The TE that ALMOST was... BIG photos!

I missed 'em. I hate threads like this where a pic or pics are shown but for a mere moment then spirited away. Just leave the frickin' pic up.

Its great that fans have the opportunity (or maybe not as it so seems) to buy another great looking ANH Stormtrooper helmet. Funny when you go back a few years there was zero choice and now its like a new one comes along every six months.

However lets not go down the “This one is best” line since we all know we’re never going to agree since it’s a subjective discussion.

However this part of the discussion interested meÂ….

Gino, I’d be interested in you explaining a little more about the history of your “1st generation” moulds since your comments seem to be at odds with facts from the moulds maker himself…..

Originally posted by Jumpin Jax+Jan 27 2006, 10:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jumpin Jax @ Jan 27 2006, 10:30 PM)</div>
Dave and Gino made copied skins and then pulled molds from those. Hence, 2nd Gen castings.
[/b]

and

<!--QuoteBegin-GINO
@Jan 28 2006, 03:49 AM
We'll just call it a trade secret. ;)
[snapback]1170154[/snapback]​

Well Gino I don’t think you can call it a “trade secret”. In the past SDS has been slated for being anything other than 100% clear on its proclamations and I think its only fair that all producers be treated the same way.

So the guy who sold you the moulds is seemingly suggesting that the “provenance” over them differs significantly from what you sold the helmets as.

Apologies to sidetrack this but I believe itÂ’s a valid point. If people prefer I can move it to another/new thread

Cheers

Jez

Jez you should know dude, Gino just loves 'the idea' of having something no-one else has. Hence he keeps piping on that his moulds are 'the ones that touched the real suit'.

What's the point in having something if it's stacked away in a cupboard somewhere?

Limited edition stuff is special...yes. But great art only functions when it's being enjoyed by great people.

Keeping it stashed away is an empty and rather selfish act that suggests to me that's the way he gets his kicks.

Steve

Let's give credit where credit is due on this "TE that ALMOST was" helmet.
Had it not been for "mverta" who paid to have the helmet scanned at Gentle Giant in the first place, this "show off" thread would not exist.
I hate it when the correct people don't get given the credit they deserve.

Chris

Its a fantastic looking display piece. However, i can just about put up with the fact that the helmets i own are made from the wrong type of plastic, so a one piece fiberglass troopr helmet would not be for me.

It would be really nice if TE cut one up into sections. Face cap/back and ears. Reworked/extended the face section back (where the ears were), reworked/extended the cap forwards (also were the ears were), removed the brow and thinned all the parts down, so it could then be assembled like an original.

I think the brow trim needs to be a separate rubber part at the very least.

Keith.

Originally posted by Stormtrooper@Jan 27 2006, 07:49 PM
- or wait a couple of weeks until TE comes out of retirement... again.  :rolleyes

Cheers,
John
[snapback]1170020[/snapback]​

:lol.......hit the nail on the head with a big 'ole 20oz. serrated head framing hammer. :thumbsup

Steve

Yeah. Great display piece/bust/whatever you want to call it; not, strictly speaking, 100% accurate.

I mean, no disrespect to TE for his filling and sanding abilities, but while it is a nice representation of the helmet it was scanned from, I don't see how this can be touted as the most accurate helmet available when the process used to manufacture it is vastly dissimilar to how the originals were made.

Again, because positive comments don't seem to sink in when posted amongst negative ones:

It's a fantastic looking piece and if they were made available I'd certainly want one.

But I think a better approach to all this would have been to post pictures and let people form their own opinions on accuracy rather than post pictures and boastful claims only to take your ball and go home when people don't just chime in with mindless accolades.

Quick question: How were the mic tip recesses handled for scanning? I only ask as I doubt the mic tips were removed so did those areas have to be interpolated?

Cheers.
TJ

Originally posted by Jumpin Jax@Jan 27 2006, 09:59 PM
As a buddy of TE I wanted to show off what his abilities are. Sadly, some ruined it for all. Removed due to too many smart alec comments and people ripping into the man. You all making snide remarks dont deserve such a fine automobile.

Just kidding. Removed anyway.

JJ
[snapback]1169875[/snapback]​

What is TRULY sad is the attitude of "if you won't lavish blind praise and adoration, I will take my toys and go home." It is sad that there is no room for constructive criticism or even correction of misleading statements here. I guess instead we should all just keep our mouths shut and allow ingorance to reign.

Hi Guys i feel i need to let you in on some aspects of this helmet the face part of
the helmet came from me which i found last year here in the UK i did a show off thread over on the RPB and was contacted by Matt saying he would like to have this part for his collection i agreed to send him the face in exchange for a complete
TE helmet. well to cut a long story short i have had neither my helmet or the face back off matt and the emails i have had from him have been short and evasive
saying in one email its coming along well and he had made a pull of it then in another that the plastic he had from a company had moisture in it and was unusable so he would send it back to me since Christmas he has told me that he will try and make me a helmet but would need to get hold of some plastic to do it
then yesterday this http://www.sandtrooper.net/forum/viewtopic...=869&highlight=

here are some pictures of the stormtrooper helmet face i sent him in may 05

3.gif

2.gif

4.gif

Jeff
TK6002 UKG

Hi Jeff. I am not sure I understand exactly what you are saying. Could you please clarify it for me? My understanding was that gentle giant did a realscan of the Dave M (previously the TE2) helmet for their line of mini busts and that Matt eventually got a foam master from them. It sounds as if you are saying the faceplate for the helmet that was being shown off in this thread was provided by you. Is that what you are saying? Also, I would LOVE to know where the faceplate you sent Matt came from. That is very cool and the first time I have seen it or heard about it.

I am sure Matt would not have sold it with his other molds, especially if he hadn't paid you for it yet.

So you're saying the TE2 faceplate is the one you sent him? This is supposedly a scan of the "set for stun" helmet. What is it that you have (had?) there?

Hi i did not see the pictures in this thread as they had been pulled before i seen it here is the link to the helmet i am referring to http://www.sandtrooper.net/forum/viewtopic...=870&highlight=
i have pasted the original picture over his and the shape is the same including
the right hand side tube not matching up with the back of the helmet it being
Narrower than the left side which is in proportion to the back unlike the right side
Jeff
TK6002

Jeff,

I remember your original post on the Replica Prop Board here in the UK, it might be worth you linking to it again as I had a quick search but coudnt find it. I do remember TE expressing an interest in what you had.

I must admit I always thought that this new helmet from TE was from the Gentle Giant scan of Dave M's helmet (prev owned by TE) but you are now saying the face was from the mould you showed on the RPB a year or so ago?

It'll be interesting to see whether it is or isnt, but either way it sounds like you've been screwed by the guy. Amazing when all you were due to receive was a SINGLE REPLICA HELMET :(

So ironic how TE always sees himself as the "victim".

Cheers

Jez

Originally posted by BingoBongo275@Jan 28 2006, 02:52 PM
Jeff,

I remember your original post on the Replica Prop Board here in the UK, it might be worth you linking to it again as I had a quick search but coudnt find it.
[snapback]1170476[/snapback]​
Yes, please link to this if you can. Not to be argumentative, but what purpose would there be to copy your faceplate for this helmet, if he already had access to a complete, assembled helmet? The whole thing seems odd.

Originally posted by DL 44 Blaster+Jan 28 2006, 03:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DL 44 Blaster @ Jan 28 2006, 03:18 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Stormtrooper
@Jan 27 2006, 07:49 PM
- or wait a couple of weeks until TE comes out of retirement... again.  :rolleyes

Cheers,
John
[snapback]1170020[/snapback]​

:lol.......hit the nail on the head with a big 'ole 20oz. serrated head framing hammer. :thumbsup

Steve
[snapback]1170357[/snapback]​
[/b]
Nope, not this time. All of the molds are in boxes now, and are getting shipped off Monday. Tuesday, he's gone to Oregon.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back