The Thing - Blood Props

00fil00

Hi guys,

The Thing has always been one of my favourite movies but the iconic alien spider head Norris cast has always been really expensive and IMO not great looking. I've always wanted something from this movie but didn't think there was many notable props in it beside the iconic alien.

Few days ago got a really cool idea for a simple and low cost prop and can't believe I never thought of it before. The blood!

DSC02242.JPG

Simply ordered some 100mm petri dish plates (gonna label them up like Windows, Childs MacReady etc...) and some red coloured Elmer's Glue (PVA glue). Will add a little black paint to the red to make it a more gutteral blood red. Hopefully the glue will make it look shiny permanently.

DSC02243.JPG

Here's the cool bit! Found this miniature called an "air elemental" that looked sufficiently without face or any form. This will be Palmer's blood dish. Will stick it to that clear plastic base I ordered (it is cloudy as it still has it's protective screen on). I will paint the miniature black to get the shadows, then dry brush white to get the detail back. Then I will coat the whole thing in the same red glue.

DSC02244.JPG

DSC02245.JPG

Here's what the final prop set will look like. I will also place a roll of red copper wire nearby to complete the scene.

Hope you like it! Will post back when it's painted up.

Right the glue isn't working as it doesn't flow so it would never be flat, would produce colour variations unless mixing up a massive batch, and it doesn't dry shiny - looks like paint.

I've looked up lots of fake blood recipes but they are all liquid and I need a solid that looks liquid. I've had a think about it and I think a simple alternative is to buy a dark/wine red candle and simply melt it in a pan and pour into the dishes. If it doesn't shine enough i can try some furniture wax and polish it up. Ordered a candle and will post back.

Right the glue isn't working as it doesn't flow so it would never be flat, would produce colour variations unless mixing up a massive batch, and it doesn't dry shiny - looks like paint.

I've looked up lots of fake blood recipes but they are all liquid and I need a solid that looks liquid. I've had a think about it and I think a simple alternative is to buy a dark/wine red candle and simply melt it in a pan and pour into the dishes. If it doesn't shine enough i can try some furniture wax and polish it up. Ordered a candle and will post back.

look up how model makers make water effects for dioramas, you might be able to use some of their techniques.

Finally got around to getting the balls to do the final step - one mistake and it was all over with resin! Tried a few things before resin because I really didn't want to a) buy resin which is expensive and sticky b) have something that even a drip on the outside would ruin it permanently. Tried candles and scroll's sealing wax but they came out matt. Varnishing on top of the wax caused some sort of bubbling in tests.

Here is the set up for the final stage:
IMG_20191026_121634074.jpg

IMG_20191026_121656325.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back