The Standard Book of Spells Full Reproduction: artwork.

VanillaEssence

Hello RPF, long time no see. Some of you may remember talk of a replica The Standard Book of Spells Grade 1 before the topic was essentially closed by me (If you contributed to the early stages of this project please let me know so you get proper credit, I have no way of knowing who was involved :confused). Since that time we (A friend, TK_2126MD and I)have a draft almost entirely completed, except for some of the spell instructions. To continue, however, we require artists to create images to go with the text so we have something truly awesome to display. Please note, there is no rush and you can submit as much or as little as you wish in whatever timeframe suits you, we've been slowly working on this project for 9 months, so we are at a very relaxed pace.

A special thanks to Decat for her original text, it was the starting point that made this project possible.

If you wish to contribute, please send me a message or leave a comment down below, I will also continue to update this post with more specific information about the artwork.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A segment from The Standard Book of Spells Grade 1 1st Draft (This is now out of date, but it will give you an idea.)

An Introduction to Magic

The ability to perform magic is an inherited trait, normally found in the children of magical couples and occasionally in those of Muggles. The ability to wield or channel magic, found in witches and wizards is dominant, while it is not in Muggles and Squibs. Squibs are the offspring of magical parents that cannot manipulate magic. A witch or wizard born to Muggle parents is known as Muggle-born, this occurs when a Muggle family is descended from a Squib. The ability to control magic resurfaces many generations later. Muggle-borns are far more common than Squibs, but this may be a feature of the disparate sizes of the Muggle and wizarding populations. Individuals have been known to have magical abilities when coming from entirely non-magical backgrounds though this has not been studied thoroughly.
Using Magic
The ability to perform or control magic almost always reveals itself by the age of 11. There are some individuals who remain mundane until quite late in life when - in quite desperate circumstances - they suddenly reveal their magical capacity. However, such late-bloomers are rare, possibly more so than squibs.
Once the ability to manipulate magic manifests itself, so starts the journey to study the ways of Magic and its different disciplines. For a person's ability to perform magic to be useful, a great amount of study and training is required to acquire the correct mastery of the discipline. In cases were Muggle-borns have not been identified or know of there gift, it will still manifest itself subconsciously in moments of strong apprehension, fear or anger.
Most magic, especially initial magic is done with the use of tools that focus magical energy, typically a wand, being the most important and basic of all wizarding tools. One can do unfocused and uncontrolled magic without a wand, for many spells as one progresses in the study of magic. A few advanced wizards and witches are known to be able to perform directed magic without a wand. A wizard or witch is only at their best when using their own wand. When using another's wand, one's spells are not as strong as they normally would be, due to the Laws & Principles of Wandlore.

What Are Spells?

The definition of a spell is "The term for a piece of magic." A spell can be considered the realization of a magical action, often accompanied by an incantation (usually - but not always - Latin based) that makes use of the energy of magic in order to accomplish an action; for example, levitating objects, conjuring fire, or stunning a person. Spells often have some kind of physical manifestation or representation such as light, sound, smell or taste. Just as one can produce the desired affects with magic, others can counter act theses effects by directly negating the spell, by deflecting it or interacting with it to have a different end result.
When performed, some spells evoke light from the wand they are cast with, such as the tell-tale red of Stupefy or green of Avada Kedavra. However, other spells, such as Accio and Silencio, produce no visible intermediate effect. Some spells also make loud noises when cast, however bangs and smoke are more often the marks of ineptitude than experience.
Normally, spells require three main factors to be properly accounted for in order to succeed: wand movement, incantation and intent. If one does not move their wand in the correct way, does not speak the incantation properly and/or cannot retain their desired outcome in their imagination during casting then the spell will fail or backfire.
The incantation of a spell is what you recite to make it work. Spells can be cast non-verbally but the incantation still needs to be said in the head of the spellcaster. Most known incantations derive from the Latin language but there are a few which are from English or other languages.
It should be noted that spells can be performed with or without speech, though performing spells nonverbally is very difficult and requires a good deal of practice, as it requires concentration and mental discipline. Spells cast without the use of a wand are also possible, but are very difficult. Most incantations derive from the Latin language (such as Accio) but there are also some English-derived incantations (such as Obliviate or Stupefy).

Last edited:
That was a thoroughly enjoyable read, you have done a fantastic job writing this!

My one piece of advice is that you look over the final paragraph, although all the information is good and correct, I felt while reading it did not make much sense.

Other than that! Fantastic!!

P.S. I would love to be part of this project in some way, this is something I have wanted to create for myself for a long long time but I have never had the skill to do so, please let me know if I can help you in some way but if not that's absolutely fine :)

Last edited:
That was a thoroughly enjoyable read, you have done a fantastic job writing this!

My one piece of advice is that you look over the final paragraph, although all the information is good and correct, I felt while reading it did not make much sense.

Other than that! Fantastic!!

P.S. I would love to be part of this project in some way, this is something I have wanted to create for myself for a long long time but I have never had the skill to do so, please let me know if I can help you in some way but if not that's absolutely fine :)

Don't worry about that last paragraph, we still have a lot of editing to go. As for helping, that is exactly the point of this thread, I'll send you a PM shortly.

Hi!

I helped out last time by providing my draft of the version I wrote. but I have the same Issue: lack of art work! maybe post in the free paper prop thread- the 300+ page one- as many people follow that thread and it may be more noticed there. I would love to read your version of the book- any I dea when you will post it?

I'm waiting until Harry Potter: book of spells" comes out for PS3 so I can get all the new info and add it to my copy, and just do a genral revision, then get it printed again.

the Standard book of spells is somthing I've always wanted, that and Hogwarts: a History:)

Hi!

I helped out last time by providing my draft of the version I wrote. but I have the same Issue: lack of art work! maybe post in the free paper prop thread- the 300+ page one- as many people follow that thread and it may be more noticed there. I would love to read your version of the book- any I dea when you will post it?

I'm waiting until Harry Potter: book of spells" comes out for PS3 so I can get all the new info and add it to my copy, and just do a genral revision, then get it printed again.

the Standard book of spells is somthing I've always wanted, that and Hogwarts: a History:)

Cheers decat, I will do that. Thank you for your earlier contributions also, while we didn't end up using it, any help is appreciated!

the harry potter exhibition is coming back to new york and last time they had all the text books displayed including the original standard book of spells from sorcerer's stone I'll try to get pic when I go.

Cheers decat, I will do that. Thank you for your earlier contributions also, while we didn't end up using it, any help is appreciated!

thanks for the credit.

Note that another member subbmitted a PDF of MY text that she claimed to have found on another website, despite the fact that the RPF is the only place I posted it.

That said my version is based from the HP wiki, however I spent many hours rewording and editing it.

Last edited:
the harry potter exhibition is coming back to new york and last time they had all the text books displayed including the original standard book of spells from sorcerer's stone I'll try to get pic when I go.

Photos aren't allowed at the exhibition, and in any case (in Sydney at least) all the books were displayed closed, except advanced potion making, so you can only see the cover, and we know what that looks like.

Still, I'm sure you will enjoy the exhibition- I certainly did! (and take plenty of money for the giftshop too:)

Photos aren't allowed at the exhibition, and in any case (in Sydney at least) all the books were displayed closed, except advanced potion making, so you can only see the cover, and we know what that looks like.

Still, I'm sure you will enjoy the exhibition- I certainly did! (and take plenty of money for the giftshop too:)

I did enjoy it last year when it came to new york I went in it twice and I'm sure I'll enjoy it because I know there will be more props and costumes

I'm not sure if much new was added after the first time it was in new York, but it's worth going again anyway:)

Just a quick update, mansfield9231 and Jhadha are now both involved in this project. If you know how awesome these people are, you know how awesome (hopefully) our project will turn out.

Hello Just to clarify, Decats work ( the PDF file ) She provided us as start point is his and will be stated in the book. Decat will and is as contributor to this project. At the moment we are about finished with the spells per say, Decats work so far has received minor editing as to be a filler with the file we have. Once the spells are complete we plan to do major editing to his work, ( not that it isnt good it just isnt what we are going to use and how it will sit in style we are doing the book) as well as to add more of the text that is not spells. I do admit that we could have been better at giving Credit ( i will assume that fail) as most of the staff is currently in school/collage/University and i should have cleared this up sooner, being that i am more in the forum.
Sorry Decat that was my mistake.

Last edited:
Hello Just to clarify, Decats work ( the PDF file ) he provided us as start point is his and will be stated in the book. Decat will and is as contributor to this project. At the moment we are about finished with the spells per say, Decats work so far has received minor editing as to be a filler with the file we have. Once the spells are complete we plan to do major editing to his work, ( not that it isnt good it just isnt what we are going to use and how it will sit in style we are doing the book) as well as to add more of the text that is not spells. I do admit that we could have been better at giving Credit ( i will assume that fail) as most of the staff is currently in school/collage/University and i should have cleared this up sooner, being that i am more in the forum.
Sorry Decat that was my mistake.

Apology accepted. by the way, I'm a she:)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back