The Smugglers Room - Star Wars Themed Prop & Rec Room

Fuzzual

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Alright everyone, the funds have been allocated, the plan has been drafted, and unbelievably the wife has given her full consent. :eek

Some of you may have seen a few of my projects:

Imperial Foosball Table
Imperial FoosBall Table

Death Star Poker Table
**death star poker table**

And if you have seen these, you probably thought I fell off the radar, and gave up. The truth is, I got these projects going, and then realized the home they were sitting in (my Basement) was not ultimately what I wanted.

My wife is an Interior Designer, so it took me three years of begging, pleading, and more begging to get permission to do what ever I wanted to our basement. She caved, well that is to say, agreed, and believe me, the price I will have to pay is HIGH:behave BUT ITS WORTH IT!!!!

So, long story short, I am transforming our basement into the ultimate GEEKDOM! My poker table will sit proudly in the center, and my foosball table will no doubt accent the absurd decor of my very own starship.

I have mapped out the room pretty well, and have put several years of planning into it, but I would love any suggestions you may have along the way. This site has been very helpful to me, and I have made some great friends along the way. You always make me see something in my projects that I did not see myself, so post away!:cool

I have concept graphics posted below, and for the most part I am attempting to follow as close as possible, but I am sure adjustments will be made as work is done. I did find the graphics online, and adapted them to fit my own design, if the original artists sees them here, please know I am not selling or reprinting anything, they are simply a reference for the project.

I am posting all my projects on this thread going forward, as they all have something to do with the basement as a whole.

I hope you guys will enjoy the build!

Last edited:
Re: The Smugglers Room - Full Scale Entertainment Room

Seeing the detail you put into your projects this will be nothing short of amazing. Can't wait to see the updates!

Re: The Smugglers Room - It Really Ties the Room Together!

The Design:

Overall view of the Poker Area. (This side of the basement will be built out first)

6378075159_6c28cc4cd7_b.jpg

North Wall: (There will be access to my Furnace behind the panel nearest the column)

6378074145_0fee46d4c5_b.jpg

South Wall:

6378074381_9b19475090_b.jpg

Blueprint Wall: You can't see this section from the "overall view" (1st image) this short wall is just around the corner.

6378076581_1feed3eddc_z.jpg

Rack wall: This wall is also not seen in the overall view, this doorway leads into our laundry room, and also shares the wall that contains my Audio Video Rack. (They add a nice touch to the overall feel of a space ship)

6378076105_c9b852b1f3_b.jpg

Window Well: I also have a very unsightly window well in my basement, so I thought it would be cool to dress it up a little. It will still be fully accessable in case of evacuation, but it will just look better:cool

6378075491_95d969d4be_b.jpg

Poker Lighting: This is the design of the low hanging lights above my poker table. I have shown the design of the room to the 10 or 12 people that play poker weekly at my house, and asked how they minded playing poker in a space ship . . . surprisingly no one had a problem. They said as long as the beer was cold, the food was good, and football still showed up on 92" screen, they didn't care if they were surrounded by random plumbing parts glued to the walls.

6378074659_f6aa915644_b.jpg

and the Ceiling treatment: I purchased an RGB LED 20' strip last week for $30 on ebay. it even comes with an IR Remote Control, so I will be able to add it to my Crestron Control System, so that from the poker table, I will be able to adjust the color scheme on the ceiling!! pretty cool huh?:love

No Lighting:

6378210521_c2de22d798_b.jpg

Red Lighting:

6378211177_ddff5cfdb7_b.jpg

Blue Lighting:

6378211881_ca2ccb0cbf_b.jpg

Last edited:

I started the official build of the North wall this weekend. I only had Saturday to work on it, but I was able to get the first panel about 75% It needs a fair amount of work; sanding sealer, small bondo treatment, and of course paint. Then lighting treatment, blah, blah, blah.

I have decided to build all the panels, and the various base level "Greeblies" before sealing and painting. Then I can get a good feel for the space, and make adjustments were needed before the final touches are put in place.

All that being said, it was a good start!

6377936721_202681f8dd_b.jpg

North Wall before treatment:

6377940161_52cf0f8f88_z.jpg

First panel up, rough fit.

6377943189_a955e9f268_b.jpg

First Greeblie assemble (recognize the silver box???)

6377947943_af36ecca34_b.jpg

And Greeblies up

6377946541_176c6af617_b.jpg

Wow.

I'm thinking bigger, better words, but I can only say 'wow' at the moment.

This is going to be Epic....

Some people could only dream of what you are about to do, the very best of luck, watching with high interest!

wow! nice work :D

Can't wait to see the finished room.......................

OMG Star Wars Nerd Heaven.... can i come play The Old Republic in your starship when it comes out Pleaaassseee Lol

Love your other work so definitely subscribing to this thread. If you don't mind.
1. When do you expect to finish this ?
2. Are you building this all yourself ?
3. Are you displaying any props ?
4. Will there be a TV or Projection setup?

I think it would be awesome to come up with a holochess set up in there as well.

Thank you guys for the kind words! Yes Zeafour, you are welcome to geek out in the basement on Old Republic!

Man...I wish I had the time, energy, money, and talent to do something like this!

Subscribed!

When this is finished it will be epic!

Love your other work so definitely subscribing to this thread. If you don't mind.
1. When do you expect to finish this ?
2. Are you building this all yourself ?
3. Are you displaying any props ?
4. Will there be a TV or Projection setup?

I think it would be awesome to come up with a holochess set up in there as well.

Thanks Amish! as far as answers go:

1. I expect to finish the "rough" build, prior to paint, (I am going to build all the panels and test fit everything) by the last week in January. (that is if there is no unusual travel for work) The next step will be to wire up all the automation, and lighting. I want to test fit all of that before paint as well. Then I am hoping to have it all painted by the end of February. From that point it is a matter of finishing off all the detail, which I am hoping I can complete by the end of February to the first week of March. This is a pretty tough timeline, but if I can get a little done each day, it should be possible.

2. Yes, I am doing all the work myself. :cry (I may have a friend of mine that is an electrician help with a few odds and ends, but for the most part it is all me.)

3. I will have props. The back wall is actually a display case for my collection. There is not a very good rendering of it, but I will try and get some photos taken of the work in progress. It will have an upper cabinet, and a lower one as well.

4. I am planning on several TV's actually. I am hoping to incorporate 4 small LED displays above the light fixture, so that while playing poker, I can run football games, and other sources above. As far as projection goes, that is on the other side of the room, there is a 92" projection screen on that side. That end of the room will start construction following the poker area.

Thanks for the interest!

This is the CAD drawing of the upper Cabinet display, I will try and get a couple of photo's loaded of the actual unit. It is not complete, but I started the cabinet late in the summer.

6384600807_2f3d818f47_b.jpg

I should also mention, one of the beauty replica's that will be sitting in this space is being designed for my by SteveStarKiller, you may have seen his Falcon Renderings, if not, you NEED to:eek

http://www.therpf.com/f11/screen-accurate-millennium-falcon-cockpit-cg-model-102451/

The beauty I speak of is this: (I believe SteveStarKiller and I will do a separate thread for that piece, as it deserves a little more attention than just thrown in here. But I thought you guys might like a teaser:cool

6384745047_2ba579440d_b.jpg

This console will be sitting just to the right of my Display cabinet, and left of my Audio Video racks. It should look great!

Man...I wish I had the time, energy, money, and talent to do something like this!

Subscribed!

Time is only granted by a loving wife, Energy is provided by my friends at 5 hour energy (take 2 of those at once, plus a snicker bar, and you can go for 8 hours straight), and money . . . well MDF is pretty cheap, and I have spent the last 2 years saving every plastic bottle, scrap wood, and left over yet interesting piece of trash from being thrown out.

I told my wife, the best way to go green, was for her to let me glue trash to the wall:lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back