The Shredder goes to a con

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by ZGarts, Sep 9, 2015.

1. ZGarts

ZGarts New Member

So I recently got the itch to make a costume. I started off with just thinking what would be fun and stumbled upon a good looking pepakura file of the Shredder helmet. If I can find the link again I'll share it. So I started making this large paper helmet. (I work nights in a call center so there is alot of down time) Before long I had a very large paper helmet, the face mask, and the blade that wraps around the head.

So one day a friend I work with tells me about a comic book expo not to far from where we live. This puts the thought in the back of my head and I stop just thinking about this as a helmet I'm making and I start thinking of a full costume. I'm a kid that grew up in the 90's so I took a huge influence from the original cartoon, referenced some of the newer cartoons and re-watched the movies (excluding Michael Bay abomination).

I frantically started working on it. Once I made up my mind (and got my wife's approval) the cons was a little more than a month away. There was alot left to do. I started dusting off some old skills. I had to refresh myself with how to do fiberglass work and bondo and I found a new application for my dremel. I was tricked into learned the art of patience with spray paint and that with the right layers of paint you can make paper look like metal. After some failures (I had to remake the helmet blade as the first one warped and twisted very badly) I ended up with something I am very proud of. Here is my Shredder. What do you think?

tumblr_nuf9ahImbh1rpy36oo2_500.jpg tumblr_nuf9ahImbh1rpy36oo1_500.jpg

http://zgarts.tumblr.com/post/128719413503/this-is-me-at-the-river-city-comic-expo-i-think-i

2. gothic

gothic Sr Member

well done for getting it finished

3. Radical Gordon

Radical Gordon New Member

I like it, the mask is really good. Great work.

4. ZGarts

ZGarts New Member

Thank you. It was alot of work but with the help of my wife and her skills with a sewing machine we knocked it our like champs!

Thanks! It looks really cool in person. I'd love to make another one this time all out of metal. I think that would look bad *!

5. gothic

gothic Sr Member

I would avoid metal some cons might not like it all those sharp points might be classed as weapon like ? could be wrong but don't want you showing up at one and be told no, a metal one for display would be wicked

6. ZGarts

ZGarts New Member

Oh yes it would be for display only but it would be BEAUTIFUL. I don't want to get detained at a con for anything like that. I'll stick with fiberglass, paper, and bondo.