The Sandman (Netflix series)

I've just finished the episode 'The Sound of Her Wings' which is one of my favourite stories from the books, and the adaptation was just perfection. Knocked it out of the park. Incredibly moving and thought-provoking, and Kirby Howell-Baptiste absolutely owns the part of Death. I also loved the way that the episode segues seamlessly from 'The Sound...' into the wager between Death and Dream that leads to the Hob Gadling storyline, also beautifully realised. After Gwendoline Christie's brilliant Lucifer and David Thewlis's astonishing turn as John Dee, my goodness but this series is setting the bar high. I love the books so much, but any fear I had that the series wouldn't do them justice has been allayed... perhaps as the result of Neil Gaiman's close involvement. It's wonderful.

Just ordered my supplies to start this one. I've made a few of his props, & the free patterns, instructions, & techniques are top notch...

Not sure if I'll do a thread, but we'll see. I love the fact that the helm had been interpreted so many different ways, by so many different artists, that there's really no wrong way to do one, but this one may be my favorite.
That’s the same one I’m starting I just wanted to make some of my own changes and put my own spin on it and include some more elements from the helmet from the show, just wanted to see if anyone had already done before the show! Thanks tho

Episode 4 was amazing and by far my favorite of the series so far. Very much feels like the comic in a lot of respects. The visuals and story are great. On to Episode 5 tonight.

Mazikeen was the highlight for me of 4, exceptionally well played. The battle between Morpheus and Lucifer was really well done.

Last edited:
I only started watching and Episode 4 was a stand-out. This show really caught me off guard with how slick and genuinely good it is. The writing by Gaiman is nearly untouched and there's strong performances and some great visuals.

I think the only detractor for me is that this falls into some modern film-making traps that undercut some more of the dramatic and fantastic elements (especially at the start in the first two episodes), whether it missed a moment of mood and atmosphere, or feels cheap fishing for an emotion.

Thanfully, those moments are few and far in-between and this show is top-notch otherwise.

Addendum to my last post:

The middle of this series is great and genuinely feels like the book's better anthology stories. The last third of the series focuses on the Rose Walker arc and is really anticlimactic; a bit of a wet squib. I don't know if it was just the original weakness of the story coming through that passed retrospection because it was a comic book, or if it was because of its weak acting and lifeless directing. Or maybe a bit of both?

In any case, if they're going to be staying faithful to the comic's stories, then more please! Good and bad, if they're all going to be as well produced as the show has been so far, I have no problems.

This isn't just a Sandman problem, but something that people talked about way back when seasons went from 20 episodes to 10. Lots of people said "this will cut out all of the filler!" Nope. It doesn't. In fact, a lot of Sandman, especially in the middle, felt like filler. Way back when, it was like "we've got 10 episodes of plot and 20 episodes to fill." Now, it's "we've got 5 episodes of plot and 10 episodes to fill." Can you just figure out how much actual plot you've got and then only film that many episodes? Please?

This isn't just a Sandman problem, but something that people talked about way back when seasons went from 20 episodes to 10. Lots of people said "this will cut out all of the filler!" Nope. It doesn't. In fact, a lot of Sandman, especially in the middle, felt like filler. Way back when, it was like "we've got 10 episodes of plot and 20 episodes to fill." Now, it's "we've got 5 episodes of plot and 10 episodes to fill." Can you just figure out how much actual plot you've got and then only film that many episodes? Please?
This makes no sense at all considering that every single thing shown so far is adapted from a source, with NOTHING specifically created for the show.

Each of those stories in the 'bonus' episode may not have had Morpheus as the 'main' character, but each added to either the history or growth of his character, with the cats showing that he's the lord of ALL dreams & Calliope showing the somewhat merciful attitude he developed after his own imprisonment.

I'm curious as to what in the middle of the series seemed like filler to you?

This makes no sense at all considering that every single thing shown so far is adapted from a source, with NOTHING specifically created for the show.

Each of those stories in the 'bonus' episode may not have had Morpheus as the 'main' character, but each added to either the history or growth of his character, with the cats showing that he's the lord of ALL dreams & Calliope showing the somewhat merciful attitude he developed after his own imprisonment.

I'm curious as to what in the middle of the series seemed like filler to you?
Which doesn't matter. They had to pare the original source material down to fit into a TV format. It's an entirely different type of storytelling. I'm not talking about the bonus episode at all. Most of the episode with the ruby and the diner could have been cut. So could most of the episode with Death. The beginning bits with Rose where she was trying to find her brother, a lot of that was unnecessary. You could have told the important bits in a much smaller package easily.

Which doesn't matter. They had to pare the original source material down to fit into a TV format. It's an entirely different type of storytelling. I'm not talking about the bonus episode at all. Most of the episode with the ruby and the diner could have been cut. So could most of the episode with Death. The beginning bits with Rose where she was trying to find her brother, a lot of that was unnecessary. You could have told the important bits in a much smaller package easily.
Gotcha. Thanks for the response.

I really like these "other" stories that are tangential to Morpheus'. I do agree the execution of the material is sometimes a bit shaky but it's been pretty solid so far. Though it really is Gaiman's writing that shines the brightest and what makes the show work in what would be a typically cliched sci-fi/fantasy show.

I really loved the first season of the Sandman. Coming from someone who just barely finished reading all of Sandman for the first time...it does make me more excited to see how the rest plays out. I can't wait to see the rest of the story, and I really hope we get season 2!

Just finished watching this bonus (?) episode. It was very enjoyable, and the animation for ‘A Dream of a thousand cats’ was so beautifully realized.
The ‘Calliope’ story wasn’t as good (satisfying) as I remembered it being when I read it in comic form. Her distress and predicament didn’t really come across on the screen, and Morpheus’ reaction (overall) was also ‘subdued’ , again in relation to the original comic story.
I can understand and appreciate that different mediums have different restrictions placed on them story/plot and time wise, but overall this series is wonderful. Here’s looking forward to seeing series 2,3,4...., et all !

sks props is offering foam templates for the sandman helmet for free/donations on their website and have a YouTube video too. looks like a fun project.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back