The Technicolor iron man build

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by redbridge1, May 1, 2012.

1. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

My first foam build after getting so frustrated at pepakura folding paper that I almost had a mental break down.
    Started on Thursday beered on Saturday so excuse the lack of progress

Still trying to find a less "colorful" foam and cheaper would be also be nice

Heres my work so far what do you guys think?

2. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

Just kidding here we go

helmets being redone it turned out so crap.

3. PIDGE

PIDGE New Member

very nice redbridge.looks really good.lovin the john mcclane lookin out the arc hole..keep us posted on your progress

4. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

Ah christ I knew I should have worn a different shirt!!

Mcclane!! that man just cant stay out of trouble!!

5. PIDGE

PIDGE New Member

he surprises me again ;)

6. JosephFischer

JosephFischer New Member

It looks like you are making some good progress. It looks awesome too. Can't wait to see more.

7. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

Just done the torso and the codpiece as one piece with the abs seperatley where do you guys split the codpiece for easy access?

8. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

FEW PICS!!

9. venator

venator Member

Check out "wandy-foam" on eBay (just google it to find a link), I think Stealth recommended them in another thread.

As for supporting local businesses, I was quoted $127 aud for a 2m x 1m sheet of 6mm Eva... I just about spat out my coffee...

10. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

Oh my christ im paying 25 euro for four 2 foot by 2 foot 12mm sheets thats like 500000 dollars right??
    Thanks for the link man having a good look now. This stuff is like its used for paving bricks of El Dorado

11. venator

venator Member

I paid $20 for four sheets of 12mm Eva that was 60cm x 60cm... but it's too thick for some sections hence I went searching for thinner... I was utterly gobsmacked at the quote.
    a new Zealand company quoted $27 aud for 2.3m x 1.3m but with postage, wandy foam was cheaper

12. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

Was gonna post some photos of the biceps and forearms I done over the last while........Instead im posting a warning to everyon3 hopefully no ond is as stupid as me, do not i mean DO NOT leave any finished foam parts on a radiator over the weekend while you go out punishing your liver. I learned the hard way, I arrived home to find both forearms and biceps unglued warped mess's. This has dampened my evening.

RADIATORS BAD
    FRIDGE GOOD............OR A SAFE DISTANCE FROM THE RADIATOR.

Christ i hope I dont end up on the "enough with the stupid iron man builds allready thread" I just dont think I could handle the pressure..... :darnkids

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  13. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

So I got cracking today and made some progress again re done the whole left arm gonna get the right one tomorrow hopefully once a jet engine doesn't come through the ceiling of my bedroom while im sleeping or something.

Please constructive criticism welcome.

14. sterling archer

sterling archer Active Member

Listen Donnie Darko...:lol,looks good and the shoulder bells look fine also keep it up:thumbsup

15. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

Thanks very much for the encouragement!!

I was wondering if anyone got the Darko nod!!

So stuck on Led Zeppelin IV tonight and got stuck in with a few bottles of bulmers. Both arms done fully, redone the bells in the parts I wasn't happy with, they still need some work ,other than the plating on the biceps im pretty happy them.

And a thumbs up to everyone on the RPF for the hours you guys put in and the help im receiving off everyone!! Thanks guys

16. CaptainVermont

CaptainVermont New Member

Looking great!

17. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

I know right!!! And the suits not looking too shabby either.... :thumbsup
    But seriously thanks

18. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

Sorry bout the lack of updates lately been on a bit of a party binge

Got the neck seal done last night out of a thinner foam. Im happy with the result.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just a pic of the back of the suit ,I left a space on either side where im going to add some pc fans.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  19. faille

faille Active Member

Please Please Please give this thing a good clear coat and call it a day. It would be a shame to cover such beauty with red and gold :)

20. bigbisont

bigbisont Active Member

hell yeah, man. Its like...i can SEE the music... I dig the trippy-ness too.

Looks great though.

21. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

Ive never made anything in my life that was referred to as "such beauty" Thank you very much for the kind words....

Just messing around tonight while working on the legs thought this was worth a post...
    [​IMG]

22. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

its a new muppet! :D

i like it. nuff said!

23. eldonnaty

eldonnaty Active Member

@redbridge1 that is a very colorful piece of art you got there look ice and clean, i my self just started a project quick question where did you find that colorful foam looks nice and crisp??

-nice build by the way looks awesome

24. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

You know its like it's against the establishment man, Its like crunchy man real against the man ,man...Thank for the compliment
    Thank you sir!!!

Thanks brahski I got the foam in a early learning centre its for kids to mess around on!!

Quick question did anyone find the thighs on Robo3687's files a little large? I havent messed around with the scale or anything and these are hanging off me! Any ideas? I look ridiculously eh bottom heavy!!

25. Dannicelook

Dannicelook Active Member

can't wait to see more
    so inspiring!! and how about these colours!!!!
    luv it!

26. tonykch

tonykch Well-Known Member

^THIS.

27. Shakeitdavey

Shakeitdavey Well-Known Member

very colourful! :D

28. Helagak

Helagak Sr Member

I love it!!! It looks like you went to an "iron man junkyard" and tried to rebuild a suit! :)
    Are you going to have to get a salvaged title for that thing to be street legal?? Haha!
    But seriously, great work! It's coming along really nicely!!

29. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

Thank you very much
    No definite plans for the finished colour yet!!
    Thank you
    Haha thanks stealing from the starktech junkyard has its its pro's and con's!! A salvaged title ha I like that idea brah!!!
    Could someone please send me some pics of the knee area on their suit and some clear pictures of the placing of the neck seal,thanks guys im kind of at odds at the moment with where these peices actually go !!! Thanks again update coming soon

30. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

Just a picture to prove ive not gone mad from pepakura rage or anything...

31. Jeepychan09

Jeepychan09 New Member

Id say dont paint it, very unique

32. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

Hi guys I was hoping someone on here that has done the legs on the suit already can post pictures of how far down the thigh piece goes on their body!! Mine seems to go well below my knee!! I need a comparison!! Thanks guys!!

33. Dynofiend

Dynofiend Well-Known Member

Hey man, with the thigh, the best thing to do is align the pivot point with your knee where it naturally bends. This is the circular part on the pep file and corresponds with the circular part on the upward extensions of the lower leg (IE they should overlap).

FYI I just realised what your suit reminds me of! A Volkswagen Harlequin! These were made in Golf and Polo shapes, and were a green or yelow shell with multicoloured panels. Very rare and quite popular in Europe :)

34. akuzihs

akuzihs Member

That beauty, don't paint it!!

35. DarthVespula

DarthVespula Member

Good job so far! Would be awesome to wear at a rave :D

36. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

So I haven't died!!

Just an update on progress hope to have it finished and painted by this Sunday!!
    Thanks for all the kind words and help once again guys!!

Okay folks I need the definite answer for painting this sucker plastidip is more than likely a no no cant seem to get it anywhere in the Dublin area!! So what is the general consensus after the three coats of pva/water mixture then one coat of pva...after this im lost ,what paint should be used what technique how many coats etc?? I've gone through so many thread's with contradicting answers. Any answers with a picture of the result would be great thanks guys!!!

37. flyaway

flyaway Active Member

Have to say I'm partial to the colours as well, very unique! :lol

38. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

Thank you but I definitely want to paint this sucker , anyone want to throw a dog a bone here and help me out?

39. Dynofiend

Dynofiend Well-Known Member

Just use anything thats the right colour. You can use pretty much any paint you like. Just make sure to undercoat first to get an even colour before you apply the top colour coat. Also make sure that the undercoat and top coats are the same kind of paint so that they dont react with each other. To finish off, a layer or two of clear coat will make the suit really shine.

40. jjones

jjones Active Member

ahhh yes multicolor ironman such fond memories..This is one I did last year for halloween

[​IMG]

41. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

i used graffiti paint for 4 euros a can, and i couldnt be more happy with the results.
    only one coat needed for full coverage and nice finish, no clear coat required, and usually about 250 different shades of color
    [​IMG]

42. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

Graffiti paint nice!!

So did you seal it with PVA first or what was your technique.
    Excellent work by the way!!

Jjones I like your suit bro!!