The thin-necked lightsaber appreciation society

MCM

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I wanted to start a general thin-neck saber appreciation thread since I think the design is so cool! The idea is that folks can post pictures and discuss their own replicas, other sabersmith's creations, the screen used sabers, and other non-canon designs. Anything goes as long as it's thin-neck oriented.

To start, here are some pics of my personal collection.
17e9ded4b152c98f29c50de0623a2090.jpg

From left to right we have:
Roman's Obi-Wan hero in the Tattooine configuration (upside down pommel cubes, both transistors have washers, the brass above the windvane is tarnished and not shiny)
Starkiller unibody V2 painted up as an ANH-era Obi-Wan stunt. Roman's empire replica clamp with Wannawanga bubbles and lever.
Starkiller 3 piece V2 with Roman clamp and d ring. I got the card on a whim from some ebay seller that I can't remember.
Spirit of OB1 shared stunt. The clamp is a logoless replica from TCSS, but the logo is covered with tape so it doesn't matter.
Nicksdad ROTJ hero. The neck is painted dirty brass (which I strongly feel is more accurate) as opposed to copper.

89b6cba39cfa55e2b9f9ee050a9e351b.jpg

On top is a Roman's Empire Obi ROTS saber. The TPM Obi (Korbanth) and Qui-Gon (one replicas) get honorable mentions because they have elements of the thin-neck style.

One non-canon design that I absolutely love is the Big Boy by Turkish company Saberkraft. It's a really cool, stylized take on the thin-neck motif
3bfbcfb53c651e81114084c463d6590e.jpg
86758e9f93e7012929698e267b3daf14.jpg

I don't own one, but I saw a vid by Shameem of one of his electronics installs and I thought it was just so neat.

I'm also intrigued by the upcoming Korbanth LS6 design with the Crystal chamber reveal.
7d0e95e70081b5010ba07c990ddc9bab.jpg

The saber has elements of the hero, V2, and shared stunt. I think it could be a cool basis for an idealized hybrid saber. For some reason, even though it's not very accurate to any one particular version, I really want to get one!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

ANH Obi Wan and ROTJ Luke are my favorites. I still have one of Roman's last Obi Wan lightsabers that I will probably have to replace with a more accurate one. It's still really good, but this was from I don't know how many years ago (5?). I think at that time everyone still thought it was made out of a motorcycle grip.

ANH Obi Wan and ROTJ Luke are my favorites. I still have one of Roman's last Obi Wan lightsabers that I will probably have to replace with a more accurate one. It's still really good, but this was from I don't know how many years ago (5?). I think at that time everyone still thought it was made out of a motorcycle grip.
Have any pics of that Obi-Wan? I've got a soft spot for Obi-Wan sabers. I have fond memories of the sink drain/lawn mower gear/motorcycle grip days.

Thinking about that reminds me of the Icons replica. I still really like the color scheme of it. I might have to do an Icons-style Obi saber some day.
2e222c78f337bbea111ac1fb1a84bc15.jpg

That real parts Obi is fantastic! Is the V2 from Starkiller's first run?

I love looking at this photo! I just noticed something about her though... You'd better pull her skirt up, 'cuz her fins are showing!:eek:p:behave:rolleyes:facepalm:lol

Heh.. yep... it's still like that on that ring; I've been too afraid of hammering it back into place for fear of splitting the ring. But that particular ring is no longer part of the display. One with a more accurate 'groove' that I swapped with teecrooz is in its place now :D

Last edited by a moderator:
My first real thin-neck saber. Unibody V2. Are we calling the one next to it a fat-neck or a no-neck design?

View attachment 718991
If I had to categorize the sabers, you'd have thin-necked, flash-based, and then, I dunno, everything else?

Luke ANH and ESB, the Vader OT sabers, and the Yoda visual dictionary saber would be flash-based. By extension, I would consider the skinnyflex, vader ROTS, and prequel Yoda sabers to be flash-based.

The other prequel sabers, plus Kylo Ren's would be the third category. I'd call it "made up crap" but I've become fond of some of the designs, even if unwittingly.

Fat-necked sabers would be the Hasbro fx sabers. Thems some fat necks.

Have any pics of that Obi-Wan? I've got a soft spot for Obi-Wan sabers. I have fond memories of the sink drain/lawn mower gear/motorcycle grip days.

Thinking about that reminds me of the Icons replica. I still really like the color scheme of it. I might have to do an Icons-style Obi saber some day.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170403/2e222c78f337bbea111ac1fb1a84bc15.jpg

That was one of my favorite lightsabers... I sold it for $1,000 a year or so after it came out. Best one I ever got rid of! :lol That was years before MR ever started making licensed stuff.

My Roman's OB1 with a real Armitage Shanks pommel and Spirit_of_OB1 crystal chamber and on the top is Annakin Starkiller's V2 with Roman's Empire clamp and Wannawanga long lever.

2017-04-04 09.02.27.jpg

2017-04-04 09.02.27.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back