The Tick live action series costume props

agliarept

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi guys,

Im a huge of fan of the mighty blue justice and am really curious if anyone else is out there as well. hoping we can all share whatever photos of props/replica we might have around for the short lived tv series the Tick.
Here is my screen used cowl for the tick. cheers.

tick_head_1.jpg

08212009214.jpg

I have pants and a flannel shirt that are splattered with blue foam latex from the suits, does that count? :lol

Love seeing the stuff. Who else has something?

T

I have pants and a flannel shirt that are splattered with blue foam latex from the suits, does that count? :lol

Love seeing the stuff. Who else has something?

T

thats awesome lol. I would say that still counts :). Im hoping someone has the I.P. Daily license the tick used at one point. Thats my holy grail prop from the show. that and arthurs goggles too.

I think there is at least one other member with a full suit but I've got one in my collection. The antennae are production spares which I painted (none of the suits sold ever had the antennae... I think they reused them from suit to suit and probably cannibalized the RC parts for other shows after it wrapped).

Pretty sure the cowl in the pics above is from the pilot. IIRC, the pilot used snap-in cowls and all the other suits had the cowl attached to the body (like mine does). Pretty neat bit of info and a nice way to ID where your piece was used.

best
Tom

Tickweb.jpg

wow Tom thanks a lot for that bit of info. I was always curious why my cowl had the snaps on it as opposed to the full suits I've seen online. I never knew that. that's awesome.

Wow, very cool stuff. How in the heck did he get into that suit?

I used to love the cartoon and have to admit that I never caught the live action series. I'll definitely have to try to find it somewhere now.

"SPOON!"

Here's some screen shots from the Pilot. It definitely was a different suit. I guess after the show got picked up and they got a budget, they upgraded. Captain Liberty got a completely new outfit too... It's too bad about the antennae never being found, are there any details online about how they worked? Maybe remote controlled ones could be replicated...
attachment.php

I was just watching this series again as it's now available for instant streaming via Netflix!

Awesome to see the costumes still exist. I was just thinking about how the antennae worked since it didn't appear to have much room for servos, but I'm sure it's actually much simpler than I think.

Tom, does your full suit have the more sculpted looking feet? In some scenes, the suit had normal looking feet, and other scenes they were thick platforms (usually outdoor scenes when they're walking in a group.)

I really believe this show was two years too early. It debuted just before the superhero genre really took off, and with the success of Heroes (initially, anyway.... :) ) and the superhero box office successes, this show could have really taken off.

I'm just glad to have the eps they produced!

The problem with the live action Tick was that while they captured the characters well and executed the dialog driven humor, there was never any action. Leaving that component out seriously limited the opportunities for physical humor, which was a staple on the animated show. Maybe they just didn't have the budget to do it.

I have a cowl from the old XFX Butterfields auctions.

I was told that the pilot suits were made by one company and the two piece suits were created by XFX. The cowl and upper body were one piece on the XFX suits to stop the wrinkles, I was told. Same with the bottom half.

I wish I had a head form to display with the piece, but it's cool as is.

Also XFX did not make any of the antennae, because I tried to get a set for my cowl at that time and they told me that some guy from Rick Bakers made the antennae and they were impossible to get.

Dex

The problem with the live action Tick was that while they captured the characters well and executed the dialog driven humor, there was never any action. Leaving that component out seriously limited the opportunities for physical humor, which was a staple on the animated show. Maybe they just didn't have the budget to do it.

I completely agree. While I feel they captured every other element from the Animated series so well, I missed the often slapstick action such as Tick plummeting from the rooftops to bury himself halfway in the sidewalk, or crashing clumsily roof to roof.

I even loved the choices they made for the actors and character changes for PC-ness and ethnic diversity (particularly Nestor Carbonel as Bat Manuel.)

Sadly I couldn't get over the fact that Tick's cowl showed his whole face. Silly I know.

Last edited:
I have a cowl from the old XFX Butterfields auctions.

I was told that the pilot suits were made by one company and the two piece suits were created by XFX. The cowl and upper body were one piece on the XFX suits to stop the wrinkles, I was told. Same with the bottom half.

I wish I had a head form to display with the piece, but it's cool as is.

Also XFX did not make any of the antennae, because I tried to get a set for my cowl at that time and they told me that some guy from Rick Bakers made the antennae and they were impossible to get.

Dex

Hrm, for some reason I do remember seeing molds for the antennae around the shop, but my memory is known not to be the best out there.

And yeah, the two pieces did help stop the wrinkles, and the bottom half was worn like coveralls, but it still left an UGLY gap where the two met at the groin... at least, my opinion.

It was my first experience running foam latex, but I remember a lot of the experienced guys talking about what a pain in the arse the suits were being.

T

I completely forgot that in the pilot, they show the diner as "the tick tock diner". thats actually a real dinner here in Clifton NJ where I live. everytime i drive by it i always think about the tick lol. I think they let them use the place for the show as an outside shot? or just a picture of the place lool. cracks me up.

I have one of the unfinished cowls from XFX (I did some of the sculpt work on that piece BTW):cool

DoubleT is correct, I too saw the antennae parts in the machine shop.
I think some of the sets if not all of them were made there.
However, I didnt do any of the assembly, so could be mistaken.

Fun show. I thought they did a good job with it.
Hated that it didnt make it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back