The Science Of Silicone.

WhiskeyBeard

Hey folks, I had a few questions regarding casting a silicone skin...

What is the average lifespan of silcone?

In particular, a 3/4 Predator skin that would terminate just past knees + elbows. Also hands + feet would be needed, but no hardware sculpted into the design - (backpack, armor, etc.)

Ideally, when not worn, it would be stored in a temperature controlled enviornment along with proper diligence in care and maintenance.

How much silicone would be required?

What is a realistic material cost estimate for this, using mid to screen quality material?

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Mike

A good quality platinum silicone that is not being used as a mould should last you for years. I have platinum silicone moulds that are 3 years old, and while they're now starting to lose some flexibility and showing signs of sticking to casts (mould release is a must now), they're otherwise fine. The ageing is mainly due to the fact that I've pulled dozens of casts from them. Essentially, I wouldn't worry about how long it's going to last you. It's not going to start falling apart on its own like foam latex would.

Depending on the size of the skin, you're probably looking at 6-8 gallons of silicone...$1000-$1500 for materials. That's a guess though...I've never made a skin.

I purchased 11 kilo of GEL00.

So far that has done 2 x 1.1 scale pred heads, 1 vampire full head mask, a preds left hand ( i have not made the right yet ) There is easily enough silicone left over to do the right hand and probably A leg.

i would be VERY surprised if it took more than 30kilo, and expect my suit to take approx 26 kilo. the painting cost can be kept down my making for own paints, which i am doing for the p2 head paint up.
but on my P1 i am using FUSE FX , as along with me not wanting to cut corners, i used them on the P1 head and LOVED the effect/depth they gave.

FUSE FX are expensive though. but even using those as paints and silicone i expect my head/torso/legs and hands to come in painted at approx $950 for materials. ( not including the fibreglass for moulds )

Isn't silicone as a costume media far heavier than say latex, I know there has been discussions on the bat forum about silicone bat suits weighing a heck of a lot more than urethane?

Im pretty sure i read that platsil gel10 lasts for around 10 years plus But that will depend how much you wear your suit in the out door enviroment
i suppose. It will cost abit for a full suit but its tuff stuff will last ages. Usurper Whats Gel00 like compared to gel10?

Gel00 i am told is like Gel10 with deadener.

as for weight i am not really botherd, my P1 head even with dreads only weighs just over 7 lbs.

Gel00 i am told is like Gel10 with deadener.

as for weight i am not really botherd, my P1 head even with dreads only weighs just over 7 lbs.
Have you ever used Gel10 i think i read that Gel00 got more of a skin texture its more flexible with the same strength. I was asking cause i may purchase Gel00
instead of Gel10 next time.

No i have never used Gel10, only Gel00.

i think i read that on the nfo sheet or maybe on the effecs lab.

as for the Gel00 texture thing, yeah i heard it feels more like skin, and is softer, hense why it is like gel10 if gel10 had deadener added.

Thanks as always for the feedback, it is much appreciated.

Is the Gel00 or Gel10 a UK only product? If so, is there an Americas equivalent? I know Smooth On has a suite of products available.

Thanks Usurper and MasterAnubis. In the Netherlands liquid latex is very expensive. And most of the time only small amounts are sold 1 liter (or 1/4 of a gallon) is the maximum what you can buy.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back