The Shadow (1994) Pistol - Needing help on shine

Mister Wayne

Hey,

I'm new here but a longtime member of the BOTB.
Last year I assembled a Shadow costume modeled after the film version from 1994.
8527187635_d66d6b218a_om.jpg

The pistols were a big point of contention for me because I really wanted to get the nickel plated look shown in the film, but couldn't find an existing nickel plated gun in my price range (and I'd prefer airsoft because it's lightweight).
So in the end, with Con coming up fast, I settled on a 1911 metal airsoft gun with a cheap spray painted silver paint job.
693m.jpg

Obviously in terms of film accuracy there are quite a few problems with this, but primarily I'm trying to increase the shine, bringing it closer to the mirror finish in the film.

A week ago I was watching some of the Tested videos about Adam Savages props and he extolled the virtues of something called Rub 'n Buff. I've been checking into some tutorials about it, and I'm excited to give it a shot.
First of all, I'm wondering from your guy's experience how shiny you can buff the prop up. Is it going to be any better than the spray paint job already on the prop?
If not, or if the change is going to be marginal, what are some ways I could take this existing prop and improve the paint job? Someone on the Brotherhood mentioned Vacuum metalizing, which sounds awesome but I am a college student, so to a certain extent the 'accuracy to cost' see-saw will always have to skew toward the cost side of things.

Anyway, I'd love your guys' input!

Really cool costume, I love the character and the movie too (despite it's weaknesses). Sorry, can't help with the gun just wanted to admire the costume :)

Rub and buff does give a decent shine once you really buff it but it certainly won't be a mirror finish. Also don't seal it or put a clear coat over it because it will dull it.

I haven't done it myself yet, but I have seen another prop maker paint the object black, and while it is tacky before it dries, she rubbed a shiny aluminum powder into the paint. After it dried, she would polish it to a pretty darn good shine. Looks real similar to cold casting. Good luck !

Big fan of the movie, and your costume looks great!

Here's my crazy idea, which you are in no way obligated to try: aluminum duct tape. Applied carefully to the slide, it might do the trick.

-MJ

Cool setup! I love The Shadow!

Now! About the finish on the guns! The best look you could get, is gonna be with Alclad chrome paint. You
have to apply by using an airbrush. Than you can seal it with pledge floor wax.It's the only way to do it!
Do a search for "everything you need to know about Alclad paint" I did a large write up, step by step
process on the stuff. I could post a link tomorrow, cause I'm on my phone right now. Check it out! Maybe
it will help!

Rub-n-Buff will NOT give you the look of a nickel plating and since it is a wax based product I would not recommend it for anything that will be in your hands.
I do not have any experience with it but from what I have read I second the Alclad Chrome recommendation. It is one of the best options for a chrome paint.

There is another type of chrome paint that is available in a spray can if you don't have access to an airbrush. It is called Spaz Stix.

Thanks for all the compliments. I'm pretty proud of the costume. ;)
And thanks for all the suggestions! So many possibilities!

I do not have access to an airbrush, so the aerosol certainly interests me. I would assume that the mirror finish achieved by the Spaz Stix doesn't just appear right out of the can. What would you recommend for buffing the surface to that kind of sheen? Are there specific cloths that would work best with a sprayed on paint versus others?

Here's a link to my experimenting! If anything, you could try using the Preval paint system. It lets you put paint in a jar, and spray paint, like

a spray can. I don't know a lot about the Spaz Stix stuff, but I'm willing to bet, you cannot coat it with regular clear coat. You may have to

experiment, but in the end, you will need a water base clear coat. Like Pledge floor wax.

Alclad chrome - my first results, and some advice needed

So, here's an update on my progress.
My girlfriend wanted to try the Rub 'n Buff for some of her art projects as well, as I ordered some and tested it out on a piece of cardboard. It looks pretty good for silver, but doesn't match the shine of plated metal at all.
I'd been reading the reviews for the Spaz Stix on amazon and the detractors mentioned Krylon Professional Chrome that supposedly worked better. (Some had mentioned that while the Spaz Stix works excellently on the plastic of model cars, it doesn't work so well on metal or other materials).

Has anyone worked with this stuff before:
http://smile.amazon.com/Krylon-1010A-Premium-Metalic-Original/dp/B000C027P4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

If so, any comments on it's how effective it is?

And again, if I use an aerosol paint like this, what is the best method for shining it up? Paper towel? Cleaning cloth? Mineral oil?

The biggest problem that you will find in working with any of the chorme paints, is it turns
dull after clear coating. If you do not put a top coat over top of the "chrome" paint, it usually
wipes off. That's where Future floor wax (pledge) water based coating needs to be used. It needs
to be applied with a airbrush, or a Prevost aerosol system. I have tried many different options, except
the Spaz Stix. My post that I linked to Alclad paints is one example, with some of the same end
results.

I can't say that you will ever really get a nickel plated finish look with paints, but you may get something close.

Last edited:

Definitely. Know where I can find some for a college students budget? ;)
I tried for the longest time to get myself some longslides (preferably airsoft or otherwise prop, much easier to get into conventions that way) and I had no luck, so I ended up having to go with a regular silver .45.

But given the chance I'd upgrade in a heartbeat.

I hope the krylon chrome works for you. as I have had no luck using It. seems like the stuff never dries right for me. good luck with this....

I hope the krylon chrome works for you. as I have had no luck using It. seems like the stuff never dries right for me. good luck with this....

What usually goes wrong with it? Does it just never apply smooth for you? Or does it start to peel or crack really fast?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back