The slowest Pulse Rifle WIP ever! (pic heavy)

Xhiwar

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi there!

I thought I‘d post this here too.
So about 15 years ago, I decided I wanted to build a Pulse Rifle. After much research, I knew I wanted a full metal replica as close to a real steel as possible (but without the hassle of real steel). So airsoft it was. Took me a few years to source the SPAS cage and stuff, and even though I came pretty close to finishing my first build (see the only existing image here), there always was something I wanted to do differently: exchanging the Maruzen, metal shrouds, moving bolt, etc.

So here we are, 15 years later, and I believe I finally have the parts to finish this baby.
First of all, I need a grip to hold the whole thing. Here are pics of my modified real Thompson wood grip WIP:

Sanding of the sides done, reshaping partially done:
gripsanded.jpg

With the “lines” filed into the grip. I’ll have to throw away the file, because the angle is now crooked (due to the nails I used as a guide for straight lines…)
gripfiled.jpg

OK, now to the reason I’m excited about this WIP thread: I got a WE Thompson M1A1 GBBR airsoft gun and upgraded it with a steel kit (which was way too expensive…):
lower.jpg

The whole Thompson is now full steel externally, and most of the internals too! It iis reeeally heavy already!
It can use real grips, so that’s why I used a real wooden Thompson grip (although I had to re-tap the threading as the angle was way off).

I couldn’t help it and had to make a video (you can really tell the weight of the steel bolt):

So, here’s a shot of the parts I have next to me right now, I should be getting new parts in the next few weeks and still have other parts in the basement that I will be working on, amongst them the HCG aluminum shrouds.
thompsonspas.jpg

Stay tuned, I might even finish this thing within the next 10 years!
icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers!
Roman

I dont know what internals you are using but.....on my live fire PR, racking the bolt was a chore because the shrouds made it difficult to pull back the bolt. IE hard to get a good grip on the bold handle. Thompson/Kahr sells a soft spring kit and extended bolt handle. Easy peasy now.

Good things comes to those who wait...er, 15 years:eek::eek::eek: No prob, it's going to look very nice when finished! Eager to see your next update;)

Good things comes to those who wait...er, 15 years:eek::eek::eek: No prob, it's going to look very nice when finished! Eager to see your next update;)

Well, it took quite a while to source all the parts (most importantly the SPAS parts), and then I was constantöy swapping parts and improving it. But yes, no alternative to make a moving bolt caused me to shelf this for quite a while. Bit now it‘s back on! :cool:

Staying with the all-steel theme, I was able to get an airsoft Dominator. Full steel! Check out my video here: (Dominator DM870 on top, APS CAM870 at the bottom)

Cheers!
Roman

Alright, I got some parts out of storage:

92F113D8-B6D7-4F9F-8FCF-3AD544F08DF4.jpeg

The stock is a very tight fit over the upper receiver. I‘ll need to bend the sides outward a little bit, but haven‘t had any luck (I tried hammering a wooden wedge between the sides and left it in there a few days, but I think the wood was too soft). Any ideas?

Cheers!
Roman

If I see it the right way the material of the stock is about 2mm thick and its made from steel.

That will need a lot of power to widen it. How much must it be widened?
I think it would be much easier to mill it out from the inside.

Hah, time for a necro post, that's great!
I actually have been up to a lot, I prepared my mag bottoms (there's a thread on the Aliens Legacy forums), and also, I was able to widen the stock through the wonders of technology unheard of: A set of "reverse pliers" I found on eBay. I managed to comfortably widen the stock at the problematic place, so now it fits like a glove.
IMG_2320.jpg

But there's been alot of progress with most parts, I'm just very bad at documenting it the rare times I actually can work on the rifle.
But stay tuned for updates, I'm making progress here! ;-)

Cheers!
Roman

Yes, I‘ve had them custom machined based on the plans by Bug Stomper. I think you can find them on the Aliens Legacy Forum somewhere. The parts are made from 40mm x 40mm x 3mm steel square tube.

Cheers!
Roman

Last edited:
Alright, time to update this (once every few years). :)

IMG_4016.jpg

It has been difficult and I had a huuuge lot of help from Stefan (Bug Stomper), but I was finally able to have all the steel parts bent, welded and blued. The NG steel kit (M1A1) seems to be parkerized instead of blued, but I‘ve grown a bit fond of it, so it‘ll stay that way. I was reluctant to let the SPAS cage out of my hands, so I painted it myself with matte black paint for ovens (high-temp paint) and put the whole thing in my baking oven at 280 degrees Celsius for an hour to „bake“ the paint. The paint is very tough, but we‘ll see what racking the pump a few thousand times will do to it. :)

I had to redo the front block as the mag tube of the Dominator airsoft 870 seems to sit a few millimeters higher than on the real thing. I should get the replacement by the end of January.

Next step: modifying the HCG aluminum shrouds. They don‘t really fit yet at all, seems the SPAS cage on the HCG sat a bit higher, and I‘ll need to make room for the stock and the plate holding it to the Thompson. Also, I had to enlarge the opening for the barrel/barrel vent in the front. Will update again at some point in the future. :cool:

Cheers!
Roman

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back