The Thing Flamethrower Build

So my boyfriend decided to go as R.J. MacReady for Spooky Empire as well as Halloween and obviously he needs a flamethrower. I've found build threads to be really helpful in the past so hopefully this will help out someone!!
3e2fe24866c36fe7dd8a729c80413e70.jpg
I'm using this video from Knoptop and this thread to help.
So far we've found two large containers at the dollar store for the main tanks, two plungers to make the tops of the tanks rounded, and a smaller spray bottle for the smaller tank. We also got a cap gun at Five Below, but I forgot to take pictures before I painted it.
tumblr_odpn37qBX81qalpmeo1_540.jpgtumblr_odpn37qBX81qalpmeo2_540.jpg

We also bought 5 feet of 1/2 inch pvc pipe (we might need more), 4 elbow brackets, 3 tees. Basically we're gonna follow the linked thread for that part of the build. I'll post more info when we actually get to that part.

Currently, we have glued together the plungers and containers and have begun to prime everything. I'll post some pictures of it all primed and covered in bondo later.

Next steps are to sand it all and I think I want to do some layers of mod podge over everything.

I'd really appreciate any feedback/help/advice on this build. We are also working on the rest of the costume so reference images and information are greatly appreciated though I think this thread has all the info we really need!

I would question weather or not those two canisters will be big enough to make the main tanks...but I guess that depends on how accurate you want the whole thing to be. Also keep in mind that the thrower Mac used didn't have two handles like the one in the image above.

I got three weeks to build this, his costume, and my costumes so accuracy isn't crazy important ha. They are a little small but in person it's not something that catches your eye. They look close enough. Do you happen to know the correct size of the tanks? I'll probably end up rebuilding this after the con.
Appreciate the tip about the handle!! We totally forgot about that

IMG_2565.JPG
added bondo and sanded!
i added two layers of mod podge and then did a strip of hot glue across the canisters to create the seam
59bf96b448bc7b793fdce9690c66cd89.jpg

after class and work today, we are gonna try to find pieces for his outfit and also paint the canisters. I'm planning on first painting them silver and then green. Gonna try out that mustard trick I'm always seeing for weathering the paint. Wish me luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_2565.JPG
    IMG_2565.JPG
    451.1 KB · Views: 286
I got three weeks to build this, his costume, and my costumes so accuracy isn't crazy important ha. They are a little small but in person it's not something that catches your eye. They look close enough. Do you happen to know the correct size of the tanks? I'll probably end up rebuilding this after the con.
Appreciate the tip about the handle!! We totally forgot about that

O.k., then I'd say you're doing fine. :) Sorry, but I don't know the dimensions for the real tanks. There are pictures out there of soldiers carrying and using the thrower, so you might be able to use those to figure out the scale/size.

O.k., then I'd say you're doing fine. :) Sorry, but I don't know the dimensions for the real tanks. There are pictures out there of soldiers carrying and using the thrower, so you might be able to use those to figure out the scale/size.

i'll give that a shot when i have more time!

b7b8dccf1b5356edd5fa1f5a89d834ea.jpg

it's been a crazy two weeks but i haven't forgotten about this project! i gave everything a base coat of metallic silver paint. it isn't as shiny as i wanted but i'll fix that in version 2
i added tape to the smaller tank to create the band and added hot glue to create weld marks.
i also used my dremel to remove the top part of the spray bottle that makes up the smaller tank and i used craft foam to fill in the bottom of the tank.
4e3114a67dd410ad485f34ed762e4c69.jpg

sent the boyfriend to lowes today to pick up hopefully the last of the supplies

d1eb820d54c5b8d6677c47be1d0ffe00.jpg

figuring out the placement and spacing using the pvc elbows and whatnot. gonna try and cut the pvc tomorrow and then spray it all green and maybe weather it all wednesday. i still need to make the glasses Mac wears and i'm trying to figure out a low budget but passable hat solution. sadly my flight suit didn't fit him (it was close! which is impressive since he is a foot taller than i am) but we did find some clothing that has the right field. con is sunday so we are in super crunch time! expect lots of updates

83c6c43ee3e7a0f676e3451aa791c397.jpg

started working on the frame. pretty happy with it so far but i'm still struggling to figure out how to actually make the curved part at the bottom
a3c935153a9c5fc704f421a9d6196c4b.jpg

used the remaining piece of the spray bottle to make the end the flame comes out of. not super happy with it so if i have time/can find a better solution i'll fix it

today's update!
880348f60b923d82caf2fff7443693c4.jpg

still have to weather the tanks more but pretty happy
6ca7b23f1da177db5fd2262d3ac1244f.jpg
gonna use these glasses from Target for the glasses Mac wears. i'll post more as i add the leather to them
85281e15a804c228c42051054c6d99c8.jpg

we bought this cool looking regulator to add to the tank

still left is to start the end of the flamethrower, do some more weathering, and finish his outfit

This is a good low budget build for the flame thrower. If you ever decide you want to upgrade your flamethrower for later uses at other conventions, there's two sources you can look into. The first is this old flamethrower build video from Indy Mogul's Backyard FX.

The second, which I'm not trying to make as a shameful plug mind you, is my attempt at a replica of the flamethrower prop from The Thing, to which my father helped out in building. It may not be screen accurate, but I did look into figuring out the type of flamethrower that was used for the film.

The third, which I highly recommend is Jake's tutorial on making a flamethrower prop. He actually gets close to getting what how it looks with the film.

Hopefully, these can help if you ever want to improve your build. But I like what you're doing so far with doing it on a low budget and would like to see the end result. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a good low budget build for the flame thrower. If you ever decide you want to upgrade your flamethrower for later uses at other conventions, there's two sources you can look into. The first is this old flamethrower build video from Indy Mogul's Backyard FX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8UQmLrAeho

The second, which I'm not trying to make as a shameful plug mind you, is my attempt at a replica of the flamethrower prop from The Thing, to which my father helped out in building. It may not be screen accurate, but I did look into figuring out the type of flamethrower that was used for the film.

The third, which I highly recommend is Jake's tutorial on making a flamethrower prop. He actually gets close to getting what how it looks with the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUTxKXbrakg

Hopefully, these can help if you ever want to improve your build. But I like what you're doing so far with doing it on a low budget and would like to see the end result. :D

appreciate the help! Spooky Empire got cancelled because of a hurricane so now I have until the end of the month to finish this so I should be able to improve it a bit before Halloween.

appreciate the help! Spooky Empire got cancelled because of a hurricane so now I have until the end of the month to finish this so I should be able to improve it a bit before Halloween.

You're welcome. Unfortunately, my build pics for my prop are missing. But, I am considering on breaking out my flamethrower prop and break down how each part was made. But for now, here's the end result of the prop via YouTube vid:

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back