The Star Trek question thread

I think The Immunity Syndrome is pretty good Trek TOS stuff.

Encountering something huge and unknown invading the galaxy, the realization that it could take
over the galaxy and things would flip where we were invading it. McCoy and Spock basically fighting over who is
going to go out and die trying to learn more and Kirk tortured to decide bearing the weight of command.
The Enterprise is definitely boldy going.
Awesome score.

"Shut up, Spock! We're rescuing you!"
"Why, thank you ... Captain McCoy."

I think The Immunity Syndrome is pretty good Trek TOS stuff.

Encountering something huge and unknown invading the galaxy, the realization that it could take
over the galaxy and things would flip where we were invading it. McCoy and Spock basically fighting over who is
going to go out and die trying to learn more and Kirk tortured to decide bearing the weight of command.
The Enterprise is definitely boldy going.
Awesome score.

"Shut up, Spock! We're rescuing you!"
"Why, thank you ... Captain McCoy."

I love watching Kirk wrestle with life and death decisions regarding his crew. Shatner gets lampooned a lot for over-the-top acting as Kirk...which he did do, at times...but he really was an excellent actor in that series.

The Wook

I love watching Kirk wrestle with life and death decisions regarding his crew. Shatner gets lampooned a lot for over-the-top acting as Kirk...which he did do, at times...but he really was an excellent actor in that series.

The Wook

Shatner was given some pretty crazy stuff to portray that the other leads later never had to deal with.
Being a horsey for instance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the other actors and actresses were spared such ignominies. lol

So do you agree, that he was a very good actor in the show? I think he was excellent.

The Wook

The perfect fit. Shatner's Kirk is larger than life right in the sweet spot, like some kind of heroic space age Odysseus, Kirk is on an epic
journey and Shatner delivered. How sad it was we were denied the final two years of the journey by fools who also starved the budgets
in the end. I think some people glom on to some of the more outrageous scenes and a few comedians do impressions and it sort of snowballs.

He made me believe in the character. Is that not what any actor wants?

The perfect fit. Shatner's Kirk is larger than life right in the sweet spot, like some kind of heroic space age Odysseus, Kirk is on an epic
journey and Shatner delivered. How sad it was we were denied the final two years of the journey by fools who also starved the budgets
in the end. I think some people glom on to some of the more outrageous scenes and a few comedians do impressions and it sort of snowballs.

He made me believe in the character. Is that not what any actor wants?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eXB1Yj05Fw

Love that scene. And yes, very sad. I'm not sure if the writing would've held up over another 40 odd episodes, but even if there was a post-season 3 drop-off, like so many other series experience, I still wish we had them, as there, no doubt, would've been some gems in the mix. And even though a lot fans rank the series final episode, Turnabout Intruder, as the worst of them all, I love that episode, and think that the writing was strong right up to the series' end. Just think! Forty more episodes! Man, how I wish.

The Wook

Shatner was given some pretty crazy stuff to portray that the other leads later never had to deal with.
Being a horsey for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sBWjWvptpU

Sweet *****...

Every time I see that scene...

The horror....the horror....

Yes, the Shatner was the perfect Kirk, but, the older I get, the more I lean towards DeForest Kelley's "Bones" McCoy as my favorite TOS character.

That may have been Justman's edict, but it was partially after the fact, and largely ignored besides.
What he wanted might be one thing, but what ended up on screen wins canon. There are more onscreen examples supporting different insignia than there are the alternative.

Check "Court Marshall" the random starfleet officers in that episode ALL have the delta.

Watching First Contact. They always refer to Zefrom (sp?) Cochran as the guy who invented warp drive. Yet all these other civilizations already had it. Can he really be considered the guy who invented it? Isn't he just the guy who "discovered" it for Earth?

Watching First Contact. They always refer to Zefrom (sp?) Cochran as the guy who invented warp drive. Yet all these other civilizations already had it. Can he really be considered the guy who invented it? Isn't he just the guy who "discovered" it for Earth?

It was invented on Earth without exposure to it from any other civilizations. I'd say it's fair to say Zefram invented it even if he wasn't the first to invent it in the galaxy. I guess it's sort of a matter of perspective!

I guess that makes sense, as you say from a certain perspective. But say I had never seen or even heard of airplanes and I "invented" one. Could I still be called "the inventor of airplanes?"

I guess the rest of the galaxy forgot to patent warp drive!:lol

I'm sure everyone's warp drive works exactly the same. Heck maybe they don't call it a warp drive?

What I have always wondered is how they pay for things on DS9. Starfleet doesn't pay it's members, so how do they get gold pressed latinum or other money? Someone said that Starfleet can pay officers that are posted on non Federation planets. Is that it or is it something else?

It was invented on Earth without exposure to it from any other civilizations. I'd say it's fair to say Zefram invented it even if he wasn't the first to invent it in the galaxy. I guess it's sort of a matter of perspective!

Or, in the words of a certain HEMA themed YouTuber, it's a matter of context.

You're going to have to help me with that one, HEMA as in historical European martial arts? I'm always up for interesting YouTube channels!

Yup, Historical European Martial Arts. The YouTuber I was referring to is Matt Easton of the ScholaGladiatoria channel. He's really good and quite entertaining as well as very knowledgeable, he's been doing HEMA for years and actually runs his own HEMA school in England.

Sweet *****...

Every time I see that scene...

The horror....the horror....

Yes, the Shatner was the perfect Kirk, but, the older I get, the more I lean towards DeForest Kelley's "Bones" McCoy as my favorite TOS character.
Shatner is the Jeremy Clarkson of the team.
Spock is the Richard Hammond.
McCoy is the James May.

I've grown to appreciate that James May is the most interesting of the three.

What I have always wondered is how they pay for things on DS9. Starfleet doesn't pay it's members, so how do they get gold pressed latinum or other money? Someone said that Starfleet can pay officers that are posted on non Federation planets. Is that it or is it something else?

I think they do get paid with credits, not physical money. I remember Dax mentioning or saying something about putting things on her account and Quark got Odo to sign for payment for the baby changling in The Begotten.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back