of spacer would allow the grenade to sit in the correct position according to the Chronicles reference and also take the stress off of the remaining tab. The idea was that this would allow the long threaded section to support the weight of the grenade and add stability side to side.

View attachment 1821104View attachment 1821106View attachment 1821107View attachment 1821108View attachment 1821109View attachment 1821110

I realized I didn't take a photo of the whole thing assembled yet... but here's a screenshot from a short video I took of it together.
View attachment 1821119
I would never know it had been altered. Looks really nice :)

I would never know it had been altered. Looks really nice :)
Thank you! That was the hope! I've been doing this type of iron aging for years in my regular work, so it's nice to be able to apply it to the hobby!

To late lol ... I used my Photoshop skills already, yet for your next 'upgrade' ... I'll need 2 new pictures :

View attachment 1821145

:)

Chaïm
You're the man Chäim! Thank you :) I'll send pics when I have the new parts in!

Awesome, ... I saw someone post it a few pages back ...

Actually, it was I who posted about those new old stock vintage washers, which I found just by sheer determination. Then I asked our very own scottjua for his assistance, since they were sold quite 'near' where he lives and to avoid additional costs for shipping and VAT. He also tinkers them slightly with his mill/lathe to make them even more accurate and for easy positioning over those Anita and DAT11 transistors :

OB1-20230109_104112*.jpg

Chaïm

Last edited:
Actually, it was I who posted about those new old stock vintage washers, which I found just by sheer determination. Then I asked our very own scottjua for his assistance, since they were sold quite 'near' where he lives and to avoid additional costs for shipping and VAT. He also tinkers them slightly with his mill/lathe to make them even more accurate and for easy positioning over those Anita and DAT11 transistors :

View attachment 1821846

Chaïm
Awesome! Definitely hoping to get a couple.

Has anyone attempted to embed rare earth magnets into the Anita transistors as a means to mount them to the clamp?

Has anyone attempted to embed rare earth magnets into the Anita transistors as a means to mount them to the clamp?
It’s an interesting concept.
I have seen people shave down bolt threads and mount them to the back.
I want to attach them in some way personally that doesn’t damage them.
I figure you could bend out the legs and maybe hot glue them to the inside of the clamp maybe.

Yeah with my other transistors I did the epoxied bolts but I never liked that solution. The splayed legs idea is worthwhile too.

Thank you that’s really helpful :) I know I ideally don’t want to damage mine.
So I will keep at it for now and see what I can do.
I found the most straightforward method (and how I currently have my transistors attached) was to snip the legs flush under the transistors and glue them directly onto the Graflex clamp with E6000. That method was recommended by 3251bimmer, and he has completed several of these builds.

I found the most straightforward method (and how I currently have my transistors attached) was to snip the legs flush under the transistors and glue them directly onto the Graflex clamp with E6000. That method was recommended by 3251bimmer, and he has completed several of these builds.
I may just do this as I'm not feeling like ******* up drilling out mine.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back