The Star Trek: Discovery Phaser Project

DaveG

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm know I'm a little late to this party, but only just started watching Star Trek: Discovery recently. I particularly like the Phasers, a mashup of design influences from the Pilot, the Original Series, and the Movies. I've started 3D modeling it, with the intent of 3D printing, molding and casting parts. Here are a few screen shots of the work to date. There are still details and refinements needed.

It is what I would call "screen accurate-ish". There are a few details that I am "plussing" or enhancing that might not be 100% screen accurate, but will make the prop look better in person. One of these is the Star Fleet logo embossed in the top of the targeting hood. The logo on the prop is a bit crude, I've modeled a logo much closer to the shape of the actual badges in the series.

Disco Phaser WIP 1.JPG

Disco Phaser WIP 2.JPG

Disco Phaser WIP 3.JPG

Disco Phaser WIP 4.JPG

Very nice. Probably my favorite ‘thing’ from Discover. I have been telling myself I was going to do one mysel,but wrangling one from polygons to print is too much after a a day or week of modeling. Your model looks like the real deal to me. More please.

I love this phaser design, how it takes on the features of all the cool star trek phaser designs rolled up into one.

Last edited:
I tend to go Static since I make props mainly for display, not Cosplay, but I might make the shells so electronics could be added if I change my mind. I will make the turret barrel able to rotate and the targeting screen able to pop up.

I have to ask, where are getting your reference? Are the some nice drawings out there or are you going off screens and the ‘net?

There are no drawings out there, at least not that I've found. I've worked all off of photo reference. I don't look at the models or printed kits others have done. Working off of photo reference is always an "interpretation" of the original. So that's why I call my model "screen accurate-ish". Which is fine by me! Started 3D printing this weekend!

Here is a test printing of the 9 parts that make up the barrel assembly. The front turret and sleeve rotate and click into indexed positions using magnets. I'm going to make a few modifications, then print cleaner patterns for use in molding and casting the final parts.

IMG_7352.jpg

IMG_7356.jpg

IMG_7358.jpg

IMG_7360.jpg

Wow! Well done! Yeah, discovery's take on the OT stuff is my favorite version. Their enterprise bridge and uniforms are cool.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back