The Scot P1 is in the Greg Jein P2...

TOS Phaser

Member
I was working on my next "Practical Phaser Gun" poster and was gathering up all of my Greg Jein (GJ) P1 reference photos from the TPZ last night and glanced at one of the last scanner photos of the right side view of the GJ P2on a red background...
GJrightside.jpg

Photo source the TPZ - it was genius - the scanner yields an architectural "elevation photo" - - Did Dennis take these?

And BAM - I realized the Hero P1 currently on the GJ P2 was the Scot P1 - the twin* of the "Nona" P1 but with Velcro on the left side! * shape and thickness

As some of you know I posted a thread about there originally being 2 B&W Hero ("practical") P1s with Velcro on the left side. I even posted (in another thread) the scene from episode 6, "The Man Trap" where Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock both have Hero P2s hanging on their gold pistol belts! (The Spock P2 and the Scot P2) - -
I will post the link in a reply ASAP

It was accepted on the TPZ that the following P2 from episode 8, "Charlie X" was the GJ P2:
img_0219.jpg


And if you don't believe it (and the close up photos that robn1 posted on another thread) then perhaps the following photo taken my Gen1 Apple iPad will convince you:
Sulu P2 is GJ.png

As you can see in this "retinal" display image closeup - it is as robn1 said in his post - the left side of the P2 sight window was not on the GJ P2 body for this scene.

So what exactly am I saying here?

When the "redshirt" on the left walks into the gym wearing the GJ P2 on his gold pistol belt the B&W P1 (with Velcro) that is in the GJ P2 in that scene is not the Hero P1 currently on Greg's P2!

Look at the difference between the two Hero P1s - the shape and the thickness:

compare GJ photos 2.png


This side by side photo of the GJ P2 as it is now and the B&W Hero GJ P2 as it was in episode 8, "Charlie X" clearly shows the P1s are not the same. And both P1s have/had Velcro on the left side!

For the purposes of my book I named each B&W P2 so that I could keep track of them through episodes: 5,6,7 and 8 when I was trying to determine which "Practical Phaser Gun" was which in Season 1.

And IMO - the Hero P1 currently on the GJ P2 was the Hero P1 that was filmed on the Scot P2 (the "Riley/Lenore" after Wah Ming Chang "reworked" them) in episode 6, "The Man Trap" on Captain Kirk's gold pistol belt.

I contend that there were two B&W Hero P1s with Velcro on the left side. The Sulu P1 and the Scot P1.

(1) The Sulu P1 was approximately the same thickness and shape as the Spock P1 (the "TMOST" P1). Whenever Mr. Spock wore his Hero P2 on his gold pistol belt - in episodes 5 and 6 - the Sulu P1 with Velcro on the left side was inserted.

(2) The Scot P1 was approximately the same size and shape as the Kirk P1 (the "Nona" P1). When Captain Kirk wore the Scot P2 on his gold pistol belt in episode 6, "The Man Trap" - the Scot P1 with Velcro on the left side was inserted.

The following photos of the "Finney" P2 with the "TMOST" P1 inserted and the "Unknown" P2 with the "Nona" P1 inserted will hopefully help to back up points (1) and (2) of my theory:

Finney P2 with TMOST P1.png

"Finney" P2 with the "TMOST" P1

Unknown P2 with Nona P1.png

"Unknown" P2 with the "Nona" P1

You can see the Nona Hero P1 in the Unknown P2 is not as thick as the TMOST P1 in the Finney P2.

The following photos compare the P1 in the current Greg Jein to the "Nona" P1 in the "Unknown" P2 and then the P1 in the GJ P2 in "Charlix X" to the "TMOST" P1 in the "Finney" P2:
Unknown P2 - to - GJ P2.png

Charlie GJ - to - Finney.png


Do you see how similar the two P2s with Velcro are to the two P2s without Velcro?

So to summarize my theory: Walter M. Jefferies ("Matt") and the Desilu Studios "effects department" made two sets of "practical P1 phaser guns" before filming of Season 1 began. Each set had one B&W Hero P1 for carry and another twin B&W Hero P1 for firing in the same P2 when the left side needed to be shown.

So if I am correct - the Scot P1 with Velcro - the twin of the "Nona" P1 without Velcro is currently in the GJ P2.
 

TOS Phaser

Member
Here is my posts about there being two Hero P2s on gold pistol belts in the same scene:

 

ALLEY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It’s commonly accepted that there were 4 Hero Phaser II’s with companion Phaser I’s. All of them would have come out of the same molds and had the same general shape and details, though all of them have variances by virtue of being handmade.

We see two of them in their black and white state in The Man Trap with velcro on the side of the Phaser I for use on their utility belts.

6E3EDC8E-8790-4F90-8D56-A4703BC9957E.jpeg


However, after the refurbishments / upgrades to the Heroes by Wah Chang, we never see evidence of two heroes being used as belt hangers; just the Jein. Belt hanger duty, thereafter, was overall limited to the vacuform “Crapazoids” in early Season One, and then to the fiberglass Midgrades from mid-Season One, onwards.

E0712A4F-2ED7-462C-AB61-2E1FEE7390E0.jpeg
1624CE3D-8AEF-416C-83D4-584C376BC90C.jpeg
622280B2-4082-4F90-BD56-DFDE220D1EFF.jpeg
8452CA3A-59A0-4962-8467-92596D257156.jpeg
7C4E4434-57C0-4291-A285-AFA315C5B05E.jpeg
 
Last edited:

TOS Phaser

Member
It’s commonly accepted that there were 4 Hero Phaser II’s with companion Phaser I’s. All of them would have come out of the same molds and had the same general shape and details, though all of them have variances by virtue of being handmade.

We see two of them in their black and white state in The Man Trap with velcro on the side of the Phaser I for use on their utility belts.

View attachment 1639999

After the refurbishments / upgrades to the Heroes by Wah Chang, we never see evidence of two heroes being used as belt hangers; just the Jein. Belt hanger duty was overall limited to the vacuform “Crapazoids” in early Season One, and then to the fiberglass Midgrades from mid-Season One, onwards.

View attachment 1640001
You wrote: "After the refurbishments / upgrades to the Heroes by Wah Chang, we never see evidence of two heroes being used as belt hangers; just the Jein." - - Yes I agree Hero P2s were never worn on belts again after Wah Ming Chang "reworked" them.

However - I disagree with the belief the Hero P2 filmed in "Shore Leave" was the Greg Jein for the following reasons:
1. The nozzle is too high.
2. The forehead crack is not evident.
3. The P2 sight window looks more like the "Finney" than the Greg Jein.
4. The top of the forehead is flat not curved...
and:
5. The Hero P1 filmed in "Shore Leave" is the other Hero P1 with Velcro which was thicker than the Hero P1 currently on the Greg Jein. It appears to be similar in shape and thickness to the TMOST P1 except it has Velcro on the left side.

Shore Leave P1.png

This Hero P1 was in the Greg Jein P2 when it was filmed in "Charlie X". This shot shows the rear of the P1 sticks up over the rear deck of the P2 more than the current Hero P1 in the Greg Jein... - - Alley thanks for posting this photo - I suspected the other Hero P1 with Velcro was like the Greg Jein P1 in terms of no jewel and the alignment of the left side of the thumb wheel to the sight hood. I could not grab it from my TV.


You also wrote: "All of them would have come out of the same molds and had the same general shape and details, though all of them have variances by virtue of being handmade."

This statement gets to the heart of my argument - "being handmade" does not account for two Hero P1s being thicker than the other two Hero P1s. Nor does it account for one of the thick Hero P1s having Velcro and one of the thin P1s having Velcro. So if there was no plan by Matt and the Desilu props department ("effects department") to make two sets - then what does make since is that two different "prop makers" or "effects department personnel" each made 2 of the 4 B&W Hero P1s. And this is why two of the 4 B&W Hero P1s are thicker than the other 2.
 

feek61

Sr Member
You may have mentioned this before but where is the evidence that there was another P1 with velcro? I don't think that is bared out by the video evidence.
 

ALLEY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
You wrote: "After the refurbishments / upgrades to the Heroes by Wah Chang, we never see evidence of two heroes being used as belt hangers; just the Jein." - - Yes I agree Hero P2s were never worn on belts again after Wah Ming Chang "reworked" them.

However - I disagree with the belief the Hero P2 filmed in "Shore Leave" was the Greg Jein for the following reasons:
1. The nozzle is too high.
2. The forehead crack is not evident.
3. The P2 sight window looks more like the "Finney" than the Greg Jein.
4. The top of the forehead is flat not curved...
and:
5. The Hero P1 filmed in "Shore Leave" is the other Hero P1 with Velcro which was thicker than the Hero P1 currently on the Greg Jein. It appears to be similar in shape and thickness to the TMOST P1 except it has Velcro on the left side.

View attachment 1640088
This Hero P1 was in the Greg Jein P2 when it was filmed in "Charlie X". This shot shows the rear of the P1 sticks up over the rear deck of the P2 more than the current Hero P1 in the Greg Jein... - - Alley thanks for posting this photo - I suspected the other Hero P1 with Velcro was like the Greg Jein P1 in terms of no jewel and the alignment of the left side of the thumb wheel to the sight hood. I could not grab it from my TV.


You also wrote: "All of them would have come out of the same molds and had the same general shape and details, though all of them have variances by virtue of being handmade."

This statement gets to the heart of my argument - "being handmade" does not account for two Hero P1s being thicker than the other two Hero P1s. Nor does it account for one of the thick Hero P1s having Velcro and one of the thin P1s having Velcro. So if there was no plan by Matt and the Desilu props department ("effects department") to make two sets - then what does make since is that two different "prop makers" or "effects department personnel" each made 2 of the 4 B&W Hero P1s. And this is why two of the 4 B&W Hero P1s are thicker than the other 2.

Unfortunately, I am not understanding what is being described here or what is being shown in the singular blurry photo of a Phaser One.

The number of TOS Heroes, and their associated details, have been thoroughly and exhaustively researched. I am pretty comfortable with the conclusions already drawn, as outlined in my prior post. This includes the conclusion that the Jein Hero may have, indeed, been cracked when it was a Black and White, repaired by Wah Chang, and then subsequently re-cracked at a later date.

I am also pretty comfortable with the conclusion that the Jein Hero was the only post-Wah Chang refurbishment of the Heroes that was intended to be worn on a utility belt.
 

TOS Phaser

Member
You may have mentioned this before but where is the evidence that there was another P1 with velcro? I don't think that is bared out by the video evidence.
In episode 6, "The Man Trap" - Kirk and Spock are both wearing Hero P2s on their gold pistol belts. I posted the screen caps here:
Star Trek TOS Hero Phaser Observation
(#13)
And I wrote: in that response: "The following cap from episode 6, "The Man Trap" at approximately 32.X min reflects two Hero P2s hanging on two gold pistol belts:"
 

TOS Phaser

Member
Unfortunately, I am not understanding what is being described here or what is being shown in the singular blurry photo of a Phaser One.

The number of TOS Heroes, and their associated details, have been thoroughly and exhaustively researched. I am pretty comfortable with the conclusions already drawn, as outlined in my prior post. This includes the conclusion that the Jein Hero may have, indeed, been cracked when it was a Black and White, repaired by Wah Chang, and then subsequently re-cracked at a later date.

I am also pretty comfortable with the conclusion that the Jein Hero was the only post-Wah Chang refurbishment of the Heroes that was intended to be worn on a utility belt.
You wrote: "Unfortunately, I am not understanding what is being described here..."
I am describing the photo you posted of the Hero P2 that Captain Kirk pulls from the Velcro pad on his trousers and dry fires at Sulu's tiger:

Shore Leave P2.png

And I wrote the following statement about the photo (above) of the Hero P2 that Captain Kirk was holding in his hand:
"However - I disagree with the belief the Hero P2 filmed in "Shore Leave" was the Greg Jein for the following reasons:
1. The nozzle is too high. - - the nozzle on the Greg Jein is in line with the bottom of the P2 in front of the trigger
2. The forehead crack is not evident.
3. The P2 sight window looks more like the "Finney" than the Greg Jein.
4. The top of the forehead is flat not curved..."

You and I have discussed this on my previous thread on the Greg Jein in "Shore Leave" here:

Star Trek TOS Hero Phaser Observation

And in response to your statement: "The number of TOS Heroes, and their associated details, have been thoroughly and exhaustively researched." - - I was told the same thing over and over again when I joined the TPZ (in 2002?) and yet I found a number of things that apparently the "experts" who had performed the "exhaustive research" had missed.

Alley - I have no agenda. I seek only the truth.

If my hypothesis is wrong and you have a high resolution photo that shows the current thin Hero P1 with Velcro was in the Hero P2 filmed in "Shore Leave" - I can admit it and move on. However to just tell me the "experts" already decided this in the early 2000s - is not acceptable or "comfortable" to me.

I will grant you that blurry photos are by no means proof even though photographic evidence is all we have now. However many of the "tells" that differentiated the "Practical Phaser Guns" when they were first made by the Desilu Studios effects department were still present after Wah Ming Chang "reworked" them. If someone can grab a high resolution pic of the "blurry" photo in your post that shows the Hero P1 was not the same thickness as the Hero P1 currently in the Greg Jein - then the "experts" were wrong.

And to make certain that others do not misunderstand my response to your post: My statements about the "blurry" photo was in regard to the thickness of the Hero P1 that was inserted into the Greg Jein P2 when it was filmed in the "red shirts" hand in episode 8, "Charlie X". In my opinion (which was the point of this thread - a new hypothesis based on the photographic evidence) the Hero P1 with Velcro inserted into the Hero P2 filmed in "Shore Leave" is the same Hero P1 that was in the Greg Jein P2 when it was filmed in "Charlie X". Here are the photos from above:


GJ P1 comparisons.png
These photos are not "blurry" and clearly show 4 different Hero P1s - two with Velcro on the left side and two without.
And here is the same montage with annotations:


photos annotated.png


And because I covered up the thick P1 on the GJ P2 photo from "Charlie X" here is a larger version:
Thick P1 w Velcro on GJ in Charlie X.png


Again - in my opinion the thick Hero P1 with Velcro inserted into the Greg Jein P2 - filmed in "Charlie X" is the same Hero P1 with Velcro that was filmed in the "Finney" P2 in "Shore Leave". And - In My Opinion - the thick Hero P1 with Velcro that was filmed in the Greg Jein P2 in "Charlie X" is NOT the Hero P1 with Velcro currently in the Greg Jein P2.
 

ALLEY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
You wrote: "Unfortunately, I am not understanding what is being described here..."
I am describing the photo you posted of the Hero P2 that Captain Kirk pulls from the Velcro pad on his trousers and dry fires at Sulu's tiger:

View attachment 1640689
And I wrote the following statement about the photo (above) of the Hero P2 that Captain Kirk was holding in his hand:
"However - I disagree with the belief the Hero P2 filmed in "Shore Leave" was the Greg Jein for the following reasons:
1. The nozzle is too high. - - the nozzle on the Greg Jein is in line with the bottom of the P2 in front of the trigger
2. The forehead crack is not evident.
3. The P2 sight window looks more like the "Finney" than the Greg Jein.
4. The top of the forehead is flat not curved..."

You and I have discussed this on my previous thread on the Greg Jein in "Shore Leave" here:

Star Trek TOS Hero Phaser Observation

And in response to your statement: "The number of TOS Heroes, and their associated details, have been thoroughly and exhaustively researched." - - I was told the same thing over and over again when I joined the TPZ (in 2002?) and yet I found a number of things that apparently the "experts" who had performed the "exhaustive research" had missed.

Alley - I have no agenda. I seek only the truth.

If my hypothesis is wrong and you have a high resolution photo that shows the current thin Hero P1 with Velcro was in the Hero P2 filmed in "Shore Leave" - I can admit it and move on. However to just tell me the "experts" already decided this in the early 2000s - is not acceptable or "comfortable" to me.

I will grant you that blurry photos are by no means proof even though photographic evidence is all we have now. However many of the "tells" that differentiated the "Practical Phaser Guns" when they were first made by the Desilu Studios effects department were still present after Wah Ming Chang "reworked" them. If someone can grab a high resolution pic of the "blurry" photo in your post that shows the Hero P1 was not the same thickness as the Hero P1 currently in the Greg Jein - then the "experts" were wrong.

And to make certain that others do not misunderstand my response to your post: My statements about the "blurry" photo was in regard to the thickness of the Hero P1 that was inserted into the Greg Jein P2 when it was filmed in the "red shirts" hand in episode 8, "Charlie X". In my opinion (which was the point of this thread - a new hypothesis based on the photographic evidence) the Hero P1 with Velcro inserted into the Hero P2 filmed in "Shore Leave" is the same Hero P1 that was in the Greg Jein P2 when it was filmed in "Charlie X". Here are the photos from above:


View attachment 1640696 These photos are not "blurry" and clearly show 4 different Hero P1s - two with Velcro on the left side and two without.
And here is the same montage with annotations:


View attachment 1640697

And because I covered up the thick P1 on the GJ P2 photo from "Charlie X" here is a larger version:
View attachment 1640698

Again - in my opinion the thick Hero P1 with Velcro inserted into the Greg Jein P2 - filmed in "Charlie X" is the same Hero P1 with Velcro that was filmed in the "Finney" P2 in "Shore Leave". And - In My Opinion - the thickness Hero P1 with Velcro that was filmed in the Greg Jein P2 in "Charlie X" is NOT the Hero P1 with Velcro currently in the Greg Jein P2.

Agreed; we could be seeing a different Phaser II body, here, with the Jein Phaser One attached.

The nozzle of the Jein Phaser II appears to be attached about as low as you can go on the front of the Phaser II body. The Shore Leave Phaser II might be attached to the front of the body at a slightly higher point. It’s hard to tell from the image.

A53C4B0E-1227-4390-A949-A7DA49F7F0EB.png
C688449F-18B4-4F15-BF8D-0BA3478145A3.png


Although…when you look at how large the emitter mounting hole is on the Jein, it could have been re-mounted at any time between filming the series and today.

119DAE28-6AA0-4F9C-B604-86BCE092044D.png
938E1E5D-A3DA-473F-BCCF-A4FF99B9D8DF.png
 
Last edited:

ALLEY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The Shore Leave Hero definitely appears to have the jewel-less Jein Phaser One.

7CCF8DCF-9171-49D0-909B-0FB25CC0C5ED.jpeg
AB859BDC-A06F-4D0C-AA99-F828B77AEA19.jpeg
CF18C8D2-3119-4421-AB2A-86DE26DB4FE1.jpeg


As to whether the Phaser II is the Jein, the front screw securing the sides of the Phaser II Body together definitely appears to be in the same spot as the Jein.

3A5BE792-24BE-4BC6-A605-D7D20F7D173B.png

DBDDD37F-7476-432C-9C7C-34FF7E53AF78.jpeg


As to the rest, it does seem to me that the nozzle is mounted slightly higher than the Jein in its current state.

26842C49-71FD-4A70-90C6-88DF07A08594.jpeg
E03F6B4B-8979-46CC-9A35-904B3FF1DF32.jpeg
D9158879-AB0A-4D53-ACEF-A810F13422EB.jpeg
FB0AA7D3-B39F-4D31-8137-E4D497850B17.png
FC24178A-EC4E-40F1-B94B-A7FE3C3ADFF3.png
 
Last edited:

feek61

Sr Member
In episode 6, "The Man Trap" - Kirk and Spock are both wearing Hero P2s on their gold pistol belts. I posted the screen caps here:
Star Trek TOS Hero Phaser Observation
(#13)
And I wrote: in that response: "The following cap from episode 6, "The Man Trap" at approximately 32.X min reflects two Hero P2s hanging on two gold pistol belts:"

Oh, ok. I thought you were talking about after the modification to the grays of which I believe there was only one P1 with velcro on the side (based on the video evidence).

Where did the name "Scot P1" name come from?
 
Last edited:

TOS Phaser

Member
Oh, ok. I thought you were talking about after the modification to the grays of which I believe there was only one P1 with velcro on the side (based on the video evidence).

Where did the name "Scot P1" name come from?
The name "Scot P1" came from my deep dive into the 4 "Black and white" (B&W) Hero P2s or the 4 "Practical Phaser Guns" filmed in episodes: 5, 6, 7 and 8 over the summer.

The "black and white" (B&W) Hero P2s are difficult to tell apart unless you have high resolution and freeze frame capability. So I initially named the 4 B&W Hero P2s to keep track of them through the 4 key episodes.

For example I was fairly certain the following two photos of a B&W Hero P2 held exclusively by Captain Kirk in episode 5, "The Enemy With" and episode 6, "The Man Trap" was the same P2 as the "Red Alert" P2 from episode 13, "The Conscience Of The King" and the "Unknown" P2 from episode 15, "Court-Martial" Outtake as well as the Hero P2 that Mr. Latimer pulls out of the weapons locker in episode 14, "The Galileo Seven":

Kirk P2 in episode 5, "The Enemy Within":

Kirk P2 - ep5 The Enemy Within.png



Kirk P2 in episode 6, "The Man Trap":
Kirk P2 - ep6 The Man Trap.png


Kirk P2 "reworked" by Wah Ming Chang:
Unknown P2.jpg

"Kirk P2 "reworked" by Wah Ming Chang:
Red Alert P2.png


So I named the "Red Alert" / "Unknown" P2 the Kirk P2 when it was a B&W P2 in episodes 5 and 6.

And the following B&W Hero P2 I named the Scot P2 because in the screen caps - it appeared to have a cylindrical emitter like the Kirk P2 but it had no screw on the right side near the emitter just as the Spock P2 did not.* Note how the P1 in the Scot P2 looks like the P1 in the P2 that Spock wears in episode 5, "The Enemy Within". I called this thin Hero P1 with Velcro - the "Scot P1":

* after "rework" the Spock P2 was the "Finney" P2
Scotty wears the Scot P2 - episode 7.png

The Scot P2 became the "Riley/Lenore" P2 after WMC "reworked" it.

Spock P2 - ep5 The Enemy Within.png


So to recap the hypothesis that I was proposing with this thread - in my opinion - based on the photographic evidence:
1. There were two B&W Hero P1s with Velcro on the left side.
2. One thick one and one thin one - each matching the size and shape of the "TMOST" P1 and the "Nona" P1.
3. Also I propose that both of these Hero P1s with Velcro were "reworked" by Wah Ming Chang.
4. Both of them were not "reworked" with a jewel/ crown because no close ups were to be made of the Hero P2s hanging on a belt.



Sulu P1 and Scot P1.png

"Greg Jein" P2 "Riley/Lenore" P2

Note: The thin P1 or the "Greg Jein" P1 is shown in the "Riley/Lenore" P2 on the right - representing the P2 as it was filmed in episode 7, "The Naked Time" on Mr. Scot's gold pistol belt. The thick P1 is shown in the "Greg Jein" P2 on the left - representing the P2 as it was filmed in episode 8, "Charlie X".

It was the thick P1 with Velcro that was used in the "Greg Jein" P2 in episode 8, "Charlie X":
Sulu P2 - ep8, Charlie X.png

This is not the same Hero P1 with Velcro that was used in the "Riley/Lenore" P2 on Mr. Scot's gold pistol belt...

5. And the thick P1, with Velcro, was filmed in the "Finney" in episode 17, "Shore Leave" not the thin P1 or the "Greg Jein" P1.
 

feek61

Sr Member
10-4,

I agree with you that there were probably only 2 B&W heros. I am not so sure that there is enough or will ever be enough evidence based on screen caps to match the B&W's to their gray counterparts. The fact that they were completely reworked would make any match at best, a best guess since there is no documentation on what was actually done during the reworking. Chances are the nozzles were removed, additional nozzles made, new bodies made, the existing bodies striped down for repainting and reworking which would suggest the parts may have been interchanged or replaced by new parts. There are just too many unknowns to match across the conversion IMHO.
 

TOS Phaser

Member
10-4,

I agree with you that there were probably only 2 B&W heros. I am not so sure that there is enough or will ever be enough evidence based on screen caps to match the B&W's to their gray counterparts. The fact that they were completely reworked would make any match at best, a best guess since there is no documentation on what was actually done during the reworking. Chances are the nozzles were removed, additional nozzles made, new bodies made, the existing bodies striped down for repainting and reworking which would suggest the parts may have been interchanged or replaced by new parts. There are just too many unknowns to match across the conversion IMHO.
You wrote: "10-4, I agree with you that there were probably only 2 B&W heros." ??

feek61, your own Desilu Studios "inventory list" reflects there were 4 "Practical Phaser Guns" [aka black and white (B&W) Hero P2s] made with 4 Practical Phaser Gun Unit 1s before filming of the series began!

I think - you may have keyed on my diagram that shows two different WMC "reworked" full color Hero P2s with Velcro on the left side of two different Hero P1s - a thick one and a thin one.

However - my deep dive into episodes 5, 6, 7 and 8 have yielded - in my opinion exactly that - and I will post them either here or in the youtube video I promised on the forgery thread.

You then wrote: "The fact that they were completely reworked..." This statement and the following sentence implies that Wah Ming Chang reinvented the B&W Hero P2s. And that no one knows what Wah did... I disagree - since many prop makers have made near perfect replicas of B&W Heros and WMC (full color) Heros. Wah did not alter the internal mechanisms of the Hero P2s or P1s. He modified the fiberglass shells (moved the screw on the right side near the nozzle, added metal fin clips to the rear after cutting out the original molded fins), added a ten turn knob to the P2, added metal and plastic parts to the P1 and painted the 3 major components: P2 (black to blue-gray), P1 black to dark grey and the P3 (power pack grip) from white to silver or bronze depending on which "expert" you talk to.

As for new Hero parts being made - after Desilu studio decided that no more Hero P2s or P1s would be made - only Midgrades would be made - I think the evidence is clear based on the Midgrades that have been examined - the Desilu Studios effects department no longer made Hero Parts after the first Midgrades were filmed in Season 1.
 

ALLEY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I know I am in the minority opinion on this topic, but I’ve always liked the sleek utilitarian look and color scheme of the “Black and White” Phasers…

717BDABF-0555-48AC-86F1-4AFDFB67D240.jpeg


Of course, this was also back when they were referred to as a “Phaser Weapon” vs. a Phaser I / Phaser II.
 

AJK001

Master Member
I've always liked the B&W and was really happy to be able to snag one of the B&W TWC Conversions when they were available. My very first Phaser was one of the 23rd Century Phaser kits and instead of trying to paint it, which I mess up anything I try to paint, I just left it in the black plastic and only painted the handle white. That kept me going for a long time.
 

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
Top