The SS Galactica sails again

star-art

Sr Member
More is better! Here's yet another studio-scale battlestar project in the works:

http://customreplicas.com/BSG Phase 3.htm

What's really amazing is the folks at CR cast nearly every single kit part needed to complete one of these monsters. (Everything you see in the photos that's tan is made from quality resin.) I just got the entire set of cast parts and it took me more than two weeks to sort through them all! There are a LOT of parts here.

Overall, the quality was pretty much just like the original kit bits, but the resin actually weighs less which I found surprising. I can't imagine all the effort that went into molding all this.

Doing well, thanks! :) I've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger this year. I'm doing the design/engineering and providing the built Plexiglas structure for this project, but not the detailing with kit parts -- their crew does the finishing work (and they're doing a fantastic job, I must say).

I also got hired earlier this year to build a giant space station miniature for a movie. I'll be putting some info about that project up at SB when I have a chance, hopefully later this year.

Oh yeah, my book will be back in print this Christmas. Volume 2 will soon be in the works and I hope to have it out by next June.

So many projects, so little time. . . :D

This probably a stupid question but, is this a KIT that is in the works and will be avaialble for sale? or is it just for build up's by the makers?

Either way, it is absolutely stunning. I'd love one myself someday. :love

WOOOW! I have a question...how are you making the negative hull lines on the TNG enterprise? Do you lay down pinstripe tape and glaze with primer, then remove tape?

Doing well, thanks! :) I've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger this year. I'm doing the design/engineering and providing the built Plexiglas structure for this project, but not the detailing with kit parts -- their crew does the finishing work (and they're doing a fantastic job, I must say).

I also got hired earlier this year to build a giant space station miniature for a movie. I'll be putting some info about that project up at SB when I have a chance, hopefully later this year.

Oh yeah, my book will be back in print this Christmas. Volume 2 will soon be in the works and I hope to have it out by next June.

So many projects, so little time. . . :D

Last time we talked things were not this well for you, I am happy everything
is turning around in good ways!! Congrats on the new work........and thats good news on Vol2!!

Thanks for the update, Charles.

Nice to see the years of research and development being put to such good use.

Talk about a labor of love...

(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

This probably a stupid question but, is this a KIT that is in the works and will be avaialble for sale? or is it just for build up's by the makers?

Either way, it is absolutely stunning. I'd love one myself someday. :love

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller, Bueller..............?

Tap tap....... Is this thing on?................ LOL.

I don't think I'm telling tales out of school to reveal that this is a private commission. So far as I know, no commercially available "kit" version is planned.

Sorry, I have been out of town and away from the computer for the last week.

Thanks for the comments! :D

To answer your questions, this is a one-off build, not a kit. It's possible the resin castings may be available on a limited basis. But, considering the amount of labor involved in making them, only a lucky few are likely to get a set.

As to "negative hull lines on the TNG enterprise," I have no idea. I'm building a battlestar, not a star trek ship. LOL The lines on this model are laser engraved.

Regarding my own personal build, I decided to start over, but I don't know when I'll have time to concentrate on it. When I get this project done, I have some other projects that have been waiting in the wings for a long time and I'd like to focus on other stuff for a while.

OK, a long-awaited update has finally been posted at the CR site here:

http://customreplicas.com/BSG Phase 3.htm

The model is getting close to being finished. The landing bays are now under construction and the rear end caps are being 3D printed. The rear of each bay is amazingly complicated with 3D-printed outer shells, laser-cut interior frameworks, forced-perspective visual effects, a backlit transparency of the interior matte painting, and a complex printed circuit board with interior ights as well as sequenced landing lights. It's a LOT of stuff crammed into a very small small space.

The rear engine openings were also very complicated to design. We 3D-printed those as well so they would be nearly perfect. There's a built-in ventilation system along with some high-tech lighting inside the engine compartment.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back