The Thing - RJ MacReady - Costume Research and Progress Thread (Back at it! 1/9/24)

Just purchased the Norris spider-head that was in the Junkyard to add to the whole costume. This will be fun to have for photoshoots.
1618159318145.png

Been doing a lot of work on the model and print of the flamethrower, so hasn't been a whole lot to show. However, I decided to go ahead and have the revolver MacReady uses (a Colt Trooper MKIII 4") professionally modeled and the results speak for themselves.

Trooper.JPG

GrenadeKing was kind enough to provide the logo work he did for the Hercules label on the dynamite used in the movie. Using 1" SCH 40 PVC, some craft paper and some candle wax, I made some dynamite. I love the way these look.
View attachment 1435273
Oh, man, I want to steal your graphic. This looks great. I'm really looking forward to your whole outfit. With this level of detail it's gonna be fantastic.

Unfortunately, had to return the hat. The crown on it wasn't tall enough (accurate to movie size). I've decided to go with Screencapped Hats for better accuracy. The hat band is going to be near to impossible to accurately replicate so going with "best I can do". A handweaver on Etsy has said she is willing to give it a go. I made the pattern for her today.
icm_fullxfull.337961856_sb1l8gzd8lwo8c8sc400.jpg
Hatband Pattern.jpg

Last edited:
Omg I'm so glad to catch this thread. I've also been working on a MaCready, and had noticed that the hatband was leather with a beaded center. I also hired a bead artist on Etsy to make a few for me until we go the right design. Here's the pic I was working from. Upper right corner is the closeup of the band. I've also included a pic of where I am so far (still a ways to go)

You can buy the band right now on her Etsy store.

Hatband.jpg
IMG_2555.JPG

Finished the rigging for the flamethrower tonight. Because I am working with 3D printed parts and not welded metal, I had to change the design a bit. I tried to do this as discreetly to keep the look as close as possible to the real flamethrower. This resulted in support arms on the frame that will be mostly hidden behind the tanks but will also support their weight and make the whole prop more stable and secure overall, given it's size. Here is an image of the rigging, minus the tanks.

Capture.JPG

Doing a lot of rework and printing on the flamethrower, but managed to snag an ammo belt and holster off EBay. I don't know any way to positively ID either of these pieces, but the holster appears to be a Hunter brand snap-on. The one that MacReady is sporting is to large for the Colt Trooper Mk III so I grabbed the correct Hunter holster (1100-12) off EBay for cheap because it had mold growing on it. I also got lucky and managed to buy a Hunter 138 ammo belt for the same price. A proper alcohol bath for the belt and holster and it's all cleaned up. Going to try and color match the belt and holster closer together and give them both a nice sheen then, print up an appropriate amount of shells to fill the belt.

1626998940545.png
1626998951983.png
1626998888892.png
1626998871006.png

Last edited:
Life caught up to me so it's been a bit since I was able to work on MacReady, but today I finally got a bit of good news.
I have probably spoken to no less than 30 people regarding recreating the woven hatband for the hat and all of them have either said they weren't able to recreate it or tried and it came out nothing like the original.
At the very beginning of my search, a weaver on Etsy said she would be willing to give it a shot and that she would get back to me after she finished some other projects. I hadn't heard from her in a couple of months so I thought she wasn't going to reply, and then out of the blue a couple of weeks ago she got back to me with a sample. I asked her if she would allow me to choose some better colors and... well, here are the results. One more piece to scratch off the list.
1631027204106.jpeg

Whoooo... most of the flamethrower parts are finally printed. I've had to reprint some of these parts multiple times as I tweaked fittings and the model itself so there have been a few iterations of these prints. I've worried about the size of this thing but looking through numerous reference pictures and army manuals, this should be pretty close to the actual size.
Not much to show yet, but I put the frame together today. Still need to clean it up, sand and paint, but couldn't resist hanging the tops of the larger flamethrower tanks where they will mount. Assembling the flamethrower will be much easier now that the frame is assembled because everything else mounts to it.
Quick shot of the frame and tops of tanks with a Coke can for size reference. I can't even imagine wearing the full metal rig in combat uniform in the Pacific theater during WW2.
1631418443298.png

The hatband is complete and on it's way to me. Once it's here, I'll weather it a bit. Top image is the hatband that was made for me, bottom is a reference picture from the original hat.
il_794xN.3457253019_oo28.jpg

THE-THING-1982--JOHN-CARPENTER-S-THETHING-1982-KURT-RUSSELL-HERO-MACREADY-HAT-THETHING-JOE-HARTS-THING-NATION-5.jpg

MorbidCharlie,

Can you please me give the information to the Etsy designer who made the band for you? And any color references you may have on the bead colors? I have the last best west hat and would like to give it this authentic look! Thank you. - Joe

easterling777@hotmail.com

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back