The TE that ALMOST was... BIG photos!

Brak's....good eye.....when posted next to the original scan, one can definitely see the difference in the vocoder detail. While the top part looks sharper on the original, the bottom ridge depth look more pronounced on TE's mock up, like you said....great analysis.

Nevertheless, a nice lid tho....

Thanks JevVader. I do want to stress that I am in no way trying to say this helmet is worthless or not amazing. I do love it and it would be a wonderful bust-type display piece.

Originally posted by Jumpin Jax@Jan 28 2006, 02:53 AM
But, the orignal statement stays: best helmet EVER. ANd simply cannot find a more accurate one at all. Not a Gino and especially not an AA.

I would say best bust ever, but that is just my opinion like "best helmet" is yours.

Originally posted by Brak's Buddy+Jan 27 2006, 06:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brak's Buddy @ Jan 27 2006, 06:56 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Jumpin Jax
@Jan 28 2006, 02:53 AM
But, the orignal statement stays: best helmet EVER. ANd simply cannot find a more accurate one at all. Not a Gino and especially not an AA.

I would say best bust ever, but that is just my opinion like "best helmet" is yours.
[snapback]1170114[/snapback]​
[/b]

Bust because of the stand on the bottom? This thing is hallow. The stand is to allow for the bottom to be made perfectly and not done in a cleaned fashion. Cut it off and it is wearable.

HAH.

JJ

Originally posted by Jumpin Jax+Jan 28 2006, 03:12 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jumpin Jax @ Jan 28 2006, 03:12 AM)</div>
Originally posted by Brak's Buddy@Jan 27 2006, 06:56 PM
@Jan 28 2006, 02:53 AM

[snapback]1170114[/snapback]​

Bust because of the stand on the bottom? This thing is hallow. The stand is to allow for the bottom to be made perfectly and not done in a cleaned fashion. Cut it off and it is wearable.

HAH.

JJ
[snapback]1170127[/snapback]​
[/b]

No. It has nothing to do with the stand.

I say "bust" because of the one part construction (unlike the original), the material it is being made of (unlike the original) and the fact that all the details (brow, earscrews, etc) (unlike the original) area cast in. Again, this is MY OPINION, but this would look great as a full sized bust, but not as an accurate representation of an actual HELMET, even though it is fully capable of being worn.

Originally posted by Jumpin Jax@Jan 27 2006, 09:53 PM
I did not know about the things that had to be correct due to the bit cutting error. My mistake.. But, the orignal statement stays: best helmet EVER. ANd simply cannot find a more accurate one at all. Not a Gino and especially not an AA.

This is NOT a piece of foam to the naysayers.. This is a fiberglass helmet. This is not the foam master that has been prettied and cleaned. This is a final. Whether this is the final final, some people are hopeful and some are not. I dont see them happening at all really.

TE coming out of retirement? Will not happen. He is done and to the smart alec comments, keep them to yourself please. We are not discussing his retirement Stormtrooper. Thanks. His marriage is over and there is no want. He is a broken man spiritually and mentally right now.

I will pass on the kind words to him guys. I am sure he will be happy to hear from the people that like it.

JJ
[snapback]1170112[/snapback]​

No one here said what you posted was foam. Brak's simply said its origin was from a cleaned up foam master.

Also, I don't see any smart alec comments either. I see an honest, factual analysis of the bust backed up with photographic evidence and with Matt's own word. You can't make such absolute claims, when there is solid evidence to refute them, and not expect people to question your statements.

I don't understand how any helmet with a fiberglass brow trim can be said to be the closest to an original helmet. I can believe that it is a fairly accurate bust of Dave M's helmet.

I would rather have a helmet that was cast from the inside of an original, like Matt's or even Gino's, which is now conviniently being called a second generation casting.

Originally posted by tylerdurden_soap_maker+Jan 27 2006, 07:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tylerdurden_soap_maker @ Jan 27 2006, 07:16 PM)</div>
@Jan 27 2006, 09:53 PM
I did not know about the things that had to be correct due to the bit cutting error. My mistake.. But, the orignal statement stays: best helmet EVER. ANd simply cannot find a more accurate one at all. Not a Gino and especially not an AA.

This is NOT a piece of foam to the naysayers.. This is a fiberglass helmet. This is not the foam master that has been prettied and cleaned. This is a final. Whether this is the final final, some people are hopeful and some are not. I dont see them happening at all really.

TE coming out of retirement? Will not happen. He is done and to the smart alec comments, keep them to yourself please. We are not discussing his retirement Stormtrooper. Thanks. His marriage is over and there is no want. He is a broken man spiritually and mentally right now.

I will pass on the kind words to him guys. I am sure he will be happy to hear from the people that like it.

JJ
[snapback]1170112[/snapback]​

No one here said what you posted was foam. Brak's simply said its origin was from a cleaned up foam master.

Also, I don't see any smart alec comments either. I see an honest, factual analysis of the bust backed up with photographic evidence and with Matt's own word. You can't make such absolute claims, when there is solid evidence to refute them, and not expect people to question your statements.

I don't understand how any helmet with a fiberglass brow trim can be said to be the closest to an original helmet. I can believe that it is a fairly accurate bust of Dave M's helmet.

I would rather have a helmet that was cast from the inside of an original, like Matt's or even Gino's, which is now conviniently being called a second generation casting.
[snapback]1170131[/snapback]​
[/b]

The comment was made to Stormtrooper and not you all.

Well since no one can get the helmets made correctly, IMHO thats where it comes from. And no, straight from TE's mouth: the Gino/CRProps helmets did NOT come from molds that touched the inside of the real helmet. Dave and Gino made copied skins and then pulled molds from those. Hence, 2nd Gen castings.

TE is the ONLY one that molded a real helmet. No one else has. PERIOD.

So lets move on shall we? Dont like it? Fine. Dont have to. Speaking of solid eveidence, why attack TE or Me for making a small mistake? TE correctly said it, and I corrected myself for not knowing. All you AA supporters should be running for the hills then. The evidence is there and you are all complaining about ONE small area that had to be done due to a bit error? Sheesh.. come on.

TE commented as to the brow and said that if the brow was removed then the overall look would change, and this is true. Look at the brow on the MR helmet. Totally throws the look off and I agree. Well, aside from that helmet being totally off anyway. I support the decision to leave the brow molded in so the original look of that is kept.

And this was done before Dave M got it, so it is a TE2 helmet. Nice you guys want to crap all over the guy that brought you movie accurate items when no one else did by changing the names of the helmets. Pay homage and respect why dont you? Poor from in my eyes.

Anyway, said my peace. Just enjoy the images.

JJ

Originally posted by Jumpin Jax@Jan 27 2006, 10:30 PM
And this was done before Dave M got it, so it is a TE2 helmet.

Or should we call it the Dave M helmet because he currently owns it? Or should we call it the Gentle Giant helmet because they scanned it. Or should we call it the AA, Andrew Ainsworth helmet, because he originally built it? Or should we call it the Lucasfilm helmet because they originally designed it?

We are just continuing on the tradition TE himself started by naming the helmet after its current owner. TE never referred to the helmet as the "Guy-who-owned-it-before" TE helmet. We should probably be thanking that individual for selling his helmet to TE, however, TE has never disclosed that individual's name thus preventing him from receiving his due genuflection and kiss on the hand.

Originally posted by tylerdurden_soap_maker+Jan 27 2006, 07:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tylerdurden_soap_maker @ Jan 27 2006, 07:42 PM)</div>
@Jan 27 2006, 10:30 PM
And this was done before Dave M got it, so it is a TE2 helmet.

Or should we call it the Dave M helmet because he currently owns it? Or should we call it the Gentle Giant helmet because they scanned it. Or should we call it the AA, Andrew Ainsworth helmet, because he originally built it? Or should we call it the Lucasfilm helmet because they originally designed it?

We are just continuing on the tradition TE himself started by naming the helmet after its current owner. TE never referred to the helmet as the "Guy-who-owned-it-before" TE helmet. We should probably be thanking that individual for selling his helmet to TE, however, TE has never disclosed that individual's name thus preventing him from receiving his due genuflection and kiss on the hand.
[snapback]1170147[/snapback]​
[/b]

Nice try. the seller did not want to be known. TE even stated this the day he originally posted the photos of the helmet. You must have missed it. Sorry you did. So the smart alec response can end thank you.

Oh please Gino, enlighten us. :rolleyes

JJ

Originally posted by Gytheran@Jan 27 2006, 10:55 PM
JJ, what is the point of this thread?
[snapback]1170157[/snapback]​

Simple. To give the guy who has "left" the RPF a dozen times, all dramatically, a "face" on here even though he's "done" with it all.

And yes, nice bust, but it sure isn't a helmet and by no stretch is it an "accurate" helmet.

My opinion of course.

Originally posted by Jumpin Jax+Jan 28 2006, 03:30 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jumpin Jax @ Jan 28 2006, 03:30 AM)</div>
TE is the ONLY one that molded a real helmet. No one else has. PERIOD.
[/b]

You seem to be making arguments for things that no one is arguing. I don't think anyone is arguing that TE is the only person to date to have been brave enough to mold a real helmet.

Originally posted by Jumpin Jax@Jan 28 2006, 03:30 AM
So lets move on shall we? Dont like it? Fine. Dont have to.

Again, you seem to be heavily on the defensive when you are not being attacked. This is not a seige on your or Matt's credibility. My initial post was simply a correction to your incorrect statements. I would hope people would do the same for me if I posed an opinion as fact which they knew to be wrong. The question is, do you carea bout your ego or about being right? Me? I want to be right, even if someone has to correct me for me to be so.

Speaking of solid eveidence, why attack TE or Me for making a small mistake? TE correctly said it, and I corrected myself for not knowing.

Again, my post was not an attack, but a correction. An attack, would be calling you names and taking petty stabs at you personally.

TE commented as to the brow and said that if the brow was removed then the overall look would change, and this is true. Look at the brow on the MR helmet. Totally throws the look off and I agree. Well, aside from that helmet being totally off anyway. I support the decision to leave the brow molded in so the original look of that is kept.

That is all good and well and I too agree that removing the brow trim may have changed the overall look of the helmet, but trying to say this helmet is 100% original when you have a molded on brow is a bit silly. I think anyone on this board would laugh MR to scorn if they tried to say that their one piece, molded-in-brow, fiberglass trooper was even REMOTELY accurate.

@Jan 28 2006, 03:30 AM
Nice you guys want to crap all over the guy that brought you movie accurate items when no one else did by changing the names of the helmets. Pay homage and respect why dont you? Poor from in my eyes.

Again, another incorrect assumption on your part. I am in no way crapping on Matt. I applaud his efforts. In many ways he is the grandfather of "screen accurate" replica trooper armor. As tyler pointed out, the change in the name has come along with the change of ownership. We are not calling the FG helmet you posted the Dave M helmet, we are saying it CAME from the Dave M helmet. Some seem to think we should be forever on our knees grovelling before Matt, thanking him for his contributions. Well, I DO thank him for his crotributions, which have been substantial, but I also recognize that the helmets he used to own have passed to new hands and I don't see any point in trying to hide that fact as so many apparently do. It is no real secret who the owner is, so playing cloak and dagger at this point is simply silly. Calling the helmets by the new owner's names, as Matt called them by HIS name while they were in his possesion is not taking away any credit from Matt. To imply we still should call them TE helmets is to live in the past and maybe that is what some want to do... always relive past glories. Others want to forge ahead to new things.

All of that said, It does look beautiful. I would buy one of these long before I would buy the Master Replicas helmet. If this was made in fiberglass with a nice paint job, chin strap, correct foam and lenses, and placed in a nice display case with a plaque I would definately find the money to buy it.

100% perfect maybe not, but is sure is damn close.

-CWR

Originally posted by Lord Abaddon+Jan 27 2006, 08:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lord Abaddon @ Jan 27 2006, 08:10 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Gytheran
@Jan 27 2006, 10:55 PM
JJ, what is the point of this thread?
[snapback]1170157[/snapback]​

Simple. To give the guy who has "left" the RPF a dozen times, all dramatically, a "face" on here even though he's "done" with it all.

And yes, nice bust, but it sure isn't a helmet and by no stretch is it an "accurate" helmet.

My opinion of course.
[snapback]1170167[/snapback]​
[/b]

Unless AA made it and you got a discount on it.

My opinion of course

JJ thanks for posting the pics. Glad I got to see them. I just wish you wouldn't go back and erase stuff.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back