The Thing

robquick

Is anyone working on any costumes based on The Thing, either the 82' Kurt Russell version or the new prequel?
I did a quick google search and only found a few on there, but they were pretty cool!

machalloween2.jpg

I'm beginning to put together a Dog Thing - hand puppet with moving tenticles!

But do fancy putting together a MacReady costume!

Bri:)

LOL! I was about to make a post for this myself, as sort of an analysis of MacReady's costume, primarily because my dad has talked me into making a MacCready costume for myself for Halloween (I figured though I'm trying to go for a close enough outfit on a limited budget and limited sources now that I've moved from Orlando).

So far, here's the information I've come across about some of the pieces of the Outfit:

MacReady's jacket is a NYC Style #674 G-1 Jacket made by Schott, NYC.

The Glacier glasses that MacReady wears in some of the scenes in the film are a well popular brand at the time (I can't remember the name for it and the site where I accessed the information is current down). Hard to say of the side guards on the sides of the glasses are black or brown in the film (maybe someone with the Blu-Ray can confirm which).

The hat is a Campaign Hat with the front, back and sides folded up. What brand and model is unknown. However, there is a company that has made a replica of the hat called "The R.J.", but its cost is between $250 and $425 (depending on what material you decide to go with and if you want it appeared to be aged or not). Here is the website for that company and hat.

Still unknown about what type of green flightsuit, the boots, the blue hoodie as well as the grey shirt and white undershirt that MacReady wears right now. But so far, I've only got the boots myself. Will get back to you on the glasses (and if there's any knock-off brands for them available), after I check again later to see if the website where I found out about the glasses is up and running again.

Also, I found out something pretty odd. I noticed that MacReady has another type of shirt that's on with an odd white and brown pattern (it's clear in this picture, as well as when MacReady turns around after the Blair beatdown), but it doesn't show up in any other shot or scene. I don't know if its a goof or what, but it definitely seems odd seeing it.

attachment.php

^Very good catch. I must have watched this film thousands of times...and I can't believe I missed this before!

Don't worry, I've watched the film multiple times ever since I was 5 years old and I didn't even realize it until today, when I was getting screencaps to put on my phone while I shopped around at the flea markets and thrift stores to see if I could find pieces of the outfit for a Halloween costume (though I don't know if there's any plans for Halloween, but I figured the difficulty on this one is somewhat easy since it requires a lot of found pieces).

My guess is the shirt is some sort of Hawaiian one.

I, too, would like to see a Thing from the Howard Hawkes version -- or the comic!

Update: The website where I found out about Mac's glasses. Their Glacier Glasses, Vuarnet Skilynx model 027, made in the early 1980s. The drawback about them is this: They're $200-$300.

However, thanks to another Thing fan, I've found a place that sells knock-offs of the glasses at a more affordable price. Here's the place: Econo Everest Glacier Glasses

I just saw The Thing for the first time a couple of weeks ago. The movie scared the crap outta me, but when I first saw Mac's hat, I was laughing so hard; it looks so out of place in the movie, IMO.

That being said, I would love to do a MacReady costume. Thanks for the info on the campaign hat! :)

I just saw The Thing for the first time a couple of weeks ago. The movie scared the crap outta me, but when I first saw Mac's hat, I was laughing so hard; it looks so out of place in the movie, IMO.

That being said, I would love to do a MacReady costume. Thanks for the info on the campaign hat! :)

No problem. I also included info about Mac's Glacier Glasses, his jacket, and that he wears a flight uniform (a majority of the time, he has the top down and wrapped around his waist) in a couple of the replies up above.

I too am in the process of doing this costume. I was going to try and have it done by this Halloween, but I don't think I'll make it.

There is a chain store, Factory Card Outlet, that is currently selling a pirate hat that when modified can look pretty close to Mac's hat.

I've got most everything else, now I just need to be able to grow a beard!

Just saw this and figured I would chime in yeah they were Vuarnets, they don't make them anymore though.

The flightsuit is just a standered Nomex Flightsuit

Update: The website where I found out about Mac's glasses. Their Glacier Glasses, Vuarnet Skilynx model 027, made in the early 1980s. The drawback about them is this: They're $200-$300.

However, thanks to another Thing fan, I've found a place that sells knock-offs of the glasses at a more affordable price. Here's the place: Econo Everest Glacier Glasses

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back