The Story So Far

Mrmonster1

Hi All

I just wanted to introduce myself and show what had had done so far. My name is Chris and I'm from Dublin. I'm completely new to this whole costume building thing, in fact the most exciting thing I've prob made to date is a Ikea Wardrobe Anyway below are a few pics of what I've made so far (forgive the quality, used my iphone to take them) and I'd love some feedback on what you think. Not going for any exact replica yet, hopefully will move towards that at a later stage so just doing my own design based on pics and snap shots i've seen and also on what I know my limits are,

Anyway, hope you enjoy pics as much as i enjoyed building the pieces so far, and i'll update the thread as I finish different pieces, have just ordered a Mr I suit of ebay so hopefully will give that a shot soon.

Left shoulder Bell
photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

photo_4.jpg

photo.jpg

Chest Armour (my Own design, Going for a gladiator style, and am currently making chain mail (very slowly I might add) for right side of chest/ shoulder)

8__2_.jpg

Right Shoulder Bell - Bigger than left as my backpack and cannon will be coming over my left shoulder)

6__3_.jpg

6__4_.jpg

7.jpg

Upper Bicep Armour ( not finished yet, only had 1st coat of paint)

6__2_.jpg

6.jpg

Plasma Cannon
8.jpg

8__3_.jpg

8__4_.jpg

8__5_.jpg

Bells and cannon together so you can see proportions
photo_5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Niiiiiiiice. I really like the texture you're putting into these pieces. They have a really cool battered-metal look to them.

What are you making these out of?

Niiiiiiiice. I really like the texture you're putting into these pieces. They have a really cool battered-metal look to them.

What are you making these out of?

thanks, The armour pieces are made from a foam fitness mat I picked up and I used latex and sand on the chest piece to get the texture and the bells have very thin layer of plaster bandages on them to give them there look, wasn't sure it was gonna work when I started but luckily all well so far.

Thanks for the comments everyone. At least I know I'm on the right track with what I'm doing and I can move forward with a smile on my face

Here is a update of the story so far!

Well Guys I've been working hard over the last few weeks on the chain mail to finish my upper body armour, took a while as made thby hand from a kit i bought online(very slow process i can tell you) and I have also finished my backpack, see pics below. I have hollowed out the centre of this and mounted a speaker inside which i'll run sounds from a mp3 player, also it'll house the batterypack for the motor that makes my plasma cannon swivel.
I have atually finished shin armour and thighs too but not taken any pics yet. Anyway as normal let me know what you think please. Also i'm struggling with connecting the backpack to the back armour. have tried earth magnets and velcro but no luck. any ideas?

upper_body1.jpg

chainmail.jpg

upper_body2.jpg

upper_body3.jpg

bp1.jpg

bp2.jpg

butt_plate.jpg

groin_flap.jpg

Brother, love the design so far! The Gladiator theme is definitely coming through. Really like the chainmail; not too much, just enough. Can't wait to see what you have in store for the bio. Keep up the great work!

This is looking completely awesome. I love the gladiator theme you're putting into it. It has a good medieval look, but it's still Predator-like.

As far as attaching the backpack to the back armor goes, you might want to put it together with screws and other hardware. You might need to add some hardened mount points to the armor and the backpack, depending on how they're constructed. One way I've done it is by using nylon strapping and screwing it into the backside of whatever I'm mounting, then screwing it into the other piece. I don't think industrial Velcro or magnets are working for you in this situation because the pack is so bulky.

Brother, love the design so far! The Gladiator theme is definitely coming through. Really like the chainmail; not too much, just enough. Can't wait to see what you have in store for the bio. Keep up the great work!

Thanks, yeah was thinking about the bio myself, have some ideas but think i'll have to commision someone to actually make it, but a russell crowe " gladiator" style bio is what i have in mind, fingers crossed it'll work out

sbh_gladiator1_m.jpg

wow awesome jobs on the shoulder bells and the backpack , what materials do you use to make these?

Thanks man :) , there all actually just made from different types of foam. bells from a fitness mat and the the backpack is made mainly a foam called oasis. foam, my other half is a florist and she uses it in flower displays, seems to be working well for me though. I then coated everything a thin layer of plaster bandages to give in a rigid and battered finish

This is looking completely awesome. I love the gladiator theme you're putting into it. It has a good medieval look, but it's still Predator-like.

As far as attaching the backpack to the back armor goes, you might want to put it together with screws and other hardware. You might need to add some hardened mount points to the armor and the backpack, depending on how they're constructed. One way I've done it is by using nylon strapping and screwing it into the backside of whatever I'm mounting, then screwing it into the other piece. I don't think industrial Velcro or magnets are working for you in this situation because the pack is so bulky.

Thanks mate and Thanks for the tip, was thinking about straps, and mounting it like a real backpack but i think the screwing it on using straps will work much better, that way i won't have to worry about it falling off eiither when i'm wearing it, its not heavy but the velcro and magnets just pull apart when i move, thanks again

Here is a update of the story so far!

Well Guys I've been working hard over the last few weeks on the chain mail to finish my upper body armour, took a while as made thby hand from a kit i bought online(very slow process i can tell you) and I have also finished my backpack, see pics below. I have hollowed out the centre of this and mounted a speaker inside which i'll run sounds from a mp3 player, also it'll house the batterypack for the motor that makes my plasma cannon swivel.
I have atually finished shin armour and thighs too but not taken any pics yet. Anyway as normal let me know what you think please. Also i'm struggling with connecting the backpack to the back armour. have tried earth magnets and velcro but no luck. any ideas?

As someone who once made an entire mail shirt (over 35,000 links) I can sympathize, and admire your perserverance.

I like the "gladiator" look, and all your pieces are very nicely done.

I am always amazed by the creativity and resourcefulness shown by our scratch-builders. We should ALL be working for Hollywood. :)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back